Wow, doesn't feel like Warcraft anymore?

i mean, yes, it’s true that some jrpgs are in japanese because they were made in japan. that’s not a huge revelation

ITT: “Warcraft doesn’t feel like warcaft” becomes “no gay people in video games” ??

This is why people don’t want to play games with you guys

3 Likes

Cause they aren’t a JRPG if they aren’t made in Japan.

It’s in the very definition… some western studio making a game inspired by a jrpg doesn’t make it one lmao.

Monster hunter is a JRPG
Dauntless is not, despite being both monster hunting games.

Perhaps when they started, but now its a genre of RPG with specific design elements that are made all over the world.

3 Likes

Literally not a thing, you’re just making stuff up.

2 Likes

Apparently I’m not the only one…

4 Likes

Returning to dragonlore makes it feel more like the Warcraft of my late teens-early twenties than it has in a while. I was glad to see the end of the Burning Legion story because ugh, enough already. Same with Old Gods.

From a “feel” perspective, I honestly don’t know that they could have done better. This game is 20 years old next year and its still churning stories out. Some are good, some are bad…just like any other creative endeavor that goes on for this long.

3 Likes

Yeah, people are wise to the “template” (killing a few rares here and there, 3-4 WQs sprinkled in, etc) by now

Copy-pasted content breeds boredom for sure

1 Like

Constantly fighting primalistsb all day long, but you somehow missed that.

Love how i can look up all these games game on steam and none of them have the JRPG tag cause the people at steam understand what a JRPG is.

So the definition that you accept is the only one that’s correct? Sounds about right for this thread, lol.

5 Likes

I can also look up these video games websites and not a single one is labeling themselves as a JRPG either.

So if the studio themselves don’t see their games as a JRPG
STEAM doesnt see it as a jrpg but only this random person on the internet does

Guess who’s wrong.

Not the studios or steam

1 Like

Per Wikipedia:

Per Reddit:

No one need to “guess”, everyone knows you are wrong
(These aren’t official terms defined by Merriam-Webster or the like, they are inofficial to serve a useful categorical and linguistical purpose)

3 Likes

From the linked list of “10 JRPGS you didnt know werent made in japan”

Septerra Core - Steam has the JRPG tag on it.

Magna Carta: The Phantom of Avalanche was from PS2. regularly referenced as a JRPG

Cthulhu Saves The World - Steam has the JRPG tag on it

Crimson Gem Saga - Not on steam, but regularly referenced as a JRPG

Shadows of Adam - Steam has the JRPG tag on it

Cosmic Star Heroine - Steam has the JRPG tag on it

So I guess you are wrong.

You cant look up these video games and see no one is labeling as a JRPG either.

Is steam wrong?

I literally looked each one up.

6 Likes

Hilarious. It’s always great to see bad arguments destroyed like that. lol.

No kid, The owners mandated a release schedule and overmonetization which caused a lot of the “old warcraft” folks you pine for to leave. It’s why we get bombarded with Microtransactions and half baked expansions.

It’s also kind of a wild take given that the proposal was to move the studio to Austin or Dallas because “California culture” was ruining the game (which kind of ignores how Dallas and Austin aren’t that removed from that “culture”) whereas Japan is infamously insular.

It’s all different writers and developers now than 20+ years ago when they started coding this.

1 Like

So the only people that can do the work are the type of people Elon had to fire when he took Twitter cause they were working there doing nothing.

I still laugh in those " life in the day of a Twitter employee videos where the employees were literally doing nothing but drinking coffee and working out then answering emails for 1 hour to go on a huge lunch break and play in the campsuses tennis court"

Except it didn’t, cause none of these studios are being insultful calling themselves JRPGs on their own webs and rightful so.

Bring the game to Dallas and maybe we’ll actually get some black hair styles for all races

This is a textbook example of moving the goalpost.

So it doesn’t matter that Steam labels them a JRPG…or the media…or the players…

The Developers are the only opinion that matters now because they are the only thing left that supports your argument and they are doing it by omission.

1 Like