XP Off change was indeed intentional

Azerite gear is literally the worst looking gear I’ve seen in a long time. Maybe WoD dungeon gear has it beat in the ugly category.

Yes, I’m glad someone else thinks this too. WoD had some awkward sets but I still love Warrior’s blackhand set (mythic only).

I actually forgot, I have video footage of my 99 boomkin during legion with the stat templates.

Just so you can see that templates aren’t always a solution, at least if they were implemented similarly to before.

1 Like

I understand. They’re a good idea (in my opinion) but because we have secondaries and not every person builds the same way, that’s why I believed they were not successful. Moonkin seems to be an on-going issue in itself the past couple years. Still kills me how they went from being free HKs to the state they’re in.

Oh no, I had 12 99 twinks, and they were all very much viable (15-16% bonus stats from ILVL). That BG was a stinker IMO because there were a few other twinks in the BG I was focused on.

Boomkin was pretty crazy though in Legion. Nobody was ready for the Moon Drop.

http s://i.imgur.com/rFSyQ4o.png

That was my 99 hunter.

1 Like

Ditto on this. I’m not a fan of any equalization. If I want equalization, I’ll go play a shooter.

2 Likes

I have enjoyed reading your posts here. Good stuff.

This part especially stuck out to me.

Right? Why do so many seem to want to change this game into something else? Just go play something else, lol.

2 Likes

Thanks! Its been something I’ve been thinking a lot about. Playing on Classic servers has given me a lot to think about recently, about the state of the game. Playing on these servers has depressed me considerably, because I feel like the game in its current state is going further and further away from what I enjoyed best about the game.

Leveling in particular is a huge issue I have with retail WoW, and is why I’m leaning toward favoring a leveling squish. I think that a total overhaul of the leveling process (similar to Cataclysm) would be necessary to go along with it, but seeing how terrible Cataclysm questing is to me personally, I have low hopes for any new changes to leveling.

My best option would be to bring back Vanilla questing for (Presquish 1-60. Going from the starter zones straight to Cataclysm leveling just feels so incredibly wrong), revamping BC, WOTLK, Cata, MoP, WoD, Legion, and BFA questing to be considerably shorter while still explaining what happened during these times. This would be such a collosal undertaking that I cant see any profitability in any short term situation, meaning it will never happen.

Basically I feel that the game cannot be redeemed to its previous status, which hurts me deeply because I care so much about it.

3 Likes

Some specs got great stats and some got horrible stats. As a Guardian, the secondary stat I needed the most was versatility. The stat template gave me 0 versatility.

Another reason a slider would have been cool.

You know, this character actually used to be 99 in legion with the template. I had farmed for months the AP and the gear and actually since I was running out of gear upgrades and PvP really was not a challenge anymore, I left it to 101. I eventually got the same predicament where not much was a challenge but it was a bit more equal especially with some specs.

For me too, it was a matter of a fairly cohesive (albeit in some cases clunky) storyline.

Now there is like cata quests which are post wrath, but then BC and Wrath are pre LK kill. And cata I supposed to be pre panda but you can do both.

In some cases I enjoy the zone quests with pretty good story (I enjoy the stonetalon mountain quests on horde as an example), but if they did a level squish, I would almost rather just a quest/storyline overhaul. Obviously like 600x more work for that though. And there is a lot of stuff people might miss story wise, since there is just so much content now and you really don’t have to just run everything.

The game I personally fell in love with was one of possibility (talent trees and multiple, albeit some very bad, builds.) Storytelling, and community. And most of these, debateably all of them, are gone.

I’ll personally play some classic, but the story isn’t new and most of it will be to replay the game as not just a newb kid who can barely read, but like you said - it almost feels like wow is irredeemable at this state.

Personally I’d love if they just used classic as a fresh slate to evolve the game in a different direction with psuedo-perfect information on the cause and effects of some stuff (flying, heirlooms, lfg/lfr, sharding/phasing tech, talent tree removal, quest hub changes, etc) but maybe I’m just a heretic.

2 Likes

You wouldn’t have to use them. It would litteraly be an exp off only option. You could still que in exp on and have no stat templates whatsoever. Idk, it was nice to be able to que up in legion at any level, exp on or exp off, and still get in a few games before the day was up. Stat templates were to streamlined before in legion, and you had no sense of gear progression, experience, or skill or anything. But i mean, it would work for exp off. You could be doing some quests with your exp off because your trying to gate the content and your level grind to finish them without overlvling, and also que up for a pvp bg while dealing with the questing grind. You would also be able to que up for a dungeon if you so chose. It would be nice to just be able to pvp because, currently if you turn off exp, you might as well not pvp. It takes way to much to organize currently. Having an optional template stat added if you wanted to exp off and pvp, whatever the reason was, it would be a nice feature. I don’t see how it attracts bottom feeders though, and the stat template feature wouldn’t be a feature at max level, when your exp automatically turns off, and it wouldn’t apply to xp on. It would just be a nice way to balance anyone wanting to que in exp off at a casual pace.

If Blizzard cannot handle balancing the various reasons WHY twinks were doing so much damage relative to normal geared people, what makes you think templates would be an easy balance change? Templates would have to be created for each and every Class and Spec, and would have to be balanced accordingly. That is at least an equal amount, or even more work as lower level item balance that Blizzard has shown to be unwilling to do. Look at the state of MM hunters at low levels and you can see how difficult balancing each and every level is.

Legion templates were about as simple as could be and they were still being gamed by hundreds of 99 twinks and 19s as well with mist peircing goggles and such. You’re still going to get wholloped by people like me who have hundreds of Saltwater potions and Third Winds stocked up.

Regardless, I’m vehemently against templates in any form as a principle.

4 Likes

Me personnaly im just kind of split. In legion, at least you could pvp. Legion stat templates worked ok, just messed with the sense of progression and skill, and you felt like everyone else. I dont see it as a problem if its just an exp off option. You dont have to turn off exp if you dont want to. You dont have to turn off exp and use a stat template if you dont want to. ANyone caught abusing buggs or things of that nature with exp off stat templates could get suspended or banned. Its really no different than any other exploits in the game really. Just get rid of those peeps.

2 Likes

I just find it odd also that they merged the exp off and on together in legion in the first place. I feel at this point, specially since they are separated, blizzard should add an option to be able to pvp exp off and not be merged. I never thought that blizzard would merge exp off and on together again, but i was proved wrong. So going back to separated again is not a change alot of people wanted to go back to. Stat templates could easily provide players like myself with that sense of casual low lvl exp off pvp myself and friends and others had in legion, and it was a blast. So it just seems odd that exp off and on are separated again, with no compromise from blizzard.

Again, it would be easier to just fix the issues with gear available to twinks than to instate a template for 12classesx3specsx12brackets=432 templates. Its not going to happen.

They might allow us to easily do battlegrounds, but its not easily done by Blizzard.

Were you not here for the piles of complains from players this whole expansion? Players are changing as the years go on, and this is the group of people that get Blizzards attention nowadays. People don’t play competitively until Max level for whatever reason, and even then quite a few people just enter BGs and expect a carry so they can cap their conquest points. I’m not surprised at all. People are expected to pay Blizzard 60 dollars to play the game (boosts). Only new players are leveling normally, or freaks like me who actually enjoy low level content. This is the state of the game we play.

Why wouldnt adding stat templates back be easy? I mean, i dont think it would be easy, but all they would have to do is look back to the last date we had stat templates. The idea is there, it just needs to be reworked for an exp off only feature option, only to be used as balancing option. I mean, stat templates were added in legion, how come 12classesx3specsx12brackets=432 templates wouldnt happen now? Blizzard is trying to attract as many players as possible. Those numbers would only apply to exp off players who decided to add a stat template to themselves, to prevent them from severely outgear and enchant a non twink.

I mean fixing gear available to twinks. Isn’t that what a stat template would do? just normalize stats for a player that enters a bg with his stat template on? All blizz would have to do is rework the math again, making some adjustments here and there, which they could look at the math from the last major patch in legion, and adjust for the stat squish added in bfa. Whatever the case, or how difficult it is to implement a fix, i feel like a fix needs to be added. Its like, as soon as you turn off your exp, whatever the reason, knocking out some quests before outlvlng the content, anything really, it shouldnt automatically flag you as a twink, or an op toon. You should still be able to pvp with levelers with your exp turned off as well. Idk, it doesn’t really matter what happens, i just hope we see some fix added, because you cant que realistically in exp off as a casual player currently.

I assume you’re having difficulty recalling Hatchet Toss survival hunters in legion. You could 1 shot basically anyone from 19-60 with that one move alone. Legion templates were abysmal in regard to lower level PVP.

Yes, it would, but it would be more difficult is what I’m saying. Want to fix twinks?

1. Fix gem gear. I have 23 gems in my 69 twink. Thats 115 bonus agility and crit. https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/us/stormreaver/sockshock
  2. Fix Azerite gear 110-119. The ilvl bonus of Azerite gear compared to heirloom gear is insanity. I’m at 275 ilvl at 110, when most 110s I face in BGs are at approximately 185 ilvl. That is such a gross oversight that it’s absurd.
  3. Scale down procs from BoE epics and dungeon epics from 1-60. Destiny and Sulthraze (prenerf) come to mind.

Im not really agreeing with you or disagreeing with you. The game is never going to be perfectly balanced, not matter what they do. If you remember vanilla, then you probably remember rogues being highly annoying. For all intensive purposes, if blizz provides a fix and there are some overpowered things and balance issues, oh well. Blizz can tackle those later. Im just saying that we need some fix. Low lvl pvp is really never going to be fully balanced, and neither is high lvl pvp. Hopefully blizzard will implement something both partys can agree on soon though. I just cant focus on perfectly balancing the game, and no one should feel that it should be perfectly balanced. Im just hoping a fix comes sometime in the future. If it doesn’t, oh well. Im just thinking of ideas, as yah, even with a change or fix, we might have some rogues running around gearless, with a lvl 1 dagger killing people. Something blizz would need to balance, and there always will be. I just want to be able to pvp on my low lvl toons, without lvling them. I don’t think thats a bad thing. I mean, as long as its somewhat balanced so its not the old days of low lvl pvp, i dont see any reason as to why exp off needs to be separated from xp on. if your op and you turn your exp off, have something that keeps things from getting crazy while still keeping the ques merged.