WoW won't update

I am not going to play around with finding a fix on my own. If Blizzard can’t fix battle.net through the usual update process, then they need to email an executable that I will run or install using an admin login. Astounding that they aren’t keeping us informed as to progress.

5 Likes

Still having this issue here.

macOS Mojave 10.14.6
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
3.4 Ghz Intel Core i5
32GB memory
Radeon Pro 570 4 GB

1 Like

Just following up on this, it does work, but only initially for a single launch of the Bnet app. If you leave Bnet open instead of quitting it’ll still work for a while. But if you quit the launcher you’ll have to go through this again, and even if you leave it open it eventually tries to do an update and you have to do it again. It does work to use this technique repeatedly. But still not a real or permanent fix.

Anyone have the battle.net agent ask them for their Mac password about once an hour while the agent is open?

1 Like

yes its a known bug Blizzard is currently trying to fix…i was hoping it would have been addressed in the maintenance today, but apparently not…

Made one update to this workaround… Be prepared to battle this thing for a few minutes; Battle.net will try to keep launching the defective agent so you have to force quit (using Activity Monitor), check Agent version that is running, and if it’s not the right one, repeat the process until the working Agent is running…

Okay. This is how I’ve been getting in on my Mac:

• Find your agent apps. Users/Shared/Battle.net/Agent. There will probably be a few folders named something like Agent7531 and Agent7581
  • Open the 7531folder and locate the Agent app in that folder. You’ll need to double click (start) this app after a couple more steps.
  • Start Activity Monitor
  • Start Battle.net
  • After Battle.net starts, you’ll get the error, close the error message
  • In Activity Monitor, find the Agent process and force quit it
  • IMMEDIATELY start the Agent app in the 7531 folder
  • EDIT: Check to make sure the right Agent is running (Select process, Inspect, Open Files and Ports): You should see the 7531 app in there (if not, force quit 7581 and try again)
  • In Battle.net, start an update or hit Play

Hoping this gets fixed soon. I think users running around and renaming/deleting, messing with permissions/accounts, and using terminal could lead to other issues.

This worked for me ask well. It still asks for permission but at least it updates and lets me launch the game.

They pushed a new update, Agent.7589 but it doesn’t actually fix bug.

But I did reach out to someone on dev team to figure out why the controller and cvar files are getting messed up in filesystem and they isolated bug on that end and those files should be created correctly in future build. that way at least the offending files stop getting created that confuse agent/launcher in first place.

that said, it’s not a cop out for agent either because it should not get hung up on files it doesn’t understand, especially since i’ve seen cases where it’s addons and other stuff it has literally no reason to care about permissions on.

hey, this didnt work for me :frowning: now im scared that i deleted a folder ill need somehow…

1 Like

Well now agent 7531 is missing, so that temporary fix doesn’t work anymore.

I didn’t cancel my sub yesterday because I could still play with this work around, now it renewed today and I can’t play at all.

1 Like

Goodbye Agent 7531, so I guess I’m not playing any longer. Good job Blizz, you’re really knocking this one out of the park.

EDIT: Found a 7531 folder I had copied to my desktop, and it still works! What’s the AH price on a working 7531 folder?

The only reason why it was deleted is because 7531 allowed broken 7589 to get added and delete 7531. It’s like they are trying to get rid of us, lol.

Any update on this yet? Tried doing a full re-install. Now the game won’t even launch and keep having to force close it. Sure would love to hop on the SoM train.

1 Like

@Iceblinkluck
Interesting when you said it deleted Agent.7531 I got nervous and looked at mine. I now have 3 Agent folders - Agent.7531, Agent.7581, and Agent.7589

I used Time Machine to restore Agent .7531. Made sure there wasn’t a running agent process, launched the “Agent.app” inside of Agent.7531 folder, and then launched the Battle.net.app.

That got me logged in and playing. Hopefully I won’t have to do this, again, when I go to log in for tonight’s raid.

1 Like

And now the technique to force quit the agent process and start it manually stopped working because a new agent was pushed out. Doesn’t work anymore.

WAs bad enough when agent.exe would open 45 times on my PC now this BS for whos how long

This is becoming ridiculous. It started 11/11 roughly mid-day and now we are on 11/16 and nearing the end of the work day. No update as to if they’ve found the issue from Blizzard’s end yet it seems some adept computer people found them here. I’ve tried a few troubleshooting options above but again the issue comes up when I launch WoW I get error #154. Why hasn’t Blizzard been updating here daily with status changes because this is quickly becoming one of the most viewed threads in this forum bracket meaning it’s affecting a fair amount of players. As a long time player, this is disappointing and I expect to get some form of reimbursement since this bug is still eating away at my game time.

2 Likes

So, it is yet not fixed after Tuesday maintenance?

5 Likes

Nope. File doesn’t exist on my system so therefore, I can’t move it to the trash. Still having the same issue (need to enter admin password at the “agent needs your pwd” window and the initializer never progresses past 0%.

As of 7:36pm EST on Tuesday 11/16 my battle.net client was able to update itself and the issue has resolved! (after the launcher being down for the last few days). Looks like Blizzard fixed it. I’m running WoW on a 2019 MacBook Pro 16", Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur.