World of Warcraft the Movie

I have only four words regarding this movie and please keep in mind that this is coming from a 60 year old.

IT WAS F***ING AWESOME!

Sorry about the “bleeped” language but a simple “it was awesome” even if it was all capitalized would not have expressed (in my opinion) how fantastic I found Warcraft to be. I do agree with people who have say they wish another Warcraft movie was made (will be made?). It would be nice to see that before I get too old and start pushing up daisies. I don’t necessarily agree that they should have started with Arthas though. I believe they started Warcraft exactly where they needed to, with the first invasion of Orcs to Azeroth.

Too many lore changes for me to like. I was hoping for just a retelling of Warcraft 1 with real actors essentially.

Someone else brought that up not much later if you had kept reading, and I agreed with them that a trilogy would have been best. That is more or less what I meant to begin with but admittedly didn’t clarify.

The movie bombed hard in every region outside of China, so they canned any plans to do sequels.

It’s 100% worth the watch as a WoW fan. The Orcs absolutely steal the show though.

2 Likes

I actually enjoyed the movie. My (late) wife came across it on TV one day, and after that we would watch it every now and then. There was an aerial scene (gryphon ride?) to Stormwind, and after watching the movie, she liked to just fly around the city and take in the sights.

I know the movie isn’t 100% true to lore and can have some hokey moments, but it’s still fun to watch. Oh, and RAGNAR!!!

Didn’t like it. Too many lore changes to soften the image of the Horde. Couldn’t even destroy Stormwind as a finale to the movie.

I personally enjoyed it a lot. I know plenty of people here hated it but that is expected since they hate WoW yet keep playing.

I loved seeing Dalaran and seeing the sheep spell along with the murloc gargle among many other things. I thought the view of the land really looked awesome and the horde buildings looked like the game. Gul’dan was pretty awesome to see as well. Overall though, I liked it a lot and still watch it here and there.

I showed it to some family and friends who don’t know anything about the game yet still liked the movie.

I just wish though they did the Arthas story and becoming the Lich King as imo that is the best story and see Jaina etc. I assume they were hoping to make more as how it ended but I had a feeling they would only end up making 1 so that is why I wish they went for the best story first then go from there.

2 Likes

There were quite a few fun little easter eggs! As you mentioned: the murloc and the sheep spell. Kilrogg Deadeye makes a quick appearance, theres a harvester golem, the SW mailboxes are spot on…I see something new with each viewing!

2 Likes

Oh, I agree totally! And really wanted the Arthas storyline. The movie itself was accessible to anyone who played or didn’t. My husband who doesn’t know much about mmorpgs really liked it as a stand alone movie. Most video game movies suck imo. This one didn’t. - … and there will always be naysayers.

Exactly - so funny that polymorph of the sheep brief scene/shot!

2 Likes

It sure was a movie.

I don’t think they changed enough to make it appeal to the average film-goer, and it’s a bit of a shame, because I went into it thinking that it had the potential to maybe, just maybe fill the high fantasy film vacancy left in the wake of The Hobbit Trilogy (especially with how weird that one ended), and had they done so, I think we could have had some awesome follow-up films. Like there was no way in hell that it was going to be a good one-to-one ratio with events of the game, but some things were a bit…not great.

Some of the characters just kind of felt very dry. Like when King Wrynn died I had an uncle lean in and go “…wait were we supposed to care about that guy?” Medihv was also there.

Khadgar though. Loved Khadgar. Easily the best part of the film.

It was okay. Not the worst movie I’ve ever seen. I thought the CGI was pretty good idk why it gets hate over that.

better actors would of done wonders i didn’t mind it but didn’t love it either spend some money if you want something great blizz .

For sure! I didn’t notice the SW Mailboxes. That is awesome! But yeah, loved all the easter eggs. Need to watch it again now to look for more :smiley:

I think it took itself too seriously, the whole movie looked like most of the production team wasn’t convinced in its seriousness as well, but they still persisted and the whole thing looked silly. The plot was too convoluted, they tried to do an epic. But it didn’t have the cultural capital for that. For the most people Warcraft is a nerdy game that causes addictions, not a source of a great story.

But it was still cool to see in-game locations realized on the big screen.

I think it could have succeeded if they took itself less seriously and played along cultural perception rather than trying to go against it. Like for example, be a bit of a parody like Your Highness movie. Maybe even cast James Franco/Danny McBride duo, have them fool around through the absurdly epic storyline. Throw some in game memes here and there for the players. Like have them throw a dice for who takes the sword and have them banter over like in game loot drama. Make fun of it

It is actually WarCraft the movie.

Based on the story from WC1 Orcs and Humans.

The only way you will ever get the lore is if you played WC1 Orcs and Humans and also read the little booklet that came with it.

And Thrall also did not exist in that timeline until they retconned him in.

So there was a quite a bit that does not fit in right.

If it were more accurate to the lore than it would have had to have been well over 3 hours long.

WC1 Orcs & Humans is a huge story. Ogres and brigands (rogues) had a way bigger part.

Thrall didnt even come in until WC3 and the High Elves did not come in until WC2. But the Blakchand vs Llayne happened in WC1.

So they kinda mixed all 3 original RTS WC games. But it is WarCraft, not World of Warcraft.

I really liked the movie. They stuck to the lore a lot sometimes and other times they went against it.

1 Like

Have you seen the Warcraft move?

2 Likes

I think the movie could have been much better with a more experienced director. I also feel they chose the wrong story to start with. The first movie should have been the Rise of Arthas and the Scourge. That is the most famous part of Azeroth’s history and would have lent to more expansion later. The “zombies” alone would have put butts in the seats.

What we got was fanboy drivel that did the entire franchise a disservice.

1 Like

In general I like this movie. I’d love a sequel; I was hoping the China hype would have greenlit one by now but alas. It was a very good Orc movie mixed with an OK-at-best Human fantasy movie.