WoW causing network to crash after 1-2 minutes

For the past week I’ve been having my network (multiple devices across the house and router) losing connection specifically when I enter world in WoW. By losing connection I mean my router drops all connections and sometimes even restarts. I’ve tested other online games as well as other services (youtube, netflix, etc…) but WoW has been the main suspect (I even tested this on another computer with the same results). I have some IT background so I did some troubleshooting already but can’t figure this out.

• Google Nest router with Nest AP
  • Hardwired to switch
    • Switch goes directly to router
    • Router goes to ONT
  • PC hardware (99% sure this is unrelated but someone might ask)
    • 32 gb ram
    • 3060 ti
    • Ryzen 9 3900x

Sounds like your router might need replacing if it reboots when you connect.

That’s what I was thinking but was hoping someone else had the same issue and found a resolution.

You’ve tried everything from this blue post?

1 Like
  1. Network driver updates
    Yes, didn’t have any updates really… I’m usually on top of updates.
  2. Power cycling your hardware
    Definitely have done this.
  3. Switching to an Ethernet cable connection
    Swapped cables, routers (from my personal one back to the ISP given one), and even tried on a different computer both wireless and wired.
  4. Bypassing network hardware like routers
    Have not tried this but this yet, but odd that the game would crash multiple computers and routers so I don’t think it is my computers or routers now but maybe the ISP’s ONT.
  5. Testing from a different network or a mobile tether
    No, will try and test on cell tether
  6. Replacing the device that is crashing
    Multiple routers crashing.

I was planning on replacing my router so I placed an order for another already. I will test when that one arrives and see if a 3rd router has the same issue, if so then I assume it would be the ONT and I’ll have to call my ISP. Found other forums that had the same issue but couldn’t find any solution (Disconnects from WoW are crashing entire network connection) I will update this after the new router is here for anyone else in the future having this issue.

Howdy!

In the past I’ve seen this issue related to known hardware issues with the Pump6 router but this can also be a sign something is wrong with the router itself so if a firmware and factory reset doesn’t fix it a new router is best. In some rarer cases it could be the modem but your whole house connection would drop if it was the modem.

Let us know if the new router works!

New router arrived (Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro) and still having the same issues. I tried Diablo Immortal on launch and didn’t have issues but WoW and CoD are still taking down my network. Still not clear on what’s exactly happening but 1-2 minutes of game traffic and the network just gets reset (router and APs reboot). I will contact my ISP and dive deeper to hopefully figure this out.

There was an issue with ubiquiti causing issues. Check this thread

I just installed my UDM so it can’t be that, I’ve also had this issue with 2 other routers I’ve tried so far (ISP router, Google Nest router).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.