WoW - Numbers don't lie - Bellular

It also doesn’t include Chinese players (which the old subs Blizzard reported did) and doesn’t include classic only players.

1 Like

I looked at SquareEnix financials and they’re just barely getting by even with FF14 growing at a rapid rate. The game isn’t as profitable as WoW because it’s not a franchise. Also, it’s completely free-to-play up to a certain point so you’re losing money if 50-75% of the new players join don’t make it to max level.

They won’t have the budget to manage all the servers once they’re overloaded with their new expansion and the +50% growth in playerbase.

1 Like

Yeah, seeing the tiers offered - - I imagine quite a few throwing money at it - - - that’s some whacky profit on box/digital sales alone.

Yes, exactly. That is exactly why I used the example of 1000 people paying $20k a month… because you CAN get more profit from less people (and they have proven it) but it would be crazy to think that the pattern will hold for a very long time.

There is a limit that will be reached eventually and it is going to hit like a ton of bricks when it does. The lawsuit could be a triggering event that brings that decline on much faster than anticipated (maybe not, but probably, depending on how things play out).

2 Likes

Yeah, but there’s still a difference between the active users compared with Legion, right? I imagine that all the players they lost also affects the revenue with subscriptions and services.

This dude has no clue how to make a game but I’m an expert critic sounds like game magazine critics. Y’all still dont seem to realize wow is still almost the most populated mmo or might still be but it’s dead go away. They put the trashiest expac out ever and it still sits among the top says alot.

2 Likes

Blizzard isn’t going to be standing by actively though.

They’ll likely be a strong push to get 9.2 out before the end of the year. And of course BC has its own raid tier launches. They’ll drive up subscriptions that may have been lost.

Then 2022 they start launching actual new games and start investing in the mobile game market. MAU should basically double with D4 + Overwatch 2 if everything goes smooth sailing.

Then you have that possible new WoW expansion the end of 2022 as well.

1 Like

Because he…reported on the news? Besides, you realize he (like many former wow content creators) are drifting away from the game as it is? You already got your wish, I suppose.

7 Likes

Yup I was gonna say… they definitely won’t sit idle by.
Take notice of the slew of new hirings they are doing for some pretty big positions. It’s definitely them bolstering their wow team in a push to get things out there and perhaps fresh ideas [associate game director] … so I’d say you are spot on.

To many opinions on the internet I’d rather listen to someone who has experience making games. Not some dude who makes a living off wow content and won’t quit streaming wow for views but its trash. If wow pops a good expansion out be humorous watching streamers run back.

1 Like

Oh right, so the game is as popular as ever, carry on…:joy:

2 Likes

I saw a graph yesterday that ranked games from 2000 to 2021. WoW disappeared off the graph around 2018.

It did show WoW as being very popular, topping the graph at millions of players in 2004 though.
Same for Minecraft later and also Fortnight, later.

It’s the elephant in the room. SL being the last expansion is a discussion topic. The last expansion for WoW is going to happen, just when? Personally I think now is the best time for it because they got WotLK Classic they can roll out and use that money to make a new title and just do mini updates to SL.

I don’t like seeing companies burn but the unfortunate reality is we NEVER will get a good WoW expansion again unless Blizz loses a lot of money and is forced to actually make something good again. Everyone is tired of these dumpsterfire expansions they keep putting out. Blizz went to that well to many times in making terrible products.

I think we all want a great expansion but in order for that to happen things have to get a lot worse and it forces Blizz to see how badly they messed up. So WoW has to burn to be good again. Just the facts.

5 Likes

Blizzard in 2016 (with Legion) just launched Overwatch as well and that doubled the MAU by like 20 million alone. The decline year-to-year is the drastic drop of people playing Overwatch 1 because the game went into maintenance mode until Overwatch 2 comes out.

In-between then Blizzard started squeezing more profits out of WoW with cash-store stuff, WoW classic, 6 month subscription bonuses, etc. They upped the subscription fee world-wide as well. The games economy basically runs off of WoWtokens because a lot of people sit ingame boosting and farming.

So they learned how to milk the most $ out of everyone playing the game.

In this day and age FPS and mobile games are the king of the market. Call of Duty is many times bigger than WoW. The younger generation prefers sandbox survival games and fps ones.

Mobile gaming is going to outpace PC and console gaming soon because most of the world has phones and not computers and game consoles.

Blizzard is just being too slow to respond to ongoing market trends in my opinion. Trying to milk off of existing franchises only played by an aging gaming population isn’t exactly a solid strategy.

3 Likes

Numbers don’t like Bellular, and neither do I. Dude is nothing more then a hate peddler, just like the rest of modern day news outlets.

3 Likes

It’s not of course, but Blizzard played some shady games to pump sub numbers up for their investors with their pay per hour mode but it’s an equivalent “sub.”

Blizzard also stopped that payment model in the middle of WoD…

I wish people would stop posting videos of other people’s thoughts.

1 Like

Agreed.

Everything you say there is a possibility but the Blizzard we have seen for the last 5 years or so has not had a great track record with new releases. Throw in the lawsuit and it’s effects and an ongoing covid issue, and it makes it even less likely.

But don’t get me wrong, I don’t think for a minute that Blizzard “dies” from all of this… however I do believe that WoW could be severely affected.

1 Like

I have bad news for anyone who hopes D4 will come out in 2022. :frowning:

2 Likes

Didn’t realize telling the truth was trashing it? Clearly cares about the game and that’s kinda what the main channel is for… WoW news… gotta use your big brain here

3 Likes