Would you rather level quickly or through story?

Thread subject is a weird one, as currently going the story route is far quicker than threads of fate.

Having said that, I enjoy the leveling process. I read everything, do every side quest. It’s by far the most interesting, entertaining time of any expansion.

2 Likes

To me too …

1 Like

Fast. And should be even faster rn. my alt took 8 hours to get into 50 whitout exp pots and buffs by questing and nothing else, too much time.

I do not pay a monthly fee to read crap stories. “Oh but X mmo is bet-” dead wrong, they are all subpar compared to basically any book of any genre and thats why videogame stories tend to be nothing but sub of the subculture. They are also a poor base to develop reading skills.
Played WoW, SWTOR, ESO, FF, Albion, AC etc etc because it is a genre which has a playability that i find enjoyable. The only thing i expect from a game lore is cohesion for stabilished rules inside the fantasy world it is set in, everything else i honestly don’t care. “This npc is the grea-” no i do not care if it literally cease to exist or if they will expand upon it.
Storywise you will only find single players game with a descent story. Online games? No, and honestly it is a waste of time and resources to develop an amazing one because online gaming thrives on replayability and even the best story after done one time gets dull, unless you are a hardocore fan of said franchise, obviously. I don’t immediately read the same book after i finish it nor anyone does want to play through the same story several times.
They should go back to make an OK narrative for each region instead of a grand objectives for the whole universe at least while leveling i would focus on different zones with different characters.

Ok, no disrespect because I’m unclear on your stand when it comes to casual storyline quest mostly people having to endure remarks like, “You want gear handed to you on a silver platter without doing any work.” So forgive me when I don’t think 8 hours is very long to get to what you want compared to hours upon hours of quests to get geared up and a slimmed down storyline so there is no natural progression path for said gear.

I get it. You want highend content and you want it the instant the game starts or within a few days. I respect your desire for that kind of play. In turn I would hope for some respect for rpg’s & casual story players

1 Like

I prefer to level slowly, through the story doing quests. I sometimes like to level an alt faster but usually take the slow questing route with them, as well.

Level thru story once and then have the option to get thru quickly on all my other toons.

1 Like

Lot’s of my friends and family are PVP players- they could care less about the zones . It would be great if they could have a PVP centric leveling experience-maybe with some unique PVP weapons, transmog and the like-themed at the latest expansion, but earned through BG leveling or ???

If you are talking about the new zones then maybe. I can only do the story quest line once and then it is stale for me.

I leveled up six characters to 60 during Vanilla and getting to 60 never felt like an achievement to me.

Quickly, if it could be instant to max level even better. I been there done that, rather move to the endgame which is what i like to do.

1 Like

Well LOL I’m an altaholic… I’ve done quite a bit both ways. Sometimes, it’s nice to dungeon crawl. Moreso recently, I have loved leveling. I think I leveled 5 toons in BFA to max. I’ve got 3 at max rn and am working on 2 others. I like going through the zones and seeing what each one has to offer.

Also, I LOVE the Chromie option!

1 Like

Even more Unpopular opinion:

I leveled all the way up to 60 in Classic and to 70 in TBC Classic, didn’t find the “difficult and challenging” leveling you talk about, i just found a really slow and tedious process which was too brain dead.

1 Like

It all depends on your motivations. If your pushing end game progression then theres an expectation to level quickly. Honestly I dont think the stories wow has is that in depth that it requires a longer leveling process. Currently theres a mid ground. People who want can push to max in a couple days and the rest can take whatever time they want to level.
What I would like is once you get your main toon to max, that you have an option for increased experience on your alts and I wish they had an account shared rep system, so once youve hit exalted on your main it would unlock on your alts. Its annoying to have to do the rep grinds on multiple toons again and again just to unlock profession recipes

1 Like

It is an eternity.
By all means create the most great story in the planet even though it gives null utility for replayability if you cannot make different decisions with different otucomes for different classes/races.
But leave me out of it i am not paying expansions and subs to have a subpar generic storyline experience present in every single mmos as my focus.

1 Like

Single player, leveling and such w/ story I enjoy longer periods.
MMO’s is a hard balance to strike IMO.

For me, just because how this game is structured, I don’t like leveling too long because ultimately the story never feels too interesting and the leveling, well, there is only so much kill-fetch quests I can do before the novelty wears off.

I’m not a fan of fast leveling, but dislike the railroad tracks we now live and breathe by. I like the smaller arcs we used to have that you could pick up or drop at any time and not have to abandon the entire zone (or entire leveling process - SL)

2 Likes

I like to do full story quests, then skip around on a few alts. But lately I’ve found redoing the story faster as it gives better goals rather than ToF (the bonus objective horrible point to kill ratio kills it for me)

But if I’m going to be dungeon running I always pick ToF, for healers mainly.

If there weren’t interesting stories in the game I doubt I’d have many alts

First time i level i dont mind going slow. After the first character all xp should just be increased for alts. I wanna go fast.

If I’m leveling thru an expansion the first time I take it at a very chill pace so I can read everything.

So hm. With your idea I feel like I’d be in the minority

I enjoy more world and slower leveling.
If I had it my way, players would still be leveling their last level or two when entering the first raid.
Besides a nice ability at last level, gear is what’s really needed for progression.

Love the journey, I just find WoW’s main plot really goofy. I usually skip everything. Some of the side quests have been good but most are just different stories on why they need me, a mighty champion of Azeroth, to collect flowers or wolf pelts.

Some people love WoW lore, I’m not shaming them.