WoW won't update

I am also experiencing this bug. Posted for tracking
macOS Monterey 12.0.1
MacBook Pro

Yes I still get asked to give permission for the software install. That I can live with

Still not able to play or anything - even with permission. It just gives me the error.

Grayen’smethod from aboput 10 posts above this worked for me – i just copied the text of gfx_cvars.csv and put it into spotlight and put it in the trash

THIS WORKED for THE MOMENT at least, we shall see if it does after the game /finally/ installs (since I deleted it thinking maybe it was the file as i hadn’t used it in a while), but let us see!

this worked for me also!

I had the same issue (not being able to use Battle.net to log in), but when I looked at the agent files, over and over again the add on, “Torghast teams” was creating an error message.

I deleted the addon and for the first time since Nov 11, I was able to use Battle.net to log in.

I have no idea what happened but there ya go. if that helps anyone, yay.

After 4ish days of trouble shooting trying to uninstall and reinstall, and all other things everyone else has said, I finally was able to uninstall, reinstall the game and at the moment I can currently log in

This worked for me on macOS Monteray 12.0

so far this has worked for me. wow has updated and i am able to log in.
14" mbp 12.0

After 3 days of re-install the gam (once because I’ve so slow internet on home, 10Mb) I finally could install 100% and update it worked, well I’m still using Mac OS Monterey 12.0. what I did before was delete battle.net all the archives/files that are installed even the ones that you normally don’t see and remove World Of Warcraft from my Main Apps folder to an eSSD then re-install Battle.net and World Of Warcraft. You could know if you deleted 100% Battle.net if it pop the Language selection list. if it only start to install then remains files on your Mac. I Logged and Logged out and Login again and its okay also my Addons work because I only move them temporary form my original one and put it back.

Hope this Information works for anyone else, and always keep a backup for World Of Warcraft in a eSSD so you could re use it.

[EDIT] well after just put on AH my 3 days mail, I logged out and instantly it ask for admin password, wrote it and fail again to login. I Just vote that instead of a Patch just make it Native as World Of Warcraft. Maybe that cause less issues in the future or easier to find them …maybe?

Omegal, even worse, the file created by the malformed string seems to be due to a Windows-only path convention. The file on my system has it as WTF\gamecontrollerdb.txt and that backslash is a Windows path separator. On a Mac/unix it’s a / instead of \. So on Windows, it properly parses the path to place the file in the WTF folder, but on the Mac it creates the bogus filename outside the WTF folder.

I too, deleted the file, and the launcher processed the “fake update” and let me launch the game, but after I was done playing, the launcher is hung up again and the WTF\gamecontrollerdb.txt file is not there this time. sigh

Thanks for the posts, it helps!

*edit: ah, It did in fact re-create the file, I was just looking in the wrong place… grrrr

**edit 2: added sentence at end of first paragraph.

1 Like

What Grayen said works…

Easy way, if you’re a dummy like me, go into finder and search this mac for “gfx_cvars.csv” Scroll down to the bottom where you see the _work/gfx_cvars.csv, move it to the trash bin, empty it, and you’ll work properly again.

Thanks Grayen!

4 Likes

Don’t know if this will help anyone else but after days of this issue, I went into Macintosh HD/Users/Shared/Battlenet/Agent/Agent7581/Logs then opened the error log from my most recent attempt to log in and saw this error repeating over and over. I haven’t played retail for ages, this was a renamed interface folder (to interface 3) from when I had an interface issue years ago thats never caused a problem. I deleted the folder and could instantly update battlenet and log in. Hopefully this helps someone else. Error below from the logs, damn fishing buddy

with error 2115
[E 2021-11-16 09:07:59.0523] AgentAsAdmin failed to fix the file permissions of ‘/Applications/World of Warcraft/retail/Interface3/AddOns1/FishingBuddy-1.7.1/FishingBuddy/FishingGearManager.lua’
[E 2021-11-16 09:07:59.0729] Failed to execute remote task: POST /admin

Hello Grayen, Can you please list step by step on how to get to “D:/_work/gfx_cvars.csv”? I don’t want to mess up WoW or my Mac. Thanks in advance.

Seems there’s also two Battle.net folders
Battle.net.13147
Battle.net.13177 Created 11/11

Edit: I deleted the 13147 folder and it hasn’t tried to update any of the games for the first time in 5 days.

nvm there it goes

Yup this works.
Blizzard for dummies option it is …
Now all we need is a REALY dumbed down version of Blizzard for dummies for Blizzard so they can actually push a proper fix !!

1 Like

So no blue post - is this fixed yet??
I’m on iMac 12.0.1
I’ve done a work around to launch the game manually and play but when is Bliz going to fix the Battle.net so this game can update???

1 Like

The advice to “force quit” whatever Agent Battle.net tries to run (using Activity Monitor), then immediately double-click the app in the Agent7531 folder worked for me (so far). We’ll see if it continues to work after today’s system maintenance.

This corrected the issue for me as well.