Y'all really need to tell us what was flagged

This might be true if there wasn’t vastly unequal application of mods. I was plagued for months (damn near a year) in one of the class forums with behavior that absolutely should have been flagged and removed for constantly trolling, if not legitimate harassment due to pervasive nature of it all.

Yet I got hit with “trolling” in less than 30 minutes for pointing out that the primary point of someone’s entire thread didn’t make sense, and all my post did was use a sarcastic tone that at best doubted the OP - nothing insulting, nothing actually trollish trying to get a rise out of anyone, just a “huh, this claim doesn’t really line up,” and I pointed this out in an appeal. I went through the ToS description for trolling, line by line, and pointed out that my post did absolutely none of the things listed, and asked which portion I was apparently guilty of. They didn’t even tell me, they just said it held up, and there was nothing more to be done.

So when a mildly sarcastic post can be hit for “trolling,” yet multi-month spans of posters lying about me, my posts, and my links isn’t somehow trolling or harassment, I don’t think there is a case for being “fairly intelligent” and “figuring it out.” There doesn’t seem to be much of a standard, other than more reports = more action, regardless of the actual rules in place.

uh… you mean… the regular posters who post on one or two recognisable characters, and don’t spam junk on alts every time they feel the need to be an edgelord?

…the same ones who see the level of abuse which happens with the flagging system?

…the same ones who are prepared to have a civil conversation regarding suggestions, instead of just popping into a thread to stir the pot and make accusations?

people don’t just THINK this is a problem, it IS a problem.
especially when the flagging system is so openly abused.

it’s not hard to find heaps of posts/threads which have been flagged into oblivion for no discernible reason.

4 Likes

Sorry, sir, but all of my flagged posts have been restored. This isn’t a case of people being snarky or jerks all the time. This is a case of people either flagging out of spite or flagging because they just use it as a downvote.

My point was don’t tell me AFTER it’s restored what post someone went back in some months old thread to mass flag because they’re salty… tell me in the system message when it first gets flagged.

1 Like

They tell us now, click the arrow.

Maybe stop being so inciting. You’re everywhere, and everywhere I see you post you’re stirring up some drama.

Like that poor guy’s post yesterday who just asked a simple question and some druid kept trying to flag it into oblivion for unknown reasons. lol

The arrow only exists when they send the “your post has been restored” message. It doesn’t exist in the initial “your post was hidden” message.

I feel like this is another Preheat alt… lol

Sorry, but all of my posts have been restored. And all have been completely benign in nature. I don’t know you or why you’re so salty, but let’s not turn this into a personal attack thread, mkay?

i saw that… and i was just confused.

there was absolutely zero reason for anyone to want to flag that thread.

it was weird that they were being vocal about not being able to report something which was perfectly fine

1 Like

Mkay! Whatever you say!

I didn’t know that, ty for the tip.

From what i understand from reading other people post about it, the current forum software treats each character as a separate account. If this is true then i don’t see how they can see they can tell to be honest.

I’m pretty sure i know who you are talking about. If it’s the same person then keep in mind i got false flagged after politely disagreeing with something they said (said post did get restored).

I would rather have someone put me on ignore than abuse the flagging system just cause they don’t like what i said.

And when your posts get restored by a moderator every single time then the problem isn’t you.

I have no likes right now. How about a :cookie: ?

4 Likes

The problem is that you don’t have to actually be inciting. You just have to be unpopular with enough people, or post an unpopular opinion.

We really don’t know if it does or doesn’t. I’ve seen post that claim they can and post that claim they can’t–But I have to assume they can otherwise, how can we switch characters and be logged into the same account?

They would have to be able to see the log in information for each character matches.

EDIT: I’m also reminded that when you catch a silence/ban, the silence/ban is account wide, per game license. So they have to have moderation that connects all of your characters to a single log in ID. Otherwise, you would still be able to post on characters that didn’t receive moderation.

They can tell. I’ve known people who have received two week vacations for mass flagging on alts.

That doesn’t surprise me. lol

Or one person who hasn’t gotten caught for mass flagging yet.

Yes, this is accurate. The forums use an off-the-shelf software package known as Discourse, which is designed as a traditional forum and has no notion of Battle.net account. There’s a bunch of glue code they use to periodically auto-generate forum accounts based on characters associated with a Battle.net account.

Honestly I’m not sure why they changed it over. Whatever in-house thing they were using before switching worked about as well and probably better comprehended Battle.net accounts than the current setup does.

But Blizz absolutely has a way to figure out if you’re mass flagging from one account.

1 Like

No doubt, but I think the added layer of indirection likely complicates things regardless. Some kind of custom solution is a better fit for the WoW forums than something like Discourse.

1 Like

I agree. This system made their lives more difficult— and ours, too, when it comes to things like this.

Now, to be fair, I actually like this forum system. I just had the report system and how alts work. So it’s the backend I don’t like.

1 Like

Some of the bans are subjective. Knowing who banned it is almost as important as why, even if they use nom de guerres or handles. If the same mod or mods is/are banning posts others don’t, something’s not quite right.

Unless you look inside the keg you will never know if I’m drinking or not drinking…hic!