WoW won't update

Cannot log in at all. Battle.net launcher hangs on “initializing” beach ball, and direct launch from apps folder results in long error having to do with failure to create storage component. Have checked permissions, all seem to be ok.

iMac Pro 2017 running Monterey 12.0.1
Intel Xeon 10-core processor 128GB memory
Radeon Pro Vega 64 with 16GB

here is part of the direct-launch error I am receiving:

The CAS system was unable to initialize: ClientHandler: initialization error: failed to create storage component

ClientHandler: initialization error: failed to create storage component

ClientHandler: initialization error: failed to create storage component

tact::ClientHandler::Create failed: E_STORAGE_INIT
[20211114T13:23:58] {546745} ERR: failed to bind shared memory file ‘/Applications/World of Warcraft/Data/data//shmem’:

Getting very sick of Blizz not really caring about Mac users.

That did it for me as well! Thanks and you should send them your bill for fixing something a conglomerate couldn’t so quickly!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

I posted this in the general Tech Support thread yesterday but I wanted to make sure it was here as well.

I am experiencing the same issue. I’m on a 2019 iMac running OS X 10.15.7 (Catalina).

Every time I open BattleNet I get the “Agent wants to make changes” message, put in my password and it does nothing. WoW and Classic BC won’t update or repair. WarCraft 3 does its own update check and has no issues. None of my other Blizzard games seem to have updates to be affected by this.

On another note:
I opened my newer macBook Pro running the same operating system and I was able to update and play WoW but not BCClassic before I installed the BattleNet Update. That computer had not been updated since last Sunday morning. Agent still requested my Admin password to start the updates though.

I can’t help feeling that Blizzard hates Macs and their users.

4 Likes

There were additional directories under /Data which didn’t have execute perms, so I used a shotgun. For those with a bit of unix + sudo:

cd ‘/Applications/World of Warcraft/Data’; sudo find . -type d -exec chmod {} \;

1 Like

clarification question… is this complaint being tracked from here to get an unplayable game time refund or is this something we’re submitting individual tickets when the issue is resolved? Last time this happened I couldn’t get a refund because WoW Classes still worked correctly and I poked my head in there.

Hi,

Only able to login by double clicking on app icon and using authenticator code, this has been going on for over 24 hours at least.

|Model Name:|Mac Pro 2013|
|Processor Name:|3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5|
|Number of Processors:|1|
|Graphics:|AMD FirePro D700 6 GB
|Memory:|32 GB|
|MacOS BigSur 11.3.1

Thanks for the option, but I tried it and no dice. Still get error not being able to access shmem when I try to direct launch wow app

The problem definitely has to do with permissions. But I have tried the shotgun approach suggested above, and each time I nail down one folder, the problem moves to another – and they are not subfolders of the ones I change permissions for. Blizz has a huge problem here, and they apparently do not give a damn that many of their players are effectively shut out of the game during prime play time.

So what will happen here? Are we waiting for a week day for the developers to fix this? How confident are we that this will ever get fixed?

1 Like

Interestingly enough, I checked my WoW Application folder and found that the Data/data, Data/config and Data/indices folders had all been switched to “Custom” Permissions. I forced them back into “Read & Write” like all the other folders in Data and was able to update and play my games.

1 Like

I am getting no help from blizzard on this. How do you see the permissions in the warcraft folder? I just see a bunch of files and am far from a coder…:frowning:

I figured out how to see the permissions and mine all say read and write but I still can not update.

Right click on the folder/file you want to see info on and select Get Info. If you want to change permissions, click on the little lock in the bottom right corner of the info box, type in your pw when it is asked for in a separate window, and change permissions. This is generally not a good idea, but in this case seems to be the only approach. Don’t forget to re-click the little lock to lock it again when you are done.

Great info. These seem to be the folders that have to be changed. Thanks. I switched permissions on all 3 of mine and the game now launches. (Also, no thanks to Blizz for any help whatsoever on this.)

1 Like
  • Find your agent apps. Users/Shared/Battle.net/Agent. There will probably be a few folders named something like Agent7531 and Agent7581
  • Open the Agen7531 folder and locate the Agent app in that folder, but don’t do anything with it yet. You just need to have it open now for below when it says “IMMEDIATELY” you need to double click (start) this app quickly.
  • Start Activity Monitor
  • Start Battle.net
  • After Battle.net starts, you’ll get the error, close the error message
  • In Activity Monitor, find the Agent process and force quit it (select Agent and click the “x” in the upper left)
  • IMMEDIATELY double-click the Agent app in the 7531 folder
  • In Battle.net, start an update or hit Play

Thanks. This worked for me!

Hey everyone. I had this issue too on my mother-in-law’s MacBook Pro (2015 model, Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7)

I had to uninstall security software. Made sure permissions settings were set to admin user for all files and folders. I went through a whole list of recommendations and what worked for me was completely deleting the WoW application and folders and then did a fresh install of the game to get the latest version. And I set it to auto update so hopefully it won’t happen again in the future. Hope this helps other folks!

Thanks

• Find your agent apps. Users/Shared/Battle.net/Agent. There will probably be a few folders named something like Agent7531 and Agent7581
  • Open the Agen7531 folder and locate the Agent app in that folder, but don’t do anything with it yet. You just need to have it open now for below when it says “IMMEDIATELY” you need to double click (start) this app quickly.
  • Start Activity Monitor
  • Start Battle.net
  • In Activity Monitor, find the Agent process and force quit it (select Agent and click the “x” in the upper left)

This worked!

• Start Activity Monitor
  • Start Battle.net

This worked!

1 Like

Ok I have iMac and the looping through updating has been going on since 11/11. My Mac logon is an Admin user, I even set up another admin ID but it did the same trying to update and then failing. I can’t log into the game at all to play retail WIW, on my iMac. I can’t scan and fix. Battle net doesn’t think my I’d is an administrator for some reason but it is. I can log into with the app on my iPhone and do some of those (?) I forget what you call them. Thanks for the person who directed us to this forum.