[WotLK] Race/Faction change

We are few weeks before Wrath launch still no official response from Blizzard.

We’re potentially a few weeks from the XP event, but it’s likely not going to be prepatch for at least another month - maybe even two.

Wrath launch will likely be in 3-4 months.

Wrath probably Aug/Sept.
Would be surprised if any later.

hopefully there’s some new information this week

I hope they allow race/faction changes. It feels like a capricious change that nobody was asking for, and all it does it hurt people who were looking forward to it.

5 Likes

Bumperino.

Cornholio.

blizzards gonna make you people buy the boost instead of implement race change cause thats just who they are

I think what Brian was trying to say, and this seems to be born out by the Development Pillars, all praise be to the Pillars, is that you’re going to be so tight in these new socialization and interaction dynamics, that every one is going to know every one on sight and by name.

You don’t think you’re going to love this, but you will.

Regardless, as Brian pointed out, it would be very jarring to the community, for you to be a Tauren one day and a gnome the next. You get out of this new, more sociable, more interactive, and more equitable community what you put into it; and we all want to be part of positive change, even if it demands personal sacrifice.

As for name changes, that’s an unchangeable “No.” Do you want toxicity and loot ninjas? Because, that’s how you get toxicity and loot ninjas.

As a point note, gender change was added free of charge in retail to the barber shop (and I believe implementing here) primarily because of transgender and body dismorphia issues and the avenues that online games provide to express that “true appearance” in a non-invasive way. And yet, this same mindset doesn’t seem to extend to race changes.

Faction changes are a gameplay (or playing with friends) type of thing, and thus should incur a cost. However, race changes within the faction have the same logic as gender changes for many people.

4 Likes

Yep, thats really obvious. They were forced to add Gender Changes to the Barber Shop to push their 2022 agenda due to all the Gender Equality talk we have going on nowadays. Brian himself has the LGBTQIA+ on his Twitter bio but I guess we cant get Race Changes.

What if 6 months ago I identified myself as a Orc Warlock and now I want to identify myself as a Blood Elf? Is Blizzard turning racist/bigot by not allowing me to identify myself as a different Race?

3 Likes

As a side note, to Elorael’s point note, does anyone know the current carbon footprint of the Classic servers? Are we carbon neutral, yet? Green isn’t just for orcs and hair.

Hmm, I cannot actually tell if this post is being sarcastic or not, but, man do those “development pillars” sound like something straight out of the big corpo culture playbook. Lots of fluff and patting on the back while jerking people around.

Hey, if they could “fix” faction imbalance, they would have done so with retail, and I would be all for it. But restricting faction/race change is literally going to do nothing but just make some people who were waiting for it really sad and angry that the feature is being removed to meet a capricious company goal. I’m irritated that the development team is just going to experiment on us by removing key features from the game that literally nobody asked to be removed.

“We don’t understand what made Classic good inherently, so we’re going to make up corporate speak and attempt to match that corporate speak blindly”

1. Absolutely
  2. I say yes - but understand the concerns for faction balance and wouldn’t be totally upset if it wasn’t included.
  3. N/A
1 Like

I’d love for both to be implemented because I have a 61 NE Priest on another server that I played at the start of Classic, and I have a new guild and server for my BE Pally that I’m leveling now. I’d love to be able to move my Priest over here, make it BE, and play both. I see no reason why a race/faction change can’t be implemented to let people do those sorts of things. Most of us just want to play with our friends without having to relevel.

Faction balance is already out of wack and not having race/faction change isn’t going to help that. It would, however let people play where and with whom they want.

1 Like

It was in the game before and the majority of people (just looking at the forums) had in mind that the race change would be there. I’ll speak for myself here, I have thousands of hours on my mage, I have Atiesh, all reputation, rank 14, gladiator title + mount and hundreds of items accumulated over the years. I don’t want to lose all my progress, it’s as simple as that. I am in the 1%, yes I play for the logs yes I play in a top tier guild and yes I want to have the option of being able to change race to be optimal. When you say that you don’t see any major problems to hold a meeting on the changes mentioned, it means that once again you are not listening to your community, 99.9% of the vocal people are for the race change, 90% of the people are for the LFG.

2 Likes

100% should have services in WoTLK Classic that were available during any part of original Wrath. No one knows for sure
. But I feel confident that they will offer paid race and faction changes at some point in Classic WoTLK. The community almost unanimously wants it in the game (check any public poll on the topic) and most people I talk to about this subject are under the assumption that it is only being left out of the early stage of the expac to allow Blizz to make sure the core gameplay issues are fixed to get the expansion in “working” order to meet their release date deadlines.

• not adding race or faction change options in the game is a ludicrous idea and the “reasoning” Brian B gave for not implementing it for “character identity” reasons seems more of a P.R. Statement. AKA not wanting to throw other dev team members or shareholders under the metaphorical “bus” so that they can have a variable moral reason as opposed to a technical or deadline reason.

• Telling people that they don’t want them to be able to change race or faction is the (Classic) WoW equivalent of telling people in real life that they aren’t allowed to identify as who they want to be or that they don’t think people have a right to change their appearance. Imagine if you told a person in the real world that they aren’t allowed to get surgery to change anything about themselves whether it be something as small as a “nose job” or “breast augmentation” because they HAVE to be happy with the original version of themselves that they were several years ago.

2 Likes

It isn’t equivalent at all and wotlk isn’t Classic WoW.

It’s exactly 100% like that, base on the rethoric blizzard is pushing to us for 2-3 years now. Why do you think they implant the barber shop ??? Exactly for the same reason.

1 Like