Your existing mounts will NOT be able to fly in the new expansion

The wowhead writer should correct their post, it’s click baity and inaccurate.

From the Ausgamers interview:

And with that it’s worth noting that dragonriding is limited to the Dragon Isles. “We made these giant expansive zones so that it would work as a gameplay mechanic and for people on a variety of different hardware,” Jeremy Feasal says. “We don’t want to have you fly into a bunch of creatures and then have them pop up around you. We’re designing the whole outdoor game world with dragonriding in mind. Also, we don’t want to invalidate all of the many hundreds of mounts that our players have collected up until now. ” "

1 Like

So what I’m seeing you saying is that it’s okay if Blizzard’s already failing excuse for accessibility gets worse and outright excludes some disabled players because eVoLuTiOn.

1 Like

If this is so, and I believe you, how do they intend on making them relevant? or hasn’t that actually been discussed yet to have enough information to go by? Maybe at a later time they will specify do you think?

even more irritating…

"Finding those different spires to jump off of becomes an interesting thing to look for as you’re traversing the world.”
“…you have to try to figure out how to get as far as possible before you land again

evidently, unless someone made a HUGE booboo in expressing themselves…we arent getting real flight either.

9 Likes

Its not going to be real flight, im quite sure theres going to be a stamina bar too. No, its a minigame plain and simple, it just involves travel.

4 Likes

Which could just mean “…so you can still use them all as ground mounts.”

6 Likes

There hasn’t been a clear cut answer from Ion or anyone else at Blizzard about normal flight yet. I think they haven’t mentioned it yet because they are excited about their new shiny system.

They are gonna have to lol, people are already weary about it and tired of the war for/against flight.

1 Like

I wasn’t worried before but now I am. My worry comes with how they implement Dragon Riding. I was thinking “We’ll incentivize you to fly with a super cool system that’s faster and more dynamic than your normal mount.”

When it instead becomes a full flying mount replacement, I get wary. I’ll need to know more first, before I fully decide but I really hope this isn’t another system that is in EVERYTHING and sucks the fun and life out of the game by being grindy and mandatory to get around the world.

2 Likes

Actually that person said players asked for flying. That’s different from the “nobody asked for” drivel.

Thanks for your 1/2 cent though

It’s not even a mount. It’s a jumping puzzle that you have to level up, get rep for, and unlock abilities. They knew how much players hate jumping puzzles so they decided to turn flying into a jumping puzzle.

15 Likes

I didn’t even think about it that way…now that makes me sad…I’m one who does not like any kind of jumping puzzles let alone having to do one to fly…:frowning:

4 Likes

General Discussion being general discussion.

oh dear jeeebus…is THAT what it meant by ‘mini game’ ?

Straight from feasel “arcadey”

1 Like

Exactly. I’m honestly not looking forward to it. I like flying as it is much like everyone else, but, also, to be honest, I tolerate it. 90% of the time if I can take a taxi, I will rather than fly.

I don’t care much at all for steering, dodging trees, bouncing off rocks, or ceilings, or whatever. I just want more efficient travel and “easy” jump puzzles.

“Physics” based flying holds no interest to me. It might be fun for a scenario, or a random daily, but in general, no.

8 Likes

oh for god sake…now that line is making sense

“[Dragonriding] is very fast and fluid, it’s arcadey,”

“arcadey”
I was wondering about that.
ugh…yeah…not paying for this expansion. I got tons of mogs to farm for a couple years

2 Likes

I’m in the middle on this, I agree with both sides. I absolutely don’t mind Dragonriding being the main form of air travel throughout the first major part of the expansion.

At some point in the expansion, I want them to unlock flying for a regular flying mounts to be able to traverse the skies with our own flying mounts in the Dragon Isles.

Based on the interviews that I saw, the zones were designed with the dragon riding feature in mind. I wouldn’t mind utilizing Dragonriding for the first bulk of the expansion. Similar to what we’ve done since Warlords of Draenor, but not needing an actual achievement to unlock via pathfinding, just after a certain amount of time unlock flying mounts to be useable in the Dragon isles. That’s all I ask for.

If they do decide to double down and never allow flying mounts to be useable to fly while in the Dragon Isles at any point during this expansion, then no, I don’t think I’m okay with that, not one bit.

12 Likes

Exactly this.

Thats my problem at the moment, i don’t like this system but will tolerate it just fine if they tell me pathfinding is coming later.

The problem is, why won’t they just SAY THAT? You know and I know that they know how we feel about this even just a day later. and Still they’re doing these interviews expanding on it yet refusing to just say, we want to try this for a bit but this will come later…and yet they’re not

5 Likes

And if that person hadn’t blamed players for Blizzard’s solution, players wouldn’t be denying that they got what they asked for, which leads us to your current semantic silliness.

1 Like

Exactly this, thank you. Dragon riding sounds cool as long as it’s a lead up to real flight.

I haven’t enjoyed being grounded before pathfinder for a year and dragon riding sounds like an interesting compromise.

3 Likes