[WotLK] Let's talk Dungeon Finder

The game is designed how it’s designed. Players imposing extra restrictions on others joining their groups is just an extra layer of gatekeeping. And it’s not really one that existed so much back in Wrath. But these days with the ridiculous levels of min/maxing it’s far, far worse. Getting to the actual content shouldn’t be such a hassle. It simply creates frustration and resentment, which leads to a toxic playerbase.

8 Likes

I guess what confused me is I thought you were saying the group finder tool reduces accessibility compared to TBCC LFG chat but I think what you’ve been saying is that anything that’s not RDF enables player led gatekeeping compared to RDF.

That’s another discussion entirely, but IMO if you’re trying to evaluate the group finder tool on its own merits, dismissing it simply because it isn’t exactly what you want is hostile toward inspection and analysis of the feature.

1 Like

They dismiss anything that isnt exactly what they want.

You say you would be fine with a rdf tool that has no teleport, no cross realm and no bonus rewards and they get their auto grouping, nope not good enough for them.

They dont want the auto grouping just to not be “gatekept”, the gatekeeping excuse is there simply because they arent getting exactly what they want. Cross realm, lazy no travelz twleports, extra rewards, instant gratification.

Evidence of not having RDF improving social interation…on a recent stream of beta, the streamer opened the LFG tool and there was 1 tank, 1 healer, and 3 dps all listed for the same dungeon but none were in a group. If only there was a tool that could have put them together…they obviously weren’t interested in the social fabric of the game lol

7 Likes

Waiting at the fountain for gatekeepers to reject your alt because it has one green item, is not engaging content.

Flying at 10,000 ft so you can’t see anyone on the ground and they can’t see you is not engaging content. And if they remove the cross-realm aspect, they can even remove the teleport, making it required anyway.

Engaging content is being able to leave Dalaran and continue playing the game while ‘waiting in the queue’. Being able to fish or herb. Being able to grind some rep, or complete some achievements.

Removing RDF reduces your activity options, not increases them, while waiting for a dungeon.

No, that’s one of the big reasons why the Random in Random Dungeon Finder is what everyone wants. If you’re evaluating the merits of any other tool, the lack of independent adjudication is the biggest flaw and hole in this alternate tool.

9 Likes

I would be OK with this to a degree fine if face one they only wanna do level 70 dungeons that would be OK with me but anything after that I want all of a 80 dungeons and heroic on.

Heroics are way too important to the game play progression not to have them in the LFG tool.

Yeah that’s kind of funny because if you look how we play the game game now and look how people play the game and retail there’s really no difference.

1 Like

No it’s not an excuse it’s exactly what happens Speaking from somebody That played back then I can tell you it happened quite a bit especially when gear score gets thrown in the mix.

Combined with the achievement Spam you’re going to see people asking for at least 4K Gear score for 10 naxx and 3k for Heroics and you know how I know that we’re seeing it already.

I can’t get into a za or kaera pug Because they say I’m not geared enough they want at least tier 5 And mind you I’m a tank People don’t want an actual challenge they want to be able to just crush the content and get through it as fast as possible.

And before you say maybe you don’t I have never been in a pug Where people have not said Summon in the 1st or 2 sentences or I’m at the stone or I’m flying over.

To the point where people Have borderlined pulled for me because I was drinking And also borderline Demanded I use menopots Instead of drinking yeah.

2 Likes

There is always jerks and idiots in every online game.

If the reason for wanting rdf was purely to stop the gatekeeping your side wouldnt have a peoblem with no bonus rewards, no teleport, and no cross realm.

But the “gatekeeping” isnt really why you want rdf now is it?

Weird it’s almost like there can be multiple reasons why people want LFD. Gatekeeping is certainly one of them, cross realm is also necessary for it to be able to function properly as it requires a large population pool.

At the end of the day people want LFD so they can consistently get groups. It’s really not hard to understand.

8 Likes

not having the Cross-realm for problem servers is the deal breaker, the other two IMO are not as big as a deal. (without that RFD does not help the problem I need it to solve).

1 Like

OK it’s the lack of those things in the current LFD tool that makes it so awful and why there’s so much gatekeeping to begin with if you’re automatically teleported to a dungeon.

This takes away travel time And it’s less convenient Is to kick somebody even if there is sub optimal DPS and do the heroic.

Then to waste the time kick the DPS and find another one when you know you can just plow through it anyway If this gives your enhancement shaman’s, Assassination Rogues, And any other dps that doesn’t have a good AOE more of a chance to be brought in because let’s be honest single target damage is not going to be relevant.

It being cross realm helps you find more people to group with so people on low pop realms or dead realms and yes they are consolidating them but here’s a question what really honestly makes you think that when wrath comes out there’s not me more people coming back to the game.

And there is going to be a period of resurgence and people leaving and it’s going to be the same thing with TBC unless blizzard does something major with the servers.

And let’s be honest they’re not going to As far as the Extra rewards go well it’s very simple A player that is over geared Doesn’t really have a reason to run that heroic 3rd less inclined to leave if at least they have the extra badges.

Is so in short All those things make gatekeeping less of a problem

The teleport thing is dumb anyway after so far in the expansion everyone’s flying to the instance, oooh the worlds alive (if you look up)…

6 Likes

Yup 100% agree there will be some people before they hit 77 They’ll be on ground mounts then but after that yeah everybody’s gonna be flying.

2 Likes

It’s just a waste of time, which is bad design. A well designed mmo relies on players enjoying the content, not making a tedious hassle to get to the content.

6 Likes

I don’t think that’s been in blizzard’s vocabulary for a while now.

3 Likes

Yeah agreed people Put way too much value on the traveling to the dungeon I mean sure it mattered a lot more in classic when you didn’t have flying months but like it or not.

And this is a problem I have with blizzard’s cough cough pillars It feels like they’re trying to make wrath into classic and the 2 games work very differently and they have different appeals.

5 Likes

No no no, clearly walking uphill both ways through the snow is the only way to enjoy content.

7 Likes

Lol Yes because clearly people won’t get on their flying mounts after they hit 80 and just fly to the dungeon anyway clearly people love running through the same zone 800 times plus.

1 Like

Honestly, I’m a little torn. Having played since classic up to current retail - I can see both sides of the argument.

It is nice to just run a quick dungeon. Its fast to get into a dungeon. Getting better gear is SIGNIFICANTLY easier because it’s easier to get a group. Oh, my goodness I hate the spamming in LFG chat. Basically, doesn’t exist in retail now.

But the downside is that you end up running a lot of quick dungeons with random people - so that basically ends up killing the community idea. Secondly, what a lot of wasted effort on the devs part. When you end up leveling all through dungeons - you miss the leveling zones basically.

I kind of like the current LFG in TBC - downside - not enough people on a single server to make it very viable. A good blend would be what we have with TBC but cross server or current LFM from retail. So instead of just getting the people in one server - you could play with people from different servers as well. It would help alleviate the ghost land/megaserver problem a little. I mean why not just mimic current retail of LFM (dungeon w/ roles - we do this for mythic + just fine).

Might I just say - thank you Blizzard. I have really enjoyed playing this game over the last 14+ years. I’m enjoying going through it again - and honestly when you go back in time - hopefully people can recognize all the quality-of-life changes that have been put into the game and I must say good job. There are things I don’t like but for the most part I really love the game and I am glad to be able to continue to play it, and play it over. Could use a few of those quality-of-life improvements in the classic realm - like the AH and extension on buff timers.

1 Like