Wyrmrest Confessions

Despite being totally uninterested in RPing a Vulpera myself, the vast majority of Vulpera RPers I’ve encountered seem like good, serious RPers.

2 Likes

This stems from the stigma of ‘ew, furries’ which does tend to lead to them presenting well crafted charaters to show before the class to demonstrate that the stigma doesn’t need to exist.

Unfortunately, when that -one- individual comes along, they tend to raise enough ire it sets them back a few spaces.

1 Like

I once met a male human paladin that tipped his helmet at me and now I am a raging misandrist.

2 Likes

I could have made a human or belf paladin.

sips tea in troll Seems like a lame idea.

My confession is that no matter how many times I come back to WoW nothing will match my time between the start of BC to the end of Cata.

Thats when I met so many people, introduced a former lover to the game. Had oodles of RP on my home server of Shadow Council and on Moonguard and Wyrmrest.

Nothing brings me more joy (when it comes to WoW) then remembering that time.

It’s me, I can’t get over the nostalgia to dive back into WoW RP. I make characters, I might RP once and a while, but each time I think about it I find something else I could do. Finally, I leave because I haven’t formed attachments.

2 Likes

I absolutely feel you on that regard.

I realized one of the biggest issues is that I would beat around the bush and only ever really RP with friends and random strangers once a blood moon and that really only cemented at how lonely I would get in game. Eventually I’d burn myself out on PvE/PvP and then I’d just feel like quitting/not playing despite being subbed for months at a time.

The longest time I’ve not played the game was the entirety of WoD because I just thought it was at that level of stupid that it wasn’t worth playing.

My advice? If you can do it, apply for an RP guild that you think might work with your character. Forcing myself to go and find a guild and joining it has made me suddenly far more attached to this vulpera here than I have been in a long time with my old main, Wolf. I suddenly had a guild that did a lot of RP events, and while it isn’t required to go to every single one, I try to attend (though some of the events are a bit too big for my anxiety and headaches to handle) and I end up enjoying myself.

Slowly, but surely, I have been making friends in WoW again. I was playing solo when I came back a few months ago, but now I have a few new folks who wave at me while the very few “old guard” friends occasionally complain about WoW to me in bnet and both sides give me a feeling that maybe I can keep playing for a little while longer.

So yea, my advice is to just find an RP guild you think might be fun and take a leap. Who knows, worse case scenario is that it doesn’t work and you quit anyways. But it might be just the thing you need.

(Also, I recommend Firebrand Enterprise they’re genuinely very active if you’re into Horde RP and have been swell to me.)

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/h-rp-firebrand-enterprises-still-hiring/552079

2 Likes

Sure, I understand and respect that this is your experience with them, and I’m glad to hear it’s better than I saw it was. It’s still not the same experience I have had.

I will clarify that I can admit to harboring an anti-furry bias. It must be frustrating to deal with that when someone is doing nothing wrong. It is still rooted in profoundly negative and predatory experiences with furries when I was just a kid, and not having personally witnessed furry culture getting any better, it’s a bias I continue to hold. The example of “human males” and “misandry” provided as a joke actually works pretty well here. I’m the last person to enjoy when a woman presumes I’ve got predatory intentions towards her because I’m a guy, but it’s also a fact that encountering men with predatory intentions is a thing women have to deal with, so it understandably leads to defensiveness. I could have been less vitriolic in how I expressed my irritation with vulpera players, but it doesn’t mean my discomfort with sharing a space with furries is baseless, either.

i have an anti furry bias. all organics must be eradicated, however. the bias is shared, m’yes.

but i feel this.

i have made a lot of friends through wra! none of them are rp friends. or guild friends. its. a living.

I planned to write a bunch of spooky themed stuff this month but barely got around to even scratching the surface of what I wanted to do. Now with only a few days before Halloween I’m slightly disappointed in myself.

1 Like

Genuinely I do not like Hassle Hoof. Always talking in the third person in trade chat, feels like he’s just trying to gain attention for himself and it comes off in my opinion cringey; not even in a funny meme-kind-of-way.

I’m sure though he means well, just ain’t liking his approach yo.

I’m sorry, but I find it hilarious that it’s a Blood Elf saying this considering all the garbage people put them through for not being “true Horde” or “a mistake”.

No hard feelings man, this is just funny to me and I had to point it out.

I’ve played since WC:1 and I don’t think the story was ever very good, but fun in a silly way. I’d love more races. I wish we got Hozen in BfA. Badly.

I’m not hyped about Metzen and others starting their own studios, I don’t expect great things from them or most games in general.

2 Likes

meanwhile me simping and maybe a cool Metzen-headed tabletop will make me finally paint one whole mini

3 Likes

Every expansion we should just recruit more and more races to both factions because that’s just fun and stupid and that’s what WoW should be like.

I feel like I am in a minority, but I always felt like WoW did its best when it didn’t take itself seriously but still stuck to lore. Comedic and tongue-in-cheek story beats were fun, but anytime they got too campy/pop-culture reference heavy or tried to be “serious” the story always suddenly took a nose dive. Obviously a personal opinion.

Mind you, there are exceptions. This being the ending of Wrath/Lich King being one of the more prominent “serious and cool” moments that were handled well. A rarity in my view.

3 Likes

mood :pensive:

My confession would be the opposite. I like the really cool serious moments in WoW, the big legitimate threats that make Azeroth such a hell hole to live in. Then you get quests like the one in Zuldazar where you’re trying to encourage dinosaur babies and it’s just like :confused: for me

1 Like

Yeah. I think Warcraft is best played serious (not grimdark or edgy or Walking Dead ‘we just killed off developing/cool character to shock and subvert the audience wowie zowie’) with moments of levity.

3 Likes

I don’t think they’ve managed the serious story telling done well in several expansions but that’s just me being a butt about any expansion from Cata and afterwords.

Hard to take story beats seriously when one minute I’m saving the world tree from burning down to attending an orc’s wedding.

1 Like

I think wow works best when they lean heavily into like… comic book style writing. Not always super deep, not always super serious, (though obviously both comic books and wow’s writing can do both) but more focused on cool moments and characters. Things like Garrosh screaming “GET OFF MY SHIP” as he swings an axe at a twilight dragon, or Frostmourne breaking in the Lich King fight. For me the story is mostly successful when they go for spectacle and the spectacle is cool and grounded enough that it keeps me from seeing underlying flaws, or in some cases caring about them.

Like, to use an expansion as an example, Legion’s story was definitely not flawless. But it was overall enjoyable and a solid experience because it was highlighted by exciting story beats and character moments, like Illidan just opening the portal to Argus anyway or the resolution between Velen and Kil’jaeden. Even as much as I could criticize Stormheim’s story, the ending cinematic where Genn finally gets a win over Sylvanas is also a very good example.

9 Likes

You worded that much better than I ever could.

The Marvel system.

Tongue and Cheek with a good deal of warmth so it feels like a world you want to live in.

Serious cereal when the drama is needed.

3 Likes