WoW won't update

Frustrate-O-Meter is pegged right now.

Biggest regret atm, that I recently bought another 2 months of game time.

1 Like

I’m not convinced Blizz is even aware of the problem. lol

2 Likes

Second time in a month I’ve had to sit out of the game and miss out on subscription time (three days last time) because of a lack of sufficient mac support on blizzard’s end. The first time, me and others had to wait for three days before a fix was implemented. Let’s see how long it takes this time.

I realize that they’re understaffed and overworked and that Blizz no longer have specialized mac support (thank you to all those hard at work trying to resolve these issues) but this might be something that needs to be looked into… not just the technical issues themselves, but the constant mac issues cropping up more frequently, and mac users missing out on days or even weeks of game time, repeatedly, while paying an ongoing subscription.

2 Likes

Don’t waste time reinstalling to fix it. it literally only fixes it for like one run. second first fake patch bug triggers, it’ll fail to update and back to where you were

I’m sure they are, it just doesn’t affect enough users to be a critical one. Probably a “we’ll have a guy look at it monday” one.

This worked for me as well. Edit: I didn’t quote correctly so would like to explain what worked- I moved the World of Warcraft folder. Reinstalled. Copied the Interface and WTF folders to the new install.

Mac OS Big Sur 11.6.1

I”ve been afflicted with the update bug, and the constant request for administrator access as described by many. However, if I launch the game directly, it runs fine, and while it’s running battlement desktop changes from Update to Play, and I can launch other instances of the game just fine. If I quit all instances of the game, shortly after the Update appears on the desktop app, and I can’t launch the game from it. Not sure what happened, but like others the games been fine for a ver long time until I tried to log on yesterday afternoon. Running 16” M1 Max MacBook Pro, Monterey 12.0.

so I did this. it worked. I exited game and then the error was back and the launcher was fubar again.

1 Like

it feels critical to me

On my iMac: I moved the WoW folder to the trash, ran Battle.net and reinstalled the game (waited for 100% reinstall), took my Interface and WTF folders from the copy of the game in the trash and put them in the new _ retail_ folder. Was able to launch the game without any problems. I exited the game and quit Battle.net, and then relaunched everything again just to make sure it wasn’t a one-time fix. It’s working fine. It may be a pain to reinstall (fortunately I have FiOS so it wasn’t a big deal), but just pick a time when you don’t need to be in front of your computer. Blizzard seems to be unwilling to tell us this is what we have to do, but it works.

It helps, but still doesn’t fix the problem…

If you reinstall it will work for 1 session, you can re-add your add ons but the second you close BNET and launch it again the launcher tries to download a non-existent patch and then fails to authenticate again. I feel somewhat better knowing of this thread now because I know its not just me, this is beyond frustrating and the game was working. This is because of BNET/AGENT update/issue and needs to be fixed immediately.

Same problem just arose here on 13 November after working before. Updates stuck at initialising. Deleting the agent and shared Battle.net folder as per Blizzard’s old advice doesn’t work. At some points the ‘agent’ seeks my administrator password, but giving it changes nothing even after restarting Battle.net or the whole Mac.

MacOS 12.0.1 on a 2019 iMac.

Not happy Blizzard - we pay for access and we’re not getting it.

That’s not what happened to me. I’m on my third “session” since reinstalling and there are no problems. I know it’s annoying to have tried something that isn’t working, but for me it did, and I recommend that those who haven’t tried reinstalling do so.

1 Like

I have tried basically everything listed on here, I have even uninstalled the game as I was trying to troubleshoot the same issue on my sisters computer, Uninstalling it has appeared to work on one computer, and now I cant even reinstall wow on my computer. Both computers are running 11.3 BigSur

1 Like

MacOS Mojave 10.14.6
late 2017 IMac 32g Ram I7

Sooo… any updates? : 3

1 Like

OK, first Blizzard needs to have a look into whatever processes are doing their permissions and audit it for this issue… Get it together Blizzard…

This happened again this morning (it is AM here) and I had to do a fix again. I have offer now what should work for any macOS user assuming your use “owns” the game files a the Unix level. From the folder where the World of Warcraft folder is (mine is in a Games folder) run in the terminal (if ownership is an issue add "sudo " before the “find”):

find World\ of\ Warcraft -type d -exec chmod 775 {} ;

To get to the folder to run you need to know where your folder is but can do (again my folder is the example but “cd /Applications” should work for those with a default install location):

cd /Volumes/tornado-data/Games

Here is what they look like entered on my system:

0:dennisw@tornado:~$ cd /Volumes/tornado-data/Games
0:dennisw@tornado:/Volumes/tornado-data/Games$ pwd
/Volumes/tornado-data/Games
0:dennisw@tornado:/Volumes/tornado-data/Games$ find World\ of\ Warcraft -type d -exec chmod 775 {} ;

I am 20+ year career Unix user/operator/admin/junkie (SCO, Solaris, Linux, macOS/OS X, BSD, AIX, HP-UX, and others …)

For the cringe side, this takes care of the egregious 777 by replacing with 775 (no write for the “other” group.) This only needs to apply to directories/folders as “execute” permission is for scanning files in the folder (aka “ls” or “dir”) and setting execute on regular files is not a good security practice as it makes them actually executable (the lack of code makes them not, but if regular are now “world” writable and executable it is a hacker’s wet dream…)

P.S. this is a Terminal executed solution, to be clear Applications… Utilities… Terminal (or your terminal of preference if you are one of those… I use iTerm2 :slight_smile: )

1 Like

For every day you don’t fix this I want a free month.

1 Like

Still getting log in as administrator when trying to update.
Catalina 10.15.7