Would you enjoy Preach's WoW?

I like Preach (always feel the need to clarify this), but he sort of did, at least on point 1 & 2. Ion asked him a question on if he thought it’d be good if every top end player had the same exact setup, talents, gear, etc and Preach’s response was something to the effect of “I don’t see how that’s avoidable” and further talked about how he in Legion he competed with another raider in another guild about how they competed with each other because they were basically the same character trying to be the better player at mashing their keys. He likes that aspect of the game, albeit he understands that not everyone is going to go down that path.

His point acknowledges that at a certain level of progression/involvement in the game you’re informed/good enough to know that trinket X and Y are best, these soulbinds are best, this covenant is best, etc and to be the best I have to do all that. That’s never been avoidable, it doesn’t matter how simple or complicated the game has been or will be in the future.

He obviously doesn’t want a game where we don’t have gear, talents, racials, etc though or wants to push this on the rest of the playerbase, he just doesn’t want the game to make it difficult for him to optimize his character. To that extent the OP is exaggerating his argument.

1 Like

Which is a perfectly viable method of argument to highlight the inherent absurdities in the opposing argument. If it is merely a difference of degree, it isn’t fallacious.

That’s how MMOs work, though.

1 Like

Not arguing for him, just acknowledging his point.

1 Like

I’m saying it seems like you have an idea of the level of differentiation you’d enjoy, and that it isn’t “infinity.”

You’re making the mistake of assuming I accept the premise that my subjective enjoyment needs to be justified. Also you’re going around demanding other people justify their subjective enjoyment while failing to see that’s what you’re basing your own opinion on as well.

Players might not agree with everything he says, like myself, but this is such a ridiculous post. That’s not what he wants either so stop twisting the narrative so much.

1 Like

And I am saying you are wrong.

The rules are about to change, in favor of differentiation and away from normalization, however minuscule a movement it will be. What people are demanding is that Blizzard revert this change.

I don’t think their arguments are very good. Neither are yours, for that matter - they aren’t even really arguments in favor of hot swappable covenants. You’ve picked a team and are cheering the team. You aren’t crafting (or refuting) arguments.

Strolling by and snorting with derision isn’t an argument. Yet you engaged in the thread. So, yeah. Whatever.

The covenants don’t really differentiate things any more than azerite traits, essences, or corruptions did. It’s the same borrowed power stuff, they’re just making it more tedious to switch around when you want to try out new things.

No. I already played that type of game, it was called Everquest. Whole game catered to people who spent way too much time in a videogame. Casual players were always second class citizens and got table scraps. Game never reached its full potential because of this.

2 Likes

Unless you’ve got some kind of magic brain that’s different than every other human on earth, yeah - you’ve got an “enough.” Please don’t be ridiculous just so you can fight people.

Still operating on that false premise. I don’t have to justify it, just like you don’t have to justify “I would like more.” Your problem is just that you think you can refute other people’s subjective enjoyment with your own slightly different preferences.

I’ll have you know that I’m not strolling anywhere. I’m sitting in a chair right now, thank you very much.

Even if they made covenants switchable, you’d have to quest with them to get the ability. Making them truly hot swappable means a new talent row and people swapping per encounter. I don’t think swapping abilities by encounter is that good. All it means is you can use outside resources to pick whatever you think is optimal with no downsides; and it should be both more costly and difficult to do.

That seems to be the direction they are moving, too.

Has anyone at Blizzard said what they would do for players if they nerf a covenant? are they just gonna be like “Tough luck you shoulda known we were gonna nerf your covenant loser”

What do they say when they nerf a class or spec?

Back in the day they gave you a free respec if they changed your talent tree.

The vast majority aren’t going to flip around everything between encounters. And the people who are that determined will keep doing that by having a dozen different alts to have everything covered. Making covenants more annoying to switch between doesn’t benefit anyone.

When they markedly changed the talents, yes - but slight balance nerfs no.

I expect they’ll treat covenants the same, but I also don’t expect them to entirely rework them such that you need a reset, and anyway that “reset” would just be the same process to attune to another one.

It increases replayability, such that it either drags out the time to gain renown with each covenant in series or people level alts to see each. I suspect they think that benefits them (as in, Blizzard).

But one could just as easily apply that argument to specs locked behind classes or required leveling to access the full toolkit of a class.

Those systems already work that way, so it isn’t that strange that these new systems do, too.

Since that is 99.9% of what I play there would be no WoW.

:cookie:

1 Like

So did class halls, and you didn’t have any sort of cooldown when switching between characters.

Right. But I can switch to BM, then go back to MM without needing to grind anything. Or maybe I want to try out being a Paladin, in which case I can still switch back to being a Hunter at any time.

1 Like

Oh, so like WoD, where there really wasn’t anything to do BUT raid log.

Gotcha. No thanks.

Oh but it does.

Everything that affects top end raiders affects all of us in the end. Making it so the only thing he has to do in game is log in to raid basically means there isn’t anything in the game worthwhile to do for the rest of us.

Particularly one that measures success by how long you log in.

A different talk. You’re talking about content. You can have all the casual content you want. But there is a reason why someone that does mythic raiding shouldn’t have to do LFR because it doesn’t make sense. I enjoy a lot of content outside of raids, and I’m not agaisn’t it if it doesn’t ask more of a mythic raider than a casual. With renown they seem to go that way by weekly capping it, it’s kinda like a weekly cap ap system.

The point here that I made, is that it’s normal that the finish line 2 people looks about the same. But if you ain’t racing, it doesn’t matter. Yes it can have some trickle down effect, and even covenants will have trickle down effect. You can’t just “win” vs min/maxing. That’s the hideous thing about covenants is that min/maxers can just make 4 extra characters, so this penalyze more the casual min/maxers that won’t have the time for this.

If you’re talking about gear rewards, the rewards are there for you to get them too. Nobody is stopping you from pushing content only you. And you will still feel the same even with covenants.