Your existing mounts will NOT be able to fly in the new expansion

I’ll be sad to not be able to hop on the smaller flying mounts, and I’m sad your drac character can’t fly, but I’ll survive…especially if dragon riding is fun. I won’t get all bent out of shape about it…yet. :smiley:

Ion’s hateboner for flying is one of the most cringe things I’ve ever seen from a video game developer.

15 Likes

If they replace it with something that is ultimately better/more engaging that isn’t a problem though. It’s only a problem if it is well and truly worse.

What I think we SHOULD be doing is giving feedback on how they can improve it (such as removing a stamina bar, or being able to fly 99% of the time but with the new physics) rather than dismissing it out of hand.

They almost certainly are doing it. We should try and help them shape it to a system that a broader audience will enjoy.

1 Like

The dragonriding has to be more fun and better than our typical flying experience.

I look forward to the skill-ups, specifically the “carry a passenger” skill; much like my druid or sandstone drake.

And to make it better, how about “carry four passengers” so we can all go do the dungeon together?

It is an MMO, we play together. Our dragonriding experience has to include carrying a friend along for the ride.

lol

I’ve always known people will complain about anything. It is just the way it is. But the people saying they will quit because they can’t fly from start. Sounds like this game isn’t for you and that is perfectly ok. Take a break. Play Flight Simulator instead.

it sounds like dragon flying is just a glorified goblin glider knock off …

9 Likes

“This formidable creature’s lineage may be traced to Galakras, and yet further to Galakrond, one of the most infamous of all proto-dragons.”

The son of Galakrond and he cant fly in Dragon Islands Blizz?. The whole place belongs to his father. Respect.

5 Likes

This thread makes my Onyx Netherwing Drake sad.

2 Likes

I kinda hate this. I mean I can’t imagine ONLY flying that one dragon for 2 years. I’ll be spending a lot of time porting back to Dalaran to fly around I guess.

Especially since we literally have drakes that belong to the dragonflights the xpac is based on.

5 Likes

Yeah, I can understand what they’re going for here, but I think it’s the wrong way to handle it. It still feels like they aren’t willing to admit that they’ve fumbled flying since Pathfinder and this is their only way to maintain control. I wouldn’t say the gimmick is either unique or fun. Just limiting. If they had just let us customize our dragon mounts and let us fly on our own if we so choose, it would have gone over much better. People love customizing things. Customizable dragon mounts would have been a selling point by itself. But Blizzard being Blizzard, it is 1 step forward, 4 steps back.

10 Likes

WHY does flying need to be exciting and require constant input? ITS FLYING FROM POINT A TO POINT B. It doesn’t need to be anything other than smooth and convenient.

15 Likes

This is a bummer. I’ll send you my thoughts and prayers as I soar through the sky with my very own Evoker wings :frowning:

On that topic though, I wonder if Evokers will be able to do old-school flight in the old zones, or their wings are useless outside of the dragon isles.

Pretty much this. If this is them testing the waters to see how the community likes this new flying system, that’s fine. If it fails to win the community over, then give OG flying.

4 Likes

I find it ironic that they didn’t want everyone using their water strider, so they made mount equipment, but now they’re restricting players to a specific (although customisable) mount. It doesn’t even work with the existing dragon mounts.

I want to fly in all Dragonflight zones like I currently can in all WoD and BfA zones with my existing mount collection. No fatigue system. No fancy moves. Flying as it functions today. Dragon riding, while better than nothing, isn’t an acceptable substitute for open world flying.

17 Likes

Where’s the A?? WHERE’S THE A???

:laughing:

Seriously though. It doesn’t necessarily need to be and I think that, ultimately, they should iterate on this new system to the point where you could maybe choose a point on the map and let the mount auto-navigate to it for the folks that want it, whilst leaving the more dynamic active play for those that want that.

Actually, watching the dragon swoop, bounce, fly, et cetera automatically would be pretty sick over the static “point and go” thing we have now.

1 Like

Thanks for the correction there lol, i need to proofread. I agree that there are ways to modernize flying, but i don’t think it should be forced onto anyone who doesn’t want that type of system. Which is what they’re doing, trying to reinvent the wheel, which is fine to a degree until you make it a bigger problem

3 Likes

They should permantely remove flying from all future retail expansions

flying ruined wow

Flying has saved this game in many ways. No one wants to freaking spend an hour+ crossing the continent. If you say you do, you’re lying.

14 Likes

/facepalm

How about letting players play the way they want instead of forcing them into your convoluted bad design decisions?

14 Likes

Should allow the exception of the Obsidian Worldbreaker (aka Deathwing Lite)