Disconnects from WoW are crashing entire network connection

Since I’ve returned to WoW this year I’ve experienced disconnects from my server “Emerald Dream” more and more frequently, but these last few days it’s been getting so bad I can’t even go 5 minutes without being disconnected. But also in just the last few days the disconnects are also co-inciding or causing it’s beginning to seem my entire network connection to drop, as odd as that may sound.

At first I thought it was just a disconnect from the Emerald Dream server as the game would become unresponsive, then freeze for a few seconds then I’d be kicked back to the Login Prompt page for WoW. But I decided to run a constant ping to 8.8.8.8 and noticed “request timed out” coinciding with disconnects from Emerald Dream.

As this kept happening I tried connecting to my personal router which I could, but I couldn’t connect to my ISP’s modem which was odd? How could WoW cause my router to reset it’s connection?!?

I left WoW alone for a few hours and streamed some netflix and played Insurgency Sandstorm on Steam with no disconnects. Went back to WoW and again within 5 min I was disconnected from Emerald Dream and also my ISP Modem was disconnected again?

Some quick googling resulted in a few other folks over the 2019 till the present experiencing a similar issue. Blizz tech support suggests to reset your modem and or router to resolve the issue as the WoW client (or perhaps the Battle.net client) can be very persnickety with network traffic and can flood a router causing disconnects. First I’d heard of that but ok I’ll try the modem and router resets but no change. Launch WoW and within minutes not only is WoW disconnected but so is my internet connection till it restarts on its own.

Weird stuff, and I work in IT (granted I’m not a network admin) but I do have to troubleshoot lots of client connectivity issues so I’m not a neophyte when it comes to networks either.

I found some Blizz posts suggesting I run the WinMTR app to capture network/route info while connecting/playing WoW which I did, and have attached the results below. I also came across Blizzards Battle dot net looking glass testing tool (really cool) and ran that as well. Also pasted below for reference.

So has anyone else experienced a similar issue of their network connection being reset when WoW disconnects from your realm server? and if so how (if you even were) able to fix it?

Since we can’t post anything with links I’ve put the WinMTR and Looking Glass results on pastebin with the link spelled out in words below.

WinMTR results
H tea tea pee s colon slash slash pastebin dot com slash 3LsRHShQ

Looking Glass results
H tea tea pee s colon slash slash pastebin dot com slash x2QczeNQ

tracert
H tea tea pee s colon slash slash pastebin dot com slash mZTw1nAL

pathping
H tea tea pee s colon slash slash pastebin dot com slash 9KGspspg

P.S.
I read in another post from someone with what sounds like the same issue as mine here on the forum to make sure you’ve got QoS disabled on the ISP’s modem as well as your own router if you have one.

I’ve got a Netgear Nighthawk for a router and QoS is confirmed to be off (already was disabled). And as far as I can tell from my ISP’s modem it also has QoS disabled.

I also have an addon called “Lagbar” that shows your Home & World ping. When the World Ping spikes into the 1000’s of ms I know I’m pooched, though rarely it does settle down. If the Home ping also spikes into the 1000’s of ms then a disconnect is only seconds away.

P.P.S
I had this issue at my previous apartment but am also experiencing it at the new apartment I just moved to. Same ISP (Telus) and it’s the same router I’ve got connected to the same ISP’s modem.

And a thought just occurred to me, could an out of date addon crash WoW? I’m sure if could, but then how would it cause my ISP’s router to reset/restart???

P.P.P.S.
I just noticed 2 settings in game under System > Network.

• Optimize Network for Speed (which I had checked)
  • Enable IPv6 when available (which I didn’t have checked)

I’ll try checking off IPv6 to see if that helps with the disconnects from the game server, but still I’d like to know how/what is causing my Network Connection to reset at the exact same time WoW disconnects.

Host - % Sent Recv Best Avrg Wrst Last
10.0.0.1 - 0 1052 1052 0 0 25 0
192.168.1.254 - 0 1052 1052 0 1 24 1
10.145.184.1 - 2 :warning: 983 965 4 30 715 :warning: 6
No response from host - 100 212 0 0 0 0 0
STTLWAWBCI01.bb.telus.com - 2 :warning: 980 961 25 51 716 :warning: 27

Looks like there are several issues inside Telus’ network. Packet loss, high ping spikes, stuff you can’t fix from your house. I recommend calling them up.

That’s what I was thinking as well, but I’m still a bit mystified as to how it’s causing the Telus Modem to crash/reset.

O’well I may never learn. I’m considering switching to the competition anyways for a faster connection.

It’s probably just the connection timing out, so the modem restarts to attempt at getting a better (less laggy) connection. Unfortunately, with the problem being a few hops away, the modem reset won’t accomplish much.

I’m running into a very similar issue, except I’m hardwired into my Netgear Mesh that’s connected to the modem and when I get DC’d from the game, the internet connection on my desktop goes down, but the rest of my family streams away just fine my wife stays VPN’d to the company network, it’s like it affects the network adapter directly. I’ve tried updating to latest drivers and such, but it’s a 3 or 4 times a night thing any night of the week.

Were you able to come up with anything, OP?

This thread is about 6 mo old. It’s better to start your own thread rather than dig up one this old.

When you want to post a link, just put it between backquotes (the one on the tilde key). There’s no need to do the “h tea tea pee”, though that is cute.

www.anysiteyoulike.org.com.cz/htmlabcdefg

It won’t be clickable, but anyone can then copy/paste the link, or highlight it and drag it to open a new tab. Anyone at any trust level can post links like this.

Good luck.

Edit: Whoops, I got caught up in the necro. Oh, well.