World of Warcraft the Movie

I want to see Hemet running from zandalari worshippers of hakkar.

All they have to do is pick fan favourite zones and build off of them, instead they picked the most basic crap and said “lets make it about orcs and humans”

An Arthas movie should have been what they started with, tbh. That’s not to say that anything which happened before wasn’t interesting, because there was indeed plenty of important and fascinating events prior. But Arthas, his rise and his fall from grace is arguably the most iconic story in the franchise.

I wish I could use the sword and shield from the promo on the Horde (or use the guldan staff on Alliance), but otherwise have no opinion.

That’s a lie, Thrall getting the Moses treatment was objectively funny.

That sword is amazing. My rogue and DH would make great use of it…if they were allowed to have access to it.

1 Like

Terrible. It created this idea that magic was forbidden in horde’s Mak’goras - news flash: They aren’t. The director got permission to literally rewrite the lore entirely so Thrall got accused of cheating in his Mak’gora when Thrall actually USED magic in the first Mak’gora with Garrosh that had to be stopped.

Disagree, Arthas has too much lore to fit in 2 hours screen time. You’d have to do a trilogy like lord of the rings to cover it all.

2 Likes

It would probably have to be a trilogy to be good, yeah. I was just saying that if they were going to start a movie franchise, he would have been a great choice. I don’t think they would have had much of a problem selling it if it was planned to be a trilogy.

No.

Stormwind was supposed to have been sacked.

They also pushed Gul’dans treacherous nature too early.

It’s not a World of Warcraft movie. It’s a Warcraft movie.

I enjoyed it. I enjoyed many parts of it.

I can see why a lot of people would not like it though. Was it a masterpiece or some deep thought provoking movie? No. But it’s better than a lot of the Marvel movies. Especially the Fox Marvel movies.

I don’t understand some of the complaints here… either…

Like this one… When has Gul’dan ever not been treacherous? You wanted some big character ark that showed why he is the way he is? There’s a book for that. It’s a single movie. They had to start somewhere.

I think it deserved at least a sequel/prequel/other story.

I agree with this, but would have felt it shoehorned in the Orc race in that storyline since it’s barely a part of what Arthas goes through. And I think people wanted to see Orcs.

It wasn’t so bad, but they tried to cram way too many events and characters the same time, world felt rushed and small because of it

It would have been better if they’d started with Arthas or even some Burning Legion stuff. You could tell they were trying to launch a franchise, but in doing so they failed to deliver a compelling narrative. The story was all over the place.

Hate CGI in general, but really didn’t like the way the armour was superimposed digitally on the actors. The CGI is decent by current standards, but it’s not going to age well. In five years or so it’s going to look Babylon 5 level clumsy.

I get that with monster hunter. Altho its more like

“Oh have you seen the movie?”
“Unfortunately…”

…this was not a WoW movie.
It was a Warcraft film.

Yes, there is a difference.

I don’t even have to look at the rest of the topic. The mere suggestion that it was a “WoW film” has likely stirred up the portion of the fanbase that insist they should have started with Wrath and honestly believe they could have packed such a lore dense expansion into a 2-3 hour film without issues (never mind the fact that just jumping right into that expansion of all things would have been utterly incomprehensible to the average viewer)

And I’m sure the folks that believe it should have been WC3 (specifically the Arthas portion of it, are you sensing a theme?) are also out in force.

EDIT: Yep, skimmed the topic. Not surprised.

See the original portion of my post. Warcraft in general is VERY lore dense, but good luck explaining to these people why starting with either WC3/Wrath over an origin/retelling of the start of the First War would have been a far worse idea.

Ok…didn’t NOT expect to see that from you further into the thread. Hell, I’m actually having trouble making sense of that as I feel both messages contradict one another.

I mean, in one post you’re talking about how they condense a ton of story into a two hour film and imply it was one reason why it flopped. Then you turn around and say “Yeah, they should have started with Arthas!”

Mind you, this is the guy that NEEDS his own trilogy to properly tell his story.

1 Like

It’s an okay movie to me becoz I am a WarCraft fan and I am a WarCraft player. I dont think my wife and daughter appreciated it becoz they are not WarCraft gamers like me.

I remember I watched this on our local theater. People were cheering for me when they saw me. Becoz I was wearing an Alliance Shirt. ROFL. For the Alliance!!!

I did this as well.

Did it follow the lore 100%? No. I still enjoyed it for what it is and I really wish there would be a sequel. Honestly with how it ended, I thought there would be a follow-up with Thrall. I guess not?

1 Like

I wanted to see a character of diabolical intelligence, not one that is reduced to cartoon villain level of smarts just to rush the go, go go aspects of the movie.

Like the whole Thrall baby thing, Orcs skin naturally flaked to green after the deal with the Legion was made it wasn’t Guldan handing out power ups all the time and when they did it was more to age or enhance youths into warriors for more troops for the oncoming invasion.

I don’t think we even saw a whiff of the Dark Counsel either. They omitted a lot of details just to make it a pointless action movie.

Oh and they screwed up Thralls origins too, his parents were killed by assassins, not put on public display to make Guldan look evil or distrustful.

This!! I wanna use Gul’dan’s staff something awful on this warlock.

1 Like

I thought it was pretty good. Not the best movie, but not the worst either.

Id like to see more.

only thing worthwhile come from that movie was the promo weapons for logging in when that movie released

gul dans staff and lion weapons

Honest Trailers summed up the movie pretty well…

Was it bad? Nah, but it wasn’t good either. It was mediocre for what it tried to achieve.

Honestly, how much there is with Warcraft lore, good and bad, it is far to grande for a simple film be it live action or animated. It would fair much more freedom and success as a series that allows much more development around characters and the environment.

Pretty good imo. I wish there were others made.