Repeated crash to desktop with WoW.exe ACCESS_VIOLATION

SOLVED

This crash was solved for me by not using frostweave net until Blizzard fixes it. Anyone else experiencing similar problems, refer to Bugreporters aggregate thread below for possible fixes. Thanks everyone for your help and input. :+1:

Scan and repair ran with 0 issues, sfc /scannow run with 0 issues. No overheating per HWInfo. Windows 11 updated as well as Nvidia drivers to current versions. Everything else on the computer runs fine, including graphics intensive Steam games.

The only problem is WoW, crash usually happens when trying to PvP. Wow was running fine with 0 issues until patch 11.0 was released.

I looked in Windows Event Viewer and do not see any event for the WoW.exe crash.

This is the error message that pops up.

The application encountered an unexpected error.

Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\retail\Wow.exe

Exception: ACCESS_VIOLATION - The instruction at ā€œ0x00007ff639f072bfā€ referenced memory at ā€œ0x000000000000000aā€.

The memory could not be ā€œreadā€.
ProcessID: 24484
ThreadID:10436

Press OK to terminate the application.

Please use the REport ID below when communicating with Blizzard about this issue.
1D949648-A11B-4774-A7E2-A444131CB15D

4 Likes

I have this same issue! This is a new thing thatā€™s been happening to me and happens at the randoms times. Iā€™ve contacted support before about my crashes and there has been no issues besides to check the forums. Iā€™ve done every check, reinstall, update there is. Iā€™ve disabled all my addons and nothing have changed. This is something that has been going on for the past week or two, something new and had zero issues before this with crashing.

Has anyone come across a fix with this issue?

Iā€™m getting this error any time Iā€™m hovering over an item and hold shift to compare. Instantly crashes the game with the same error.

im getting this same error no matter what i do.
I get it when:
Mouse over gear or hell any item in the game.
Talk to an NPC to get a quest/turn in a quest
Talk to an NPC to sell/vendor items
Open the auction house
opening mail/sending mail.
open the guild bank
open personal bank
open my bags
loot windows (thank god for auto loot)
just randomly flying around to get quests

This didnā€™t happen till the prepatch

Been playing all day pretty much. As ofā€¦ about 15 minutes ago I get this same error (so far) only when attempting to interact with a vendor of any kind.

Transmogrifier? Fine
Profession trainer? Fine
Anyone that can sell things or repair gear? NOOOOOOPE

Itā€™s FUNDERFUL

Edit: tried on another character same realm and no issue. Thatā€™s just about all I needed to test to know that this is 100% not a client-sided issue.

funderful?
more like clusterflusterfucerating. (had to take the ā€œKā€ out)

Iā€™ve been having this issue on my bank character since patch day. Every time I open a mailbox, insta-crash. Same error message as the OP :frowning:

I have many mails that need tending to!

Report ID: B0370DF1-FBC6-4DAB-BC2F-FEC8797B176C

1 Like

Performed a Windows Memory Diagnostic with multiple scans and it passed with 0 errors. Did a uninstall/reinstall of WoW, full WoW UI reset and uninstalled addon manager and all addons, but this problem still persists.

As is, game is unplayable.

This is definitely a Blizzard issue with the wow.exe file and needs to be corrected ASAP! We are all Beta testers now and not even getting compensated for the game being unusable.

Day 4 with this same issueā€¦ I test the game everyday to see if it has been corrected. In one Wintergrasp battle Wednesday I crashed 30+ times in a single match.

2 Likes

I read earlier that this issue was ongoing during Beta and it was not addressed. Now they pushed the beta to live and we are all beta testers. Microsoft has failed to fix this error which prevents us from being able to access what we are paying for.

1 Like

Up date I got my priest online logged in and opened her bags just touched a stack of revenger dogs I had stock piled for the daily and crashed. A few more tries got her logged on again and was able to sell them to the vendor with a crash on the click to sell. log back in now staying online.

So this could have been fixed days ago with a simple database edit to remove them. but instead we get Incompetence and forum letters.

i have been getting this same exact problem ever since the prepatch launched Tuesday night. It happens whenever I attempt to hand in a quest.

This might be related to the food bugged, i just got sent a mail ON PURPOSE by someone i never talked to and had the exact same problem, had to disable TSM so it didnā€™t attempt to get the item information so i could open the mailbox.

Meaning, u may have an item that is bugged and from time to time an addon, likely tsm, bag brother, bagnon or another that handles inventory is attempting to access information related to it.
I wonā€™t list the items cause people are using it as an exploit too, but i know about at least 2 so far.

To anyone that doesnā€™t think this is the case, i suggest disabling the last options added at the end of the graphics configuration and test it, under

compatibility settings

I deleted WoW, addon manager and all addons. I did a clean install of WoW with 0 addons and this still happened. Addons arenā€™t causing this issue.

Deleted Curseforge & WoW. Ran mem scan with 0 errors. Fresh install of WoW. No addons. Same crash. Now on 2 toons.

For me, I was leveling in Northern Barrens doing sunscale feather quest. Had played fine for an hour plus till I started looting raptors, then crash. Reload, about 10 secs not doing ANYTHING, crash.

Always the same damn issue as OP, just different process IDs. Cā€™mon, Blizz. A free day added to my account for a s*** patch day ainā€™t making up for this.

1 Like

I disabled addons - didnā€™t work
I did a scan and repair - didnā€™t work
I did a windows update - didnā€™t work
I updated graphics driver - didnā€™t work

I cannot hand in quests and Iā€™m sure thereā€™s more I canā€™t do. I am very sad now.

1 Like

I just tried to turn graphics down to 1 and it still crashed when I tried to hand in quest.

Also having this Issue. It typically happens for me when I receive 4 quest rewards to choose from, and hover my mouse to look at them. A bunch while I was questing Shadowlands, now Dragonflight. Also uninstalled all every addon, and I run nothing besides wow. Not so fun.

1 Like

I also am having this problem. This was noticed only on my monk at first. And only when mousing over items from the Bullion vendor in Valdraken. And only with a weapon equipped. Remove the monkā€™s weapon, I could trade the Bullion for the xmog item. The items it seemed to crash on were items my monk could not wield.

So I figured Iā€™d wait and see and maybe not have a weapon equipped on that character when talking to that vendor to trade bullion.

Well, I was on my Goblin warlock today and wanted to trade some PvP Honor for shields to vendor the shields for gold. When I moused over the shields, game crash. There is one other comp in the house and that computer is playing wow, they are not seeing any of this, the computers are exactly the same.

So I rolled back my nvidia drivers as nvidia drivers have been kinda unstable lately. No luck.

I have disabled addons and all that other stuff.

I am currently resetting windows fully because itā€™s easy and about time. I think it will make no difference.

Anyway, same boat.

Same exact issue for me starting todayā€¦every time I try to interact with a vendor. I have tried everything, disabled addons, re-in stalled windows and WOWā€¦still same messageā€¦

Same issue since the patch. It sucks because itā€™s affecting time restricted vendors like the antique bullion.