WoW won't update

Not working for me. 6:43 PM CST

1 Like

Big Sur 11.6.1

Please fix soon. I cant run classic.

1 Like

Still no updates. Still requests agent, admin login. Updating not happening.

Workaround:
Select ‘scan and repair’ until it allows it ‘seems’ to happen.
Go to Classic application, launch application. Will get an error message and application will not launch. Select ‘ok’ to get error dialog to leave.
However, in the background, the launcher ‘updating’ becomes ‘play’ instead.
Select play.

Launcher version 9.1.3.41031
OSX Big Sur 11.5.2 MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

EDIT: As of Tuesday (11/16) this is no longer working for me and cannot get onto WoW at all.

This didn’t work for me because it was followed by
Password:

I assume it means my WOW account is PW protected - which it is . It also has a dongle keycode protection. But the terminal wouldn’t let me type in any of those. Not being a techie, I’m stumped again.

Running an iMac (late 2015) with macOS Monterey Version 12.0.1

Still broke for me as of Nov 16 10:30 PM eastern time

1 Like

This appears to be working for me now. I messed with files trying to fix things and wound up breaking things further. When others mentioned that there was a new agent, I checked and sure enough there was a new agent. Launching the battle.net app stopped asking for permission. Because I messed with files though, the game kept hitting an error and would fail to update. I reinstalled WoW, was able to update, log in, log out, close and reopen WoW successfully. I’d also suggest, if it’s still not working and if you haven’t already, restart your battle.net app to see if that helps with the permissions issue.

Tried restarting battle.net. No go, same problem.

1 Like

You’re not presently using World of Warcraft; you’re using the terminal to modify files on your system. It’s asking for your system password, the one you use to log in to your computer. That’s assuming you have an administrator account.

I’ve managed to actually fix this for myself, by using the Terminal to set broadest possible permissions for all possibly related files:

sudo chmod -R 777 /Applications/World\ of\ Warcraft/
sudo chmod -R 777 /Applications/Battle.net.app
sudo chmod -R 777 /Users/Shared/Battle.net

Then I quit Battle.net, forced-quit Agent using Activity Monitor, and relaunched Battle.net. And now it’s all working fine, able to run through the update and launch WoW without issue.

I did this because, looking at log files, it seemed like the installer was trying and failing to change permissions of some files in the Battle.net app and Shared/Battle.net directories, not just the WoW directory itself.

Edit: or maybe it’s just been fixed on its own, and I happened to restart anything at just the right time? In any case it’s working.

4 Likes

well PTR updated but the main game still wont update (which is the important one lol, more important than the PTR) of retail that is, again, this is on a windows PC

Yesterday’s patch does seem to fix this issue for me.

Battle.net still as broken as ever (how can it update to fix if it prevents itself from updating?)

Able to enter game by opening wow classic directly but not able to install required updates when they happen

Still broken for me as well. 8:15 am on 11/17/21 EST. Are they aware this is still an issue?

1 Like

Still broken. They are aware of the issue. I tried everything they suggested including some of the most feasible recommendations from these threads, with no results. They added a new agent .7589, still not working.

1 Like

So is Blizz going to fix this or are they just hoping the issue magically disappears? The work around of directly launching the game and not using the client is now broken too

1 Like

Can’t believe they’d leave people hanging like this unable to play with no info, ETA , or updates. But then I remember it’s Blizzard.

2 Likes

still not working?

anyone else hearing crickets?

3 Likes

I’ve been resisting the urge to tinker, accepting some downtime to catch up on old TV shows and such. But with over 30 characters, I’m probably already starting to lose unsold auction house items in the mail.

Same issue, the game asks for pending update - when I click to update it says its missing admin permission, only one user on this Mac - and it is Admin - all permissions granted to Blizz.
Running MacOS 12.0.1 on MacPro 13 2019.
The game have been down for days now - no solution in sight, terrible experience.

1 Like

I’ve continued to have success logging in by launching the game directly (I can’t log on here, it won’t accept my login) and THEN launching it from the launcher. Having an instance of the game open seems to block the Update cycle, allowing me access to the Play button. (Then just close the first not-logged-in instance of the game.)