Wow, doesn't feel like Warcraft anymore?

Who else here feels like the game’s story and aesthetics don’t feel very Warcraft these days? Legion and BFA still felt like WoW to me, but SL and DF just feel like generic fantasy. Sure, the game has always had an element of generic fantasy, but the last 2 expansions just feel very generic.

This is not a complaint post, either.

Edit: Please ignore the 40 posts by the 3 people dragging politics into the discussion.

201 Likes

Yes, and it is because blizzard is a ship of theseus. It is not the same team or company.

The vibe is completely different and not in a good way.

142 Likes

IT feels like the current team doesn’t have a good grasp on the Warcraft universe. Probably why they brought Metzen back.

78 Likes

Playable Ogres would help.

They are a historical core race to the world that for some reason remains unplayable. Meanwhile we get a strange version of mechagnomes when the 7 mechagnome fans actually wanted robots not cyborgs.

78 Likes

I really like Dragonflight but it does feel like I’m being gentle parented every quest. Lol! Like I’m a little kid and the npcs are grown ups trying to set a good example. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

47 Likes

It hasn’t felt “like Warcraft” since Cataclysm, to be honest. I don’t really care, make way for new aesthetics. I wouldn’t want the sameness of 1.x over and over.

22 Likes

They use the same rigging as gnomes, was an easy addition for the team.

2 Likes

I think he means he wanted 100% robotic ones, the rigging would be the same regardless. Just no flesh.

14 Likes

I’ll never understand this argument…

People say the game is bad because it is no longer being made by the original crew…so your solution is massive layoffs and bringing in another new crew that is even further removed? How does that make any sense?

And what does it matter which state the game is made in? What does the state the game is made in have to do with anything? For example, are all games developed in Pennsylvania better than those made in Montana?

39 Likes

Laying off the pawns doesn’t change the kings and queens mindset on the story

19 Likes

Are you living in an imaginary world where Blizzard can’t hire who they want because they are located in California?

29 Likes

this wont help much. the game is running on empty bc of lack of things to really do and the writers are so bad man. the ogres would be cool for ppl who want it but it isnt something ppl are gonna stay logged more than a few weeks out their sub for them lol

7 Likes

personally DF feels way more like warcraft that SL and BFA.

9 Likes

Exactly!

It sure looks that way. I am pretty sure the “state” had lots to say about who Blizz hires after that state led lawsuit.

This game would surly be better if hired from a pool of experienced devs from Dallas, or heck, even Austin!

I would be willing to even put money on it.

LOL. Seriously?

I mean BfA even has the word Battle in the title. The ONLY expansions that do not have any sense of doom, and or war in them are MoP and SL, and DF sure is not hitting that spot, But MoP did actually have a pretty big war going on in the expansion.

SL/DF, both losers in my opinion.

21 Likes

How in 2023 do people not understand the problem isn’t with the programmers, VAs or writers but with the owners?

Like if you want the game to be “fixed” you need to get rid of bobby and the rest of the board which ~god willing~ will happen after the merge with MS.

25 Likes

BFA/SL both garbage in mine.

The only thing good about BFA was allied races.

6 Likes

Are you of the mind that california is somehow lacking in qualified programmers?

21 Likes

I also liked the allied races.

Corruption was kind of fun.

That’s about it for BFA.

3 Likes

No, what they are doing is quite simply a dogwhistle to say “Female programmers are bad” (and yes, I use ‘female’ here explicitly because of what it evokes)
Add on top of that the divided nature of US politics and the current fear mongering tactics and … well, you see where I’m going with this - they aren’t exactly subtle about their implication, I mean… an even bigger tell would be “[…] even Austin!”

22 Likes

Yeti
Onesies

7 Likes