WoW is a video game, not your source of self worth

I think that is the central issue with many toxic wannabe elitists in this game, it isnt about performance, it isnt about “”“fun”"", it isnt even about efficiency, it is purely about ego and self worth which is what makes them so desperate and in need to downing bosses asap. (And to achieve that they need the most optimal spec, most optimal comb etc. This is a psychologically unhealthy behavior and we should never pander to them because they only get worse psychologically)

This is also often seen in guilds, with some people not giving a damn about anything other than getting kills asap, getting video game “achievements” to feel better even though all people who are secure in their skill and ability do not need the achievement to know they are competent and are happy to progress slowly in a fun and friendly environment.
You can see that kind of individual often, the one that rages on in voice chat or demands everyone to be optimal for every single boss or to extreme lengths the ones that bench people for playing arcane for example or stack the fight with OP specs, in such tryhard guilds you are no longer a person, you are a “fire mage we bring to X content/boss” or “outlaw rogue we bring to X content/boss”, these guilds dont see those players as people but rather as tools which is again extremely unhealthy attitude and always leads to more toxic behavior in an MMO because they dont care about rpg elements, they dont care about mechanics, they dont care about people, all they care about is their ego.

The game’s rules as an RPG clearly imply you arent meant to be optimal at all situation ergo you are gonna have strengths and weaknesses and because the game isnt made for ultra tryhards even 20man groups of competent players can slowly progress bosses without optimal specs or combs, but when your ego depends on getting those kills asap then of course you are not gonna care about a good environment with friendly people, you only care about optimization to get your achievement rush.

The sad truth is I would like to say that is just younger people desperate for a source of self worth but I know for a fact many of the toxic wannabe elitists are pretty old and still obsess over video game “achievements” to this day.

Thankfully I feel shadowlands will be an improvement in that area because many of those toxic people will have to adapt and learn to be sub optimal at situations because the majority wont level 4 of each, especially not in the era of 1 piece per m+

46 Likes

You’re calling out toxic players?

How ironic.

69 Likes

Yet another Ralph.

36 Likes

Does it matter how others choose to play? It’s not blizzards responsibility to ensure how seriously players take the game; as a business it’s in their best interests though for that sub money.

2 Likes

Ion quite literally had to tell Preach and his high end community to not take WoW very seriously because “non skill factors will always affect your performance because this isnt overwatch”

It is pretty clear Ion sees the issue and is trying to do something about it, there’s some forms of unhealthy behaviors, that behavior needs to be eradicated, it is like toxic masculinity, that is an unhealthy behavior that its extermination will make the world a better place and nothing of value would be have been lost.

This is an mmorpg, not a overwatch or dota or counter strike.

6 Likes

Nope, but some people want to make friennnnnds :butterfly: and others just want to get content cleared, and they shouldn’t be grouped.

1 Like

and here we see one of the most toxic players on the forums calling others toxic.

24 Likes

Even Trolls can sometimes get things right.

For many it is about ego, and that can cause huge issues. Especially when their egos are not properly fed.

However, of course being little more than a scumsucking bottomfeeding attention seeking junkie … also known as a forum troll, he has to ruin it with excessive amounts of arrogance, rude commentary and the like.

4 Likes

You’re telling me putting someone on ignore on these forums isn’t account-wide?? God damn it.

15 Likes

No, no, no… This is clearly someone who’s brand new to the forums. He only has 1 post to his name even.

Never mind the fact that his name is almost identical to a certain “beloved” panda that’s in the same guild. There’s no way they could be the same person! :rofl:

2 Likes

The problem comes from people of different camps grouping up. Preach said in one of his videos (paraphrasing it’s been years) Casuals shouldn’t join toxic guilds and toxic players shouldn’t join casual guilds

1 Like

Even if it was what good would that do? It’s not difficult to get another wow account.

That takes a lot more effort than just switching characters, and wouldn’t happen near as often.

Ion: “Preach, we want players to stop caring about the game, because that’s what is good for the game in the long run.”

Players: “I’ve stopped caring about the game. I keep forgetting to log in, or I log in and log right back out again. I canceled my sub and am just going to let it run out.”

—Heard repeatedly during BfA.

5 Likes

So if I make a toon called Vardre … all my previous sins are forgiven?

And yes, I do have a toon by that name. It was a throway name. Heard about the new weapon looks for DKs, didn’t know they’d have them available at the DK vendor. So he got created, and there he sits.

The forum software seems to largely think different characters are different accounts.

I don’t know if they ever fixed it, but originally when they first switched over if you got a vacation on one character you could still post on other characters.

I wish instead Ion took WoW more seriously. Specifically, the players.

4 Likes

I guess relative to just switching characters yeah it’s a lot more work but generally speaking it’s not that much work.

He’s not wrong. But you said it yourself; Preach and his “high end community”. There’s no issue in taking the game seriously if your expectations on how you play the game align with those you play it with.

For some players, that’s being the most optimal they can be in all situations.

1 Like

They definitely fixed that, unfortunately. And of course it wasn’t extended to anything else like the ignore function.