Repeated crash to desktop with WoW.exe ACCESS_VIOLATION

I have found that items/cosmetics with unknown looks will also trigger this crash, tested with and without addons.

Interesting…I got those ACCESS_VIOLATION errors on my Warrior too.
When I switched from Arms to Fury or Protection the issue was gone. I tested it with Arms again while unequip my Two-Hand-Weapon and if I do so I can mouseover all items in my bag without issues. As soon as I equip a 2-Hand again, the issues comes back.

Btw:
I’m just doing Blizzards job and collecting all threads with that issue and creating a report in the Bug Report forum.

This is a serious issue that is preventing us from playing the game properly and they have to confirm that it is an issue were they must look into!

1 Like

I’ve collected all threads regarding this issue and created a bug report here:

4 Likes

Getting same issue here. Crash about 4-5 times per BG. If this isn’t fixed by expansion release I will not be purchasing.

1 Like

Update. Can consistently replicate this issue/crash when using the item ‘Frostweave Net’ with no player targeted. Can anyone else with tailoring confirm?

2 Likes

CONFIRMED Trying to use Frostweave Net causes an access violation and the game to crash to desktop every time.

The WoW database is just totally corrupted on Blizzard’s end. I was looking at my mount list and some mounts aren’t even showing up correctly. For instance, “Vicious War Spider” shows up as Crusty Crawler.

Looking at Bugreporters link post above shows that there are several other items that are causing the same crash for people. Thanks Bugreporter for collecting these posts to help bring attention and hopefully get this issue resolved more quickly.

Did you enable Arachnophobia mode?

If you turn it off, you might have to reload to change it from Crab to Spider again.

Just tested.

Wow, yep, Arachnophobia mode was turned on. Turning it off restored my mounts to normal. No issue there, thanks for the correction Kozzae. :slight_smile:

Removing frostweave net off of my bars, I am now able to play BG’s again. Thanks Eschandaylah for that find!

Yes, same here on two computers. Using Forstweave Net is causing the ACCESS_VIOLATION error.

I do not and never did have Arachnophobia mode turned on. Also have not used frost weave net. I experience the crashing trying to hand in a quest

1 Like

Can confirm, I’ve been getting this issue randomly when browsing vendors - there doesn’t seem to be a consistent cause.

Additionally, I got it another time when rewarded gear from the time rift boss.

SO FAR it seems to be character limited, my DK hasn’t had this issue yet?

For my specific problem, the frostweave net was causing the error. I removed frostweave net from by bars and replaced it with embersilk net until this is fixed. I had arachnophobia mode on and the mvp made note that’s why some mounts appeared different.

Ultimately, there are a number of items in game besides the frostweave net, that are causing the game to crash. Some items are safe to hover over if you have a 1h/Oh equipped but will cause the game to crash if you have a 2h equipped. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

For a more extensive list of possible causes, refer to bugreporters post above which gathered other users posts highlighting similar game issues.

On bugreporters bug report post linked above , somebody states that characters with 2 handed weapons ( staff/sword/gun etc) are having this issue predominantly. Un-equip your two handed weapon ( drag to backpack) and THEN click on the offending item ,

Other people are saying that this does nothing and they still crash. I mean, it’s worth a shot but not a fix.

Okay, so I was doing bullion buys on my toons… Druids, Shamans, etc… I had two handed weapons on them… no problem… but when I went on my Priest (also with a 2H weapon), all the sudden opening any Bullion vendor the game would instantly crash… i changed specs, same problem… got rid of various gear, same problem… I came looking for a solution, found this thread and decided to remove my 2H weapon…

SUCCESS… can now use bullion vendor.

As a test, i put my 2H staff back on my priest… immediate crash… it’s certainly not all 2H weapons, I had NO PROBLEM with my druids and their 2H weapons, so I dunno, but it definitely happened to my priest, very repeatable crash and very fixable solution (remove 2H weapon). note, this only occured after the 11.0 patch.

Mind you, my crash was identical but had NOTHING to do with frostweave net… I had the same crash but traced it down to a 2H weapon on one particular toon on my account.

1 Like

Agreed, not a fix, temporary work around more like

For me it´s happening with my new Hunter.
When I try to use an item of the quest.

The item is Old Whitebark’s Pendant

I was also getting the same error - first on trying to consume a certain food item, then it happened again when trying to in a quest. After reading here about 2-handed weapons, I switched to another 2-handed weapon and was able to turn in the quest. Will post again if problem re-occurs. Hopefully Blizz will fix soon.

Nope, changing weapon (2-handed or 1-handed) or unequipping weapon does not solve issue. And it’s not related to any specific item for me. I can sell to a vendor, then I’ll get to one item and I’ll get the error and can no longer even use that vendor. It’s also happened turning in a quest; and now accepting a quest - so I’m stuck.

Just got this error when I was using a spell (holy shock) on myself in Valdrakken. First time this has ever happened.

Exception: ACCESS_VIOLATION - The instruction at “0x00007ff7cf125dca” referenced memory at “0x0000000000000020”.
The memory could not be “read”.
ProcessID: 6868
ThreadID: 23892