WoW killed itself for raiders over 7 years

Welcome to the wow forums, please enjoy your stay its a super duper fun place!

I never once said to remove raids, rated PvP, or Mythic+, or even to reduce their difficulty.

Some players of course enjoy these kinds of content, and the game developers are obviously hoping that they can just make a minimal amount of repeatable instanced content and not have to develop anything else, to reduce development costs as much as they can.

What I actually want is the return of more casual, accessible, non-toxic, soloable, and/or queuable options for power progression, as we had in the past.

WoW has been dying because the elitist minority demanded the removal of accessible forms of power progression for the casual majority, so as not to devalue raiding rewards, and the developers were happy to oblige. Note that the reverse could never have happened, as the casual majority never demanded the removal of raids.

Raiders require that their content make them feel superior. Casuals want to grow in power from doing the content that they enjoy, and be able to handle legacy content or current content more smoothly. WoW developers have been trying to appease the audience that is inherently more difficult to please, even at the cost of harming their product in the long run.

11 Likes

Lol what’s funny about this thread is you have everyone bashing each other about various methods of power/gear acquisition, when Blizz alone is to blame for categorically slowing down said acquisition for all players in all avenues.

They nerfed loot quality/quantity from m+ and removed KSM valor upgrades for alts. At the beginning of SL raid loot was nonexistent, and even now they’re adding stopgap fixes to the terrible shard of domination system for raid loot. 9.1 nerfed PvP loot in other forms of content after it was deemed too efficient of a gearing path in 9.0.

PvP and M+ Weekly rewards used to be separate, now you only get one reward if you do multiple forms of content. The removal of war/titan-forging removes a progression path for everyone, including more casual players.

All of this is to eek out more time played from the player base. It’s funny seeing the in-fighting when the company has been actively make the game worse for everyone lol.

4 Likes

This is a myth.

And whatever you wrote in bold is nightmarishly stupid.

I think that raiders and many players kill themselves when they want to go beyond what is needed.

Why would you do that ? The game is clearly telling you to stop, but you did it anyways.

Cant blame the devs when they try to comunicate: ‘bro, u need to stop’ and player proceeds to just doing anyways and says: ‘devs stupid, u make do it’

2 Likes

The Devs are out of touch.

They are doing everything to pressure players to raid the last couple xpacs, and participation is still nosediving.

The demographic has moved away from being tied to your pc for a couple hours each week-gamers want bite sized content.

Killing titan forging, reducing the ilevel rewards in both PvP and M+, bis trinkets & shards only dropping in the raid…

M+ and raid numbers are both trending down.

15 member, hours long encounters are dinosaurs of a bygone era!

7 Likes

Most the upcoming changes are minor compared to what the elitist /end gamer game theory they tried to impose on all of the community over that past years, hope the new the leadership recognizes this and backs the elitist off from continuing to ruin the game. (imho)

1 Like

I don’t know if WoW is actually dying but this write-up is spot on to the reality of the situation. Removing Loot+ in the way they did caused the jenga tower to tumble over. It doesn’t actually matter if the outcome isn’t what they want, the point is that the dev intent was to placate the raiders.

I feel like some forum-goers here need to deep-dive into game theory and understand that “Results-Oriented Thinking” is objectively incorrect. Just because certain people aren’t happy with how things turned out doesn’t mean the decisions were not made to cater to them. It doesn’t matter if raiders don’t like Dom Sockets, they point is that raider whining prompted Blizzard to implement a system like Dom Sockets to appease the whining. The same with the removal of Loot+.

10 Likes

Valor?? Hello?

I’m literally the person you are talking about - I raid and do M+. My gear is a half and half split between M+/Valor and raid gear. While you say the raid gear is “shared between raid members,” you’re only looking from it from the perspective that you can get somebody else’s drops. What you’re ignoring for the sake of your argument is that you also have to give up gear, so it offsets.

1 Like

This is one big gigantic delusion.

1 Like

You were singing a different tune before Shadowlands launched when you and Ralph were singing to the high heavens about Covenants finally being the answer to end the evil min maxers.

If anything, you should flip this argument around and point it towards yourself. Remember all those Ion quotes you guys were holding on to, suggesting the game was no longer for “us?” The intent was to make the high end community suffer, but the result was that everybody did. The whole game got worse to try and appease you aggro anti-raiders and the product was worse because of it.

No matter what direction the game goes, you will find some way to moan about raiders for doing more in the game than you. You are a clown.

Such a ridiculous exaggeration. I was getting 5 gem runs in level 12 Torghast at like 230 ilevel, and that’s on a Survival hunter. In no way is it tuned for “mythic raiders”.

Anyone who just raids in Shadowlands especially is basically trolling in regards to gearing.

Not only is the gear acquisition of raids complete garbage compared to M+ (especially once you hit the mid/late point in a tier and gearing grinds to a screeching halt as it becomes more effiicent to extend over reclearing), but most of the gear is garbage as well.

If it weren’t for dom sockets, my BiS list would basically look like “KT weapon, Eye trinket and then the rest M+ gear”.

Raid itemization has been complete dog-crap in SL because Blizzard shrunk the loot table to match the shrunken drop-rates and the end-result is choosing between Crit Haste or Haste Verse if I want a leather helmet.

2 Likes

Yep…DOM gear should have been like Azurite gear in having way more main stat and stamina and passing on the secondaries. I’m forced into stats I don’t want just to use the gems.

There really is nothing this forum loves doing more than guessing what happens at end game and being outraged over it despite never having actually played through it.

Some of the opinions I read on raiding/gearing/etc here are just mind numbingly bizarre. Anyone that has raided would know what we mean, yet people don’t seem to have a clue lol

1 Like

The problem, like most things in society, is the minority scream the loudest.

3 Likes

Raiders don’t care about purples when world quests give them to you raiders care about dps meters you don’t even have any idea of what your talking about

Not gunna lie, I do find it pretty funny that people have to go back as far as WoD to actually find an expansion that’s actually raider favoured to get outraged about.

Hellfire Citadel was 6 years ago lmao.

9.0 was a great patch. Most popular patch in many years. 7.1 million boxes sold. Peak player engagement in many years.

And then we got 9.1. The raider-pandering patch. Undermined what they achieved. Now look where we are at this current time.

You haven’t in any way debunked my narrative, you’ve supported it. We went extreme popularity to a mass fall-off shifting from a patch that was alt-friendly and allowing multiple progression paths to raid or die with raid-centric systems out the wazoo.

1 Like

Except the mass exodus happened literally months before 9.1 came out lmao.

WoW lost literally half those people within two months.