"You're not supposed to be good at everything"

In other words, you don’t have an argument and are just salty you can’t top the DPS meter always regardless of what you chose to play. Thanks for clarifying.

It’s an RPG. You play a role. From the moment you select your class you are placing yourself in a broadly defined category of play that determines how your character functions and what it is good at. I don’t see how this is much different in that sense.

At this point, it feels like you should be able to pick a race, assign them to a faction, and then select from a giant pool of abilities so that everybody can do the same thing with the same degree of efficacy. I don’t understand the point of playing an RPG without any RPG elements. It seems like there are much better ways to get your fix if you don’t want them.

2 Likes

Well put…

Because choices are supposed to have consequences. /thread.

Your agreeing with blizzard so I just generalized you and said your one of those people that believes people should only be able to play one thing :woman_shrugging:

Forcing people to choose on one type of content they wish to be optimal in is bad game design, you want to pvp but you also want to pve competitively? You have to choose. And that’s a bad thing.

2 Likes

Yet people always fails to mention the dozens of better RPGs that don’t arbitrarily limit player choice.

Example. Pathfinder:Kingmaker. Want to be a sorcerer? Great. Want to tank as that sorcerer? Great! It’ll take a lot of work and setup but you can do it.

RPGs are not about classes and systems. They’re about playing the character you want to play. Good ones facilitate that. Bad ones do not.

8 Likes

RPGS don’t usually limit the core content you can do. That just doesn’t happen. Except that’s what blizz is doing with this system.

3 Likes

No, that’s the wrong meaning you extracted from what I wrote.

I couldn’t of been any simpler.

Games are designed a certain way.

Developers want a certain vision that won’t always agree with others who like to play another way. This need to demand them revert things just to appease their own manner of play is ridiculous.

Define RPG elements? because isn’t Roleplaying is entirely left for imagination and such?

You aren’t limited that much, many RPGS have restrictions. You can choose. They just don’t want you switching, encounter to encounter.

You are talking about overcentralization, and that does not apply here.
Let alone that it is on the developer to balance the game, not restrict the player’s choice due to their inability to balance the game.

2 Likes

Two things: first off, Pathfinder: Kingmaker is a single player game so your actions have no consequences to those around you. Second off, you can do whatever you want with any type of character, just sub-optimally. It’s the same thing here. Nobody is telling you that you can’t do M+ if you’ve built around raiding, you have just chosen which type of content you’re better at.

1 Like

lol
/10chars

Your right, I can choose the suboptimal talents and do suboptimal damage causing a suboptimal ending. My bad, I forgot.

#worldfirstraiderissues… I forgot.

Of course Pathfinder:Kingmaker is a single player game. It means that systems that limit your choice aren’t as harmful because they don’t affect anybody but you so they shouldn’t be an issue, right? Well, they still don’t exist.

In a multiplayer game with a community that expects you to do what is best for your spec/class if you’re doing challenging content restricting things and making people arbitrarily worse than others is not healthy. It’s going to backfire and it doesn’t take a genius to see it.

Also, in Pathfinder (and all other RPGs I can think of) you can outright respec your character or switch your “build” via changing your party members out to be close to ideal for any situation.

You do that in WoW and you’re benching real people or making them play multiple characters. It’s not good game design.

6 Likes

I specifically have said that DPS is far from my concern. I’ve never stepped foot in a current raid and don’t play with people that would expect me to do big damage anyway.

As it stands, I barely have any essences. I’m trying to get them but until I do the spec I thought looked the funnest (which was Fire Mage) feels horrible to play. It is my understanding that I need certain items and specifically a Nazjatar essence to make it feel good.

What I am concerned about is that same complication happening for me in Shadowlands where I want to play a spec but for it to feel good I need to be on x Covenant for its ability. However, because of these restrictions put in place for - for what I can tell - the sake of shortening the gap between good and bad players I feel the players like myself ( that DO NOT CARE ABOUT DPS SO STOP TRYING TO FORCE THAT NARRATIVE ON ME but want to play specs and not have them feel incomplete like they currently do without these extra curricular abilities) are being caught in the crossfire.

Stop assuming everyone only thinks about this in the negative way you want to argue about. Kick rocks.

2 Likes

Imagination plays a large role, certainly, but fundamentally the idea is that your character fits into a predefined archetype. WoW is based pretty heavily upon DnD in terms of class fantasy, and although in DnD there is a lot of leeway in regards to how you can play a given class (aided by the fact that there are way more options in terms of subclasses and how they influence your gameplay) some classes are fundamentally better at certain situations than others. You can mitigate weaknesses and enhance strengths, but there is still a core template that you are building off of. Multi-classing gives you the opportunity to break out of that mold a bit, but you also make sacrifices to do so.

SL is basically going to be the casual expansion OP, which won’t exactly be fun. I recommend just keeping like four of your class at max level and keep them geared and wait for blizzard to pull the plug on all the crap systems.

Yes it does apply here, by putting restrictions on characters (making them weak in areas) you prevent yourself from reaching that situation. It’s an upstream solution.