WoW won't update

Followed those instructions but I still stayed on Update with agent asking for password and the usual needing to be admin. Yes I’m on Admin and still doesnt work.

macOS Monterey Version 12.0.1
Mac mini (M1, 2020)
WoW TBC Classic

Can you repost?

Big Sur 11.6. intel imac.

Updating asked for admin password, stuck at initializing.

While it was “Updating” I tried to launch WoW directly, and got this:

1 Like

I will try to rewrite it, give me a few mins

1 Like

copy paste it so you dont lose it

I just finished re-installing games, so next step is to drag or copy interface and wtf from old files to new installs?

Why would you have to do that?

I don’t know; just following instructions from Nelaro

Correct, move old WTF and Interface folders, as well as perhaps your screenshots into the new install folders. This will restore your addons and settings.

sure blizzard, I’ll redownload the ENTIRE game to fix your problem and let me play again - no problem at all…

And after wasting too much time last night trying to get past the broken permissions thing (I knew I was in trouble the moment it asked for admin password), i checked to see that yes, the problem was still there this morning. So I moved my WoW folder out of applications and re-downloaded the whole thing all over again.

It worked but you know what - no game is really worth that kind of trouble. If I’d screwed it up, sure ok, burden’s on me to fix it. But that kind of sloppiness is really telling Blizzard. Sorry for the employees who are suffering from work place stress and problems - I get it. Sorry for myself who thought it would be fun starting again in a fresh version. Not holding my breath for Nov. 16. I’m willing to be surprised but I’ll have alternate plans ready.

EDIT: Yes the game works but there are no add-ons and not even a hint of an add-on management button. Tried removing the folder, emptying the folder, putting fresh add-on in… nothing.

6 Likes

They’re assuming everyone has the time, patience and the amount of bandwidth quota anytime anywhere to redo it sadly.

1 Like

This was my fix, as others have mentioned:

1. Close Battle.net application.

2. Go into your applications to find your main WoW folder called World of Warcraft, which has all versions inside of it (ie retail or classic).

3. Move that main folder to some other location to break the file path for the Battle.net app to find your games. This will allow you to re-install them without deleting or damaging your old files.

4. Open battle.net and it will tell you it cant find your games. You should now have the option to install them.

5. Begin re-installing each WoW version you play. The first time you click install, the app will try to choose a file path for your new WoW main folder, you may wish to override that path to put it back in the original location. The app will then use that path for all other installs.

6. After all versions have been installed DO NOT launch them yet. Go back to your old WoW folder (where ever you put it) and copy over the WTF and Interface folders for each game version into the new install folders. This will restore your addons and settings. You may want to also copy over your Screenshots.

7. Go back to Battle.net app and fire up each game. This will create the remaining folders like Cache and Logs into the new installs.

8. Lastly, copy over the old Battle.net app to the new WoW main folder as well, that’s where mine was stored, or download a fresh copy. If you elect to download a new copy you will have to tell it where to find your games by starting the app and going to the apple menu preferences > downloads > scan for games > locate > pick the new main folder.

9. DONE !!! The battle.net app may try to do the updates thing again, but for me it was successful this time. If/when everything looks good, you can delete your old wow folder.

Im sure we will eventually find that we only had to delete or reinstall one simple thing, but until we know what that is, this larger re-install solution worked for me.

Good Luck !

8 Likes

I found that in my case the folder “HD/Users/Shared/Battle.net/Agent” contained two “Agent.75**” folders, both containing an Agent app and a Logs folder. I double-clicked the older Agent app, then started the battle.net app. Suddenly it works.

4 Likes

It’s not just an OSX problem, happening to Windows users as well. Here’s the main thread, where blue posts about the overall situation are gonna be:

Mac OS 10.15.7 (19H1519)
Trying to run update for BC Classic and keep being told something went wrong on the download. Then it refers to me https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/2667

of course this is of no use! What’s going on??

Refreshing the thread with how to play now while Blizzard fixxes the issue. Go into your Finder window:
Applications>World of Warcraft>Retail
Click on World of Warcraft Launcher.
This is a Battlenet issue. You can get into the game bypassing the Battlenet launcher.
Works for Classic too.

1 Like

That just opens bnet again for me.

3 Likes

yeah, it’s only the launcher for bnet , let’s hope he made an innocent mistake or worse case trolling us Mac users since its known the wow app won’t launch anymore since 9.1.5 you will get a connection error

So I was half heartedly looking for the chmod file to change and decided to try just moving a few files to trash (Did NOT empty trash). I moved folders - cashe, WTF, and specific files -componentrequest.log, Connection.log, Hotfix.log, WoWconnection.log Just moving to the trash folder. Tried opening WoW it still didn’t work, so put back folders from trash. Replaced files and used the new versions of the folders. Then suddenly a Wow box came up on screen updating something and now I can log in through the WoW app itself not the Bnet launcher. Going to try it on my sons Mac now. Hope its helpful.

I’m seeing the same thing as Kya. In my Users/Shared/Battle.net/Agent folder there are two versions of the Agent.app.