Your worst fears of Midnight

Somewhere, someone wished for Elven Reunification with a monkey’s paw: Thalyssra x Lor’themar and Tyrande x Malfurion suddenly became a strange polyamorous love …square.

3 Likes

It actually is.

1 Like

You think I play this game for it’s story? I checked out on the lore department whenever Shadowlands was made, DF killed all hopes in coherency and interest. I’ll try to get into War Within Lore, but, I’m not thinking about Midnight or the Last Titan until then.

Being real my fear is people are going to expect something wholly different than what Blizzard intends to deliver—Metzen only said we would be going back to Quel’thalas, and we would defend the sunwell. All of that could be a .2 patch, which is not what people are expecting.

We could still very easily be sent somewhere else for the leveling campaign, like to go get the Arathi empire’s help.

5 Likes

So the land belong to the elements, and not any troll tribe.

War of conquest, negotiations, and everything in between, that is just part of a living world.

If they (story writers) want, they can give some story where the amani conquer or negotiate some lands.

3 Likes

Imagine attacking refugees because of their race, losing the war, losing a tiny portion of your massive empire, then whining about it for the next 7000+ years like you’re somehow the victim.

I hope Midnight does not indulge the insane Amani victim complex.

wut

are we pretending the troll wars started and ended with QT?

2 Likes

QT was already established for 4000 years by the time of the troll wars. The Amani did not lose QT in the troll wars.

The Amani never stole it from the elementals. They had “first dibs” compared to the elves.

Yes. But that doesn’t mean the conquest shouldn’t be addressed. And portrayed as bad.

Negotiations are what I’m looking for.

3 Likes

Why should it be portrayed as bad though? Should orcs be relocated back to draenor and every land they had trough either conquest or settling be given back to whoever lived before?

I’m not saying it is the same situation, but migration, colonization and conquest are things that happen and shape society, and the results can be good or bad, but you have to look the whole picture for that.

Since i know nothing of the amani vs high elf conflict, i will reserve myself from any specific opinion on that

I mean, you’re kind of hitting on the key point there.

If what the orcs did was bad (and it was!), it was bad when the Elves/humans/dwarves/gnomes did it.

As for an answer to what should be done, that’s up to the writers to decide, because there sure as hell hasn’t been a solid universally accepted answer to that for applicable RL issues.

2 Likes

Uh cause it is very very bad? And people support it irl.

Relocated back to Draenor? No. They are refugees. Land they settled, idk why they should leave. Conquest? The same negotations can happen with other races as with the Amani.

You’re just straight up saying colonization can be good. Get a hold of yourself

1 Like

I’m not talking specifically wc1, 2 horde era, but even the settling of durotar.

We all can agree that invading a place and killing everyone there is bad, but not every conflict for land starts that way either.

And that can be explored further.

There’s a pretty massive difference between what the orcs did and what the high elves did.

Orcs invaded Azeroth with the intent to commit genocide and colonize the land.

High elves were refugees looking for a place to live, were attacked by the Amani, then settled in a very small portion of the vast amount of land the Amani claimed, and protected themselves with a shield.

They are worlds apart in difference, but for some reason people are quick to defend the orcs and villainize the high elves.

Thing there is there is no indication the elves drove the amani out of that area. The Amani had not physically occupied the area in a long time. It was just the ruins were sacred to them.

Then it becomes a clash of cultural priorities for which there is no right answer.

The Highborne needed the leyline nexus on Quel’danas to make their new arcane civilization, and it is not like they went there as a conquering army. There were exiles, forced to abandon their first attempt at settlement when void corruption in Tirisfal Glades began to drive them mad. From their perspective why would they avoid taking over land because it had ruins sacred to trolls when they were all starving to death?

The Trolls saw the area’s sacred ruins as a legacy of their empire, and did not feel any sympathy for the mana addict elves that treated them so poorly in the past then nearly blew up the world. Why wouldn’t they try to drive the exiles out? Why would they care if the all the elves died, at that point. It be better for trolls, likely.

2 Likes

Tirisfal was also land claimed by the Amani so even if the elves could have stayed there it would still result in the same conflict. The elves’ choices were land owned by the Amani with void corruption that would corrupt and/or kill them or land owned by the Amani that had ruins.

I have two fears with one being serious and one being silly.

The serious one. I worry that Blizzard is going to only do a surface level story about Elves in general and not give each type of Elf their own moment to shine. Or, worse, focus on only one or two characters rather than giving the playable races the highlights they need.

The silly one. I worry that Blizzard is going to include more spiders. With the upcoming expansion there are going to be a lot of spiders and I’ve made my peace with that (mostly). But I fear that Blizzard is going to keep going with the spiders and my arachnophobia can only take so much. Look, I understand that not all spiders are evil and that they are a good thing at the end of the day. My rational mind understands this. Unfortunately, my rational mind is often being shouted down by the part of me that wants a flamethrower when I see spiders.

1 Like

You can’t have “first dibs” If you aren’t the first one there though? The Amani were not native to those lands, they conquered it from the aqir, who conquered it from the elemental lords.

They did not fall for some nefarious blood elf tricks to make them give up their land. There was no slow encroachment into Amani land with blood elf colonies being set up. It was a group of people fleeing a land that was actively hostile to them, desperate for a place to call home. The Amani lost at their own game, and it is tragic, but they are not victims of some evil colonizers. They were victims of a long line of conquerors, of which they were apart of.

You can if the previous settlers left.

No they didn’t.

No it was a pretty fast encroachment

You gonna always reply to me with a sob story about the colonizers?

Easier to defend attacking refugees and attempted genocide when you label the victims something bad like “colonizers” isn’t it?

1 Like