WoW won't update

This is the Mac Technical support forum … I think there’s a thread in the broader support forum that might have windows information on this problem.

After the recent OS update I can’t update/play wow at all. I did all troubleshooting the technical support suggested, uninstalled and reinstalled both the client and the game itself. Tech support claims they are trying to fix it…how can something like this go so badly without any former insight so the devs could throw out a patch that allows the new OS update play nice with WoW?

My other blizzard titles work, and my MacBook Pro which I chose to not update the OS works fine. Clearly, there’s a problem with the Mac’s latest OS and WoW (classic as well).

I’m generally gracious with Blizzard and technical issues, but they couldn’t have proactively fixed this?

With all the negativity around the company and the game, I’ve always been positive, but now you can’t even talk to customer support on the phone? World of Warcraft’s customer support availability was the epitome of accessible, but now with text tickets as the only available means of support, my satisfaction with the game is slipping away. If I didn’t have a second device like my MacBook, I’d still be unable to play. Why sub you a game you can’t play?

1 Like

That actually got the patch to work for the first time, and I’m in for the first time in a week. Time will tell if I have to repeat that. Thanks.

1 Like

THIS WORKS. OMG. For ease of reference, here is this total guru’s solution. Thank you, thank you.

For Mac:
Go into apps and just right click on your main World of Warcraft folder. Click ‘Get Info’. Go down to the bottom and unlock your folder. Then go to ‘sharing and permissions’, give read and write permissions to all entries, if it doesn’t already say it, then go below to where there is a + - and circle. Click the drop down next to the circle and click ‘apply to enclosed items’. After it applies, go run the update for your game and tada… playable!

3 Likes

Gonna try this after work. Fingers crossed!

It’s been over a week since my girlfriend had access now. Are you gonna make up for the lost game time, Blizzard??

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, but still no dice here.

looks like Bliz rolled out a new agent. It seems to work.

Hey there folks,

We did release another patch which seems to have fixed some more of these, so if you were having problems previously please give it another try after letting battle.net update itself. If it doesn’t work, please let us know what error message you’re getting, if any.

I rebooted my mac ( MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7). Launched Battle.net.
Hit the Update button, Error: BLZBNTAGT00000BB8. Whoops! Looks like something broke. Give it another shot.

Can someone tell me how to find the version # on Battle.net so that I can determine if it has updated to the latest version mentioned by support?

Thanks.

4 Likes

Just a shame they didn’t actually fix anything, they effectively did what they did a week ago, just rolled back to way things were before. Agent just being dumb and “repairing” permissions pointlessly on a bunch of files who’s permissions don’t matter (like addons) and triggering constant fake updates.

It’s just no longer failing erroring out on this… either way though I suppose THIS issue is probably closed and we can go back to complaining about Battlenet constantly updating - #132 by Deathcoin-westfall

1 Like

Still no changes for me. Running the 7600 version of agent on Battle.net, can’t launch WoW directly get error 154 and forces open Bnet. Continuously requests admin permission to make changes still. When I try to update via Battle.net I get error BLZBNTAGT00000BB8. Effectively no changes still and I cannot play the game. It has been over a week. Come on.

3 Likes

I try to get updates and it keeps saying something is broke. What do i do here? I have followed all their steps and still nothing. Can’t scan and repair either.

1 Like

You’re still gonna have to delete broken files that exist for controller support and cvars, if they exist. It seems they didn’t fix that issue I would guess, that has to be fixed by a wow update that’s not yet out (that’ll correct them being created in first place).

Like users have posted a few times already, just check agent logs to see what files it’s getting stuck on, and correct/remove those files.

OMG! This worked for me too…Logged right into BNET and it updated Hearthstone and WoW Retail

1 Like

I’m really glad this is working for people! And I’ve had no issues since I figured it out and fixed mine yesterday. I can log in and log out without any problems too. So to all who have a Mac… this does work!

After the method I did try in my last post , today I can log in with an issue. I don’t know if my Bnet updated alone while watching YouTube but indeed at least not issues today.

I’m running Mac OS 12.0.1 Monterey.
Battle.net Version: 9.1.5.41079

I finally got this working on Windows.

I pulled down Battle.Net and forced the upgrade (just run it in place to update). Running the updater still failed, so I started hunting down log files. Check out the folder %PROGRAMDATA%\Battle.net\Agent\Agent.7600\Logs. In one of the error logs it identified one of my Add On folders had bad permissions.

PS C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent\Agent.7600\Logs> type AgentErrors-20211119T234741.log
[E 2021-11-19 23:50:03.0464] Win32Permissions: Win32 SetNamedSecurityInfo(5) - 'D:/World of Warcraft/_retail_/Interface/AddOns/MovableBags/Changelog-MovableBags-7.0.3.txt'
[E 2021-11-19 23:50:03.0465] Win32Permissions: Win32 SetNamedSecurityInfo(5) - 'D:/World of Warcraft/_retail_/Interface/AddOns/MovableBags/Changelog-MovableBags-7.0.3.txt'
[E 2021-11-19 23:50:03.0466] AgentAsAdmin failed to fix the file permissions of 'D:/World of Warcraft/_retail_/Interface/AddOns/MovableBags/Changelog-MovableBags-7.0.3.txt'
[E 2021-11-19 23:50:03.0466] Win32Permissions: Win32 SetNamedSecurityInfo(5) - 'D:/World of Warcraft/_retail_/Interface/AddOns/MovableBags/MovableBags.lua'
[E 2021-11-19 23:50:03.0469] Win32Permissions: Win32 SetNamedSecurityInfo(5) - 'D:/World of Warcraft/_retail_/Interface/AddOns/MovableBags/MovableBags.lua'
[E 2021-11-19 23:50:03.0469] AgentAsAdmin failed to fix the file permissions of 'D:/World of Warcraft/_retail_/Interface/AddOns/MovableBags/MovableBags.lua'
[E 2021-11-19 23:50:03.0470] Win32Permissions: Win32 SetNamedSecurityInfo(5) - 'D:/World of Warcraft/_retail_/Interface/AddOns/MovableBags/MovableBags.lua~'
[E 2021-11-19 23:50:03.0470] Win32Permissions: Win32 SetNamedSecurityInfo(5) - 'D:/World of Warcraft/_retail_/Interface/AddOns/MovableBags/MovableBags.lua~'
[E 2021-11-19 23:50:03.0471] AgentAsAdmin failed to fix the file permissions of 'D:/World of Warcraft/_retail_/Interface/AddOns/MovableBags/MovableBags.lua~'
[E 2021-11-19 23:50:03.0471] Win32Permissions: Win32 SetNamedSecurityInfo(5) - 'D:/World of Warcraft/_retail_/Interface/AddOns/MovableBags/MovableBags.toc'
[E 2021-11-19 23:50:03.0472] Win32Permissions: Win32 SetNamedSecurityInfo(5) - 'D:/World of Warcraft/_retail_/Interface/AddOns/MovableBags/MovableBags.toc'
[E 2021-11-19 23:50:03.0472] AgentAsAdmin failed to fix the file permissions of 'D:/World of Warcraft/_retail_/Interface/AddOns/MovableBags/MovableBags.toc'
[E 2021-11-19 23:50:03.0473] Win32Permissions: Win32 SetNamedSecurityInfo(5) - 'D:/World of Warcraft/_retail_/Interface/AddOns/MovableBags/MovableBags.xml'
[E 2021-11-19 23:50:03.0474] Win32Permissions: Win32 SetNamedSecurityInfo(5) - 'D:/World of Warcraft/_retail_/Interface/AddOns/MovableBags/MovableBags.xml'
[E 2021-11-19 23:50:03.0474] AgentAsAdmin failed to fix the file permissions of 'D:/World of Warcraft/_retail_/Interface/AddOns/MovableBags/MovableBags.xml'

It is a now semi-unsupported add-on that I copied from my previous install on my PC. The updater didn’t like the permissions on it. Perhaps a Windows update made the permissions more peculiar than normal?

Once I fixed them, I was able to perform the update.

The easiest way I found to fix them was to move the folder into a Zip file, then extract from the Zip. That let me alter the permissions. Once fixed, I moved the folder back into the Interface directory.

This worked for me as well. Give it a go folks!

<>
istera

60 Draenei Mage
I think I found a fix for this problem and it’s basically using what is done in ‘Terminal’ permissions post, but no need to go into the terminal.

For Mac:
Go into apps and just right click on your main World of Warcraft folder. Click ‘Get Info’. Go down to the bottom and unlock your folder. Then go to ‘sharing and permissions’, give read and write permissions to all entries, if it doesn’t already say it, then go below to where there is a + - and circle. Click the drop down next to the circle and click ‘apply to enclosed items’. After it applies, go run the update for your game and tada… playable!

At least this worked for me. Good luck all!

1 Like

This worked. Thank you so much! :heart:

1 Like

How are Blizzard going to fix this? Seems to be affecting a number of users. I hadn’t tried playing for about a week and it was working fine then. Maybe an update at that time ‘broke’ the folder permissions?