"You're not supposed to be good at everything"

When they say that i don’t think they mean literal player skill. Just mean that they different characters to excel in different situations.

The only place this matters is in the dark hearts of a min/max-er who believes that that +1 DPS they have over the guy sitting next to them is going to make them the hero of the Mythic run.

There are a fair amount of people who will just repeat back what the game director says. The “not supposed to be good at everything” nonsense is one of the things he said. They basically have no opinions of their own aside from the weird reflex to jump on Blizzard’s bandwagon for everything.

5 Likes

I haven’t played it much, but just switching between Frost and Arcane it feels they play entirely differently in different situations. Isn’t that the job of class design, not the story?

1 Like

Please correct me if I am wrong, but many people…maybe too many people are forced to put faith in simulations, data from beta, and whatever else has been datamined to be setup for cutting edge even if that is not their goal.

Not white knighting, but people wanting S tier out of every class is a tall order out of a 15 year old game with all the classes, racials, specs and then throwing in Blizzard’s desire for deleting old borrowed powers for new ones with exponentially ridiculous RNG variables.

Are we to expect fleshed out balance? Is this just another way of saying let me choose? Maybe I do not take this game seriously enough to have an opinion on this.

Why are you telling me what matters to me?

Are you able to look at my achievements? Go tell me how many Mythic kills my account has.

Your greivance does not apply to me.

If it adds flavor to the game and it doesn’t change the fundamental nature of the game, what’s the problem?

Imagine saying this when placed against destro and fire mages right now. Like why bring any low scaling classes because those classes outshine in all categories. They are the meta-knights of bfa right now, and that threatens community heterogeneity by making people question why play anything but those specs.

But cool glad to see your line of thinking that, anyone that has thought A must be in tribe A. Poor black and white thinking on your part.

Basically yea, people like having a healthy amount of choice. Which is why the beginning of this expansion will probably end up just like azerite gear in the beginning of BFA.

Well then, if you’re not Min/Max-ing, you shouldn’t really need to care about it because it’s never going to meaningfully affect you.

I don’t know if it will add flavor to the game. When you get all the essences tis probably fun if you can get the ones your spec needs, but I don’t have the ones that make my specs feel good so the flavor isn’t really there at all for me. I watch videos and see so many more abilities than i have access to.

How am I to assume Covenants wont make me feel the same if I want to try something else?

It’s a hobby OP and some folks take their hobby more seriously than others.

People shouldn’t be discouraged from optimizing what tools they have though. It’s just that you cannot have a hand on all tools at all times.

You might have a point if that someone elses game didnt rely on customers to function or be made in the first place. This isnt a charity, as customers we get a say. They can like it or not, thats up to them. Ignoring customers is a sure fire way to lose money though.

The problem is the fact that players want it to be more of an RPG than an MMO for whatever reason. Guess they got burnt on the MMO side and would rather burn everyone else down than admit with a bit of effort and practice they can improve themselves. Easier to point the finger though and take what they view as wrong away form everyone cause if they can’t heve it, no on can. Not a very healthy attitude and is more than likely going to be a driving force as to why SL’s is going to be a flop.

You are entirely missing the point here. The player character in WoW would be analogous to one party member in Pathfinder. The party in Pathfinder is more akin to a party of players in wow. The “build” changing you are talking about does not compare to a character in WoW changing their build. It would be like taking into account the strengths and weaknesses of every class and building a raid team to face the given challenges present, swapping around people who are good at different things.

Most RPGs don’t tend to allow you to fundamentally alter your character. Putting character power independent of your RP choices is a relatively recent invention, typically in action-oriented RPGs like the more recent Elder Scrolls games, that appeals to a broader audience than an ordinary RPG, so they cut out standard RPG elements (which isn’t bad, it just makes it a different kind of game). I used DnD as an example earlier with somebody else because that’s where a lot of WoWs class fantasy draws inspiration from. Your class choice is going to be better at some things than another given class by its nature. It’s the same thing with your covenant is Shadowlands, just made more forgiving.

1 Like

There’s optimization and then there’s the insanity of crying over something that never going to make any difference when you go to overkill oneshot those 5 world mob camps you just pulled.

Wrong, I want to be good at being a crap player, rolling a Demon Hunter with the highest key being +13 is the best

If every class was S tier, people would find new ways to measure them :rofl:

Covenants are not Essences, as much as Preach or Bellular tells you they are or should be.

Also we’re kind of straying from my point. You said we already had restrictions. People like classes for instance. More “restrictions” don’t seem like something that on a fundamental level the game can’t handle. Nothing is fundamentally changing.

The way you play World of Warcraft will largely be the same, but it feels like a deeper, richer experience.

Personally, I find all the “philosophical” arguments to be complete and utter bunk. Ion says Covenants are meant to be treated as sub-classes. If we take him at his word, then really none of the arguments used against them hold up.

I really only think that pragmatic arguments about specific features hold any water. “This is actually OP” and “this is actually UP”. Notice that so far, this is the feedback Blizzard has actually reacted to. Blizzard is not reacting to throwing tendies on the floor. It’s childish and does nothing, absolutely nothing at this point. If you want to see changes made, give Blizzard specific feedback about problem Covenant abilities, problem Soul-binds, etc.