Yeah, SOM failed for a reason

How does one good server = didn’t fail :clown_face:

FIXED for ya.

4 Likes

Most of the people who started playing SoM wanted to level (although often just one toon) and go through that “fresh” experience. Leveling is a big part of that.

These players knew what they were getting into.

For those people who do not know and want to learn instead of just making their own reasons up here are some issues that SoM had/has:

• Released too close to the end of “Vanilla” Classic
  • Too many servers at launch
  • PVP system put out right at launch - and that PVP gear being the very best for raiding which caused people do “no life”
  • The PVP drama was quite intense, I find that this makes the game more fun/memorable but it turned some people off.
  • Suspensions for bad chat/language of 8 days from people who were PVP ranking which with the way that works costs even more time
  • Difficulty gold farming due to nerfs of common gold farms (like we are seeing today)
  • Lots of consume grinding or needing to buy due to the buffs to the boss health/changes of raid encounters making them longer, often needing 12 healers with mana pots on cooldown and resistance pots not needed in the original.
  • Gold buying due to the above issues mentioned and then a large 14-day suspension wave making it so that groups could not raid for awhile because so many raiders were missing.

I’ll be honest I haven’t been following SoM lately but this all happened in the first few months. I very much found fun in the game but I didn’t ever plan to stay because I already just did all the raids every week for over a year. I leveled two characters on SoM (one of each faction) and enjoy leveling.

5 Likes

There are people on here who love to hate on SoM, I think it has to do with Blizzard focusing on SoM instead of whatever these people wanted. So it’s some sort of insecurity where they feel a need to push something else down to feel better.

With that being said SoM has had issues (like I listed above) but I’m glad it still has a community. I stopped playing it a while ago and have been raid logging TBCC because that got boring too.

You seem like one of those people that thinks if a server is below a 10k population its “ded”.

5 Likes

have you ever played Rust? OR literally any survival game? They reset the game weekly, monthly.

I mean, NA only has 1 good server. Faerlina and Benediction are both single faction servers.

Only Grobb is a balanced and live server on both sides. Every other server is either a single faction ARPG or its unironically a zero pop wasteland.

Welp, pack it in boys. TBC is dedgaem in NA.

2 Likes

Questing is a massive part of this game. Maybe its not for you.

3 Likes

copium maximum.

1 Like

Sure dude whatever. I don’t play SoM much, I just see folks around when I do. Not many raiders =/= dead.

Not sure why everyone is pointing and laughing like I have skin in the game.

Deluxe Icecrown Pack coming, with a 1-70 boost. And after release when everyone’s considering alts but thinking “nah, too much work” they’ll uncap the number of boosts per account.

Gotchufam.

1 Like

pls

as soon as I get to about lvl 30 I want to die, at launch I avoided that by living in SM til 40 then lived in RFD/ZF til I could then go live in BRD.

I like dungeons and raids, I don’t know why that pisses people off so much

RDF realm-locked would actually increase the server community environment, but too many people who just listen to streamers and can’t think for themselves.

Even RDF 1-70 cross realm, would be better than this. (70-80 should never be cross-realm).

1 Like

Even if it were cross realm it would increase the community if they dropped the server lock on group building.

Literally the only reason that the RDF was anti community was because you couldn’t group up with them again after you dropped group.

There’s no benefit to locking who you can play with to server choice these days.

There was no benefit to it before either, it was just a technical limitation.

People aren’t going to hamstring themselves with small servers for a community feel. The overwhelming majority flock to the most populated server possible.

God no, this would make things worse.

The ‘loss of server identity’ is because cross-realm adds a pool so large that you have zero responsibility or need to respect the people around you. Everyone is easily replaceable.

Megaservers already have a degree of this because they’re too large. Adding cross-realm group building would make things worse because you’re then grouping with people you can’t do anything else with on server, and would lead to demands for cross-realm zones. And at that point what even is server.

1 Like

A few of those posters have been doing it since SoM was released. They just want something to hate on and also they don’t seem to be happy with the changes today so they are cranky and talking to you that way.

No, none of it matters and you can continue to have fun there. I explained SoMs real reasons, if people don’t want to be educated that’s on them (there were posts about it coming out too soon after Classic ended causing population issues and that one I totally agree with).

1 Like

Based on the private server model it was trying to emulate, that should have been a good thing “according to the meta”.

Was this because World Buffs were removed? Because “back in the day” we didn’t use world buffs that much so maybe the “Buff boss, nerf players” needle swung too hard.

2 Likes

You’d think so, but I guess the expected audience wasn’t there. The servers at the very beginning were completely packed but I think a lot of people were trying it out.

Yes, this absolutely played a part. They buffed HP and made a few changes for MC to be more “challenging” but without the world buffs it was a lot for people at the start.

1 Like

No, it did fail. One active server doesn’t = success. They’re never going to do SOM again because of how poorly it did. Trust me. It’s not worth their time.

You will do the quests, you will own nothing, you will be happy.