You lost a potential new player today Blizzard

Honestly? If I was picking up an entire new MMO, I would’ve probably wanted to do the same. I would’ve said, “Let me start at the beginning and go through it in the order that it was originally laid out so I can catch up on who these people are and what they’re doing.”

Starting brand-new players in BFA and not allowing any leeway is weird and offputting. I can see why it might be done for practical purposes, but it’s also silly for getting people caught up on the story if they’d prefer to do that, something that seems to always fall by the wayside in favor of expediency. I had the same problem with Wildstar when I went to play it after a million years, they had a boost-to-max-level for returning players and I was inundated with systems, controls, a million breadcrumb quests going to who-knows-where, uncertain navigation, pointers to places that I didn’t know how to get to, characters and story out of left field that clearly assumed that I knew who the major players in were, etc.

I gave up. It was way too much to be punted straight to the end of things.

New players should have a choice as to how they get leveled up the first time.

3 Likes

Ah, yes :heart: I never can get enough of this story. The only thing Sylvie ever did that I properly enjoyed

1 Like

I don’t understand why the first few comments is hostile towards the OP. This is a valid complaint. People should be able to play the game in order or with scaling being the way it is, any order they want.

Personally, if I was a game designer, I would want customers to start off with one of my best expansions, not one of the least popular.

3 Likes

[quote=“Gnasha-grobbulus, post:82, topic:1288614, full:true”]

Why am I already skeptical?

I don’t know, why are you?

1 Like

Well, the fact that that is the only thing I said you have a response too…maybe you are trolling?

1 Like

Play classic

2 Likes

The leveling experience is a complete mess. It takes like 2 1/2 zones and few dungeons to hit SL content and get kicked out of chromie time.

Even before Chromie the experience was a mess. Content deleted, story removed, whacked out time line progression….

The fact is Blizz doesn’t give 2 craps about making leveling meaningful. It’s all about keeping the endgame subs renewing for dollars.

OP… if your friend uses the character boost that came with SL they should be able to bypass the Chromie restriction and level as they want.

3 Likes

This is the first time I’ve seen anyone claim that multiple people posting on a shared account is an issue in the forums. I think it’s a bizarre claim. So no doubt we’ll see it come up again.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s pretty dumb. If you are new, you are thrown into BFA with basically zero knowledge of what the heck is going on, who these various characters are, etc.

5 Likes

They choose to do this because the storyline in chronological order no longer makes sense - you play exiles reach as an intro into bfa and end up ni the slands - its works.

I do agree that there needs to be some changes to chromie time, especially getting kicked out of it with a 60 sec timer when you hit 50 feels really bad. I was mid quest and a mob dinged me and couldnt finished the quest before i was back in SW.

4 Likes

Is this sarcasm? :joy:

1 Like

No. Multiple humans sharing an account to troll the forums is the accusation I read. Not people posting on their alts, actual shared accounts.

1 Like

Why wouldn’t he just play classic, at least for vanilla / TBC / wrath?

1 Like

I’d like to know what “spoilers” even really are in this context, too.

1 Like

Doesnt buying shadowlands get you a free 50 boost still? Why not just boost to 50 and then use chromie time?

Or if they dont want to use the boost, the dungeons dont have that many spoilers. Be a good friend, level sync, and run dungeons to 50 and then do your lvling plan?

2 Likes

You should have explained that to your friend right off the batt. It isn’t like this is some sort of surprise. So, if you really want someone to blame… :thinking:

Wouldn’t this have involved walking to your starting area and going to town on whatever quests are there?

He could have walked outside and leveled through each expansion on 1 toon in non-Chromie Time, like how it used to happen. You are not “forced” into BfA really…

2 Likes

that’s what I do. When I am finally able to get to the Barrens, I’m almost level 35.

2 Likes

That doesnt seem to be a problem as youd have to do things like read quest text to get the older stories anyway and we know wow players are incapable of reading

The opposite is locking people into completing all the old content before they can get to the new stuff. Often meaning they are left super overleveled (needing to be synced down) to continue their questing.

This is what happens when an MMO is old. The back catalogue of content is too large to funnel a new player through comfortably. Putting people right into BfA is a mess in itself (and it should be optional from the get-go), but you’re not going to be able to have someone quest from vanilla to SL without them unsubbing.

1 Like