World of Warcraft - Midnight

Bruh, mana is mana. You can’t say for certain that the arcan’dor wouldn’t be able to undo a Blood Elf’s dependency from the Sunwell.

I think Void Elves will be present and certainly play a role - but front and center? That’s difficult to envision.

2 Likes

Consider just how differently a lack or excess of mana affected the two elves.

When Blood Elves overindulged, they become the Wretched. When they underindulged, nothing happened other than withdrawal symptoms.

When the Nightborne overindulged, nothing happened. When they underindulged, they became the Withered.

Clearly we’re looking at two very different sets of variables here. The Arcan’dor was tailored to the Nightborne specifically. If it’s fruit could have helped the Blood Elves, then why wouldn’t the Blood Elves already be receiving shipments of it from Suramar? Why would the Void Elves have still been looking for alternatives to the Sunwell, if one was within easy reach?

5 Likes

7 Likes

Consider just how differently a lack or excess of mana affected the two elves.

When Blood Elves overindulged, they become the Withered. When they underindulged, nothing happened other than withdrawal symptoms.

When the Nightborne overindulged, nothing happened. When they underindulged, they became the Wretched.

This. The addiction the Blood Elves and Nightborne respectively suffered from is entirely and completely different.

9 Likes

To be honest I really think what they meant by “elf unification” is just about High/Blood/Void elves… they are the same individuals with different approaches to magic.
They are basically the 3 dwarven clan.

5 Likes

Indeed. I won’t put it past Blizzard to just suddenly have the Arcan’dor work for anyone and everyone addicted to magic, but that is not how it was originally presented to us.

Also, I messed up on the names and fixed it in my original post. Nightborned Withered, Blood Elves (and High Elves) go Wretched.

3 Likes

Indeed. I won’t put it past Blizzard to just suddenly have the Arcan’dor work for anyone and everyone addicted to magic, but that is not how it was originally presented to us.

Likewise, but I’m gonna give them some benefit of the doubt.

The Arcan’dor essentially undid the Nightborne’s dependency on the Nightwell and rebalanced the aspects of arcane and life energy within them. They’re reverted to a pre-Nightwell, pre-dependency state.

Underindulged? I’m talking about being cut off entirely. Yours is a very different description of what I was led to believe happened to Blood Elves cut off from the Sunwell.

Over time the elves grew ill, and the youngest and oldest among them died. Determined to find a cure for his people’s crippling addiction, Prince Kael’thas sought a renewed source of arcane power, and he soon fell into the service of the demon Illidan Stormrage.

3 Likes

Thalassians cut off from the Sunwell suffered painful magical withdrawal symptoms. This proved fatal to the very young and very old, much as they do IRL with non-magical drug withdrawal. However, the Blood/High Elves did not become Wretched unless they absorbed too much mana. There’s a lodge in the Hinterlands which canonically went cold turkey on magic, and never became Wretched.

If they do bring in Kith’ix (seems reasonable) I hope they canonize my theory that he was the unknown “darkest loa” who Malacrass bound inside himself in the ZA instance.

I expect the four zones (it’s always 4 zones nowadays) to be Eversong, Ghostlands, Zul’Aman, and Quel’Danas. But they won’t the BC ones reused, but rather new ones made from scratch to modern size and graphics. Sort of like how Draenor in WoD clearly had basis in Outland’s zones but weren’t just edited from Outland.

5 Likes

Your initial description of what happens to a High/Blood Elf cut off from the Sunwell has changed just a smidge from where you began.

Yes, nothing other than painful and potentially fatal withdrawal symptoms, and a crippling lethargy. No big deal! A handful of largely irrelevant NPCs managed made it work, so why can’t the Blood Elves?

So, picture this: you’ve just been cut off from your source of power that is also your livelihood and your homeland is being invaded by a cosmic force known to corrupt life, invade your mind and induce insanity…that really isn’t an opportune time to be hit with withdrawal symptoms, and that certainly doesn’t leave you in a position to defend your homeland.

1 Like

Gee, it’s almost like kicking the void experts out might’ve been a bad decision in retrospect or something.

That’s another reason I’m really not looking forward to Midnight. The Blood Elves were absolutely right to kick out Umbric and his cultists. This is just going to wind up as, “Wow, the Blood Elves were wrong. Again. And kicked out the people who were right all along. AGAIN.”

3 Likes

What the hell are the “elven tribes”, especially in regards to Quel’thelas?

You got like Blood Elves, void elves, night elves, high elves, nightborne, half elves, and the mutant varieties.

I was scratching my head at that phrasing, as well.

I’m going to assume it has to do with the schism of Blood Elves, High Elves, and Void Elves. The lines between factions is primed to be blurred entirely, so it tracks that these groups could be set for reconciliation in their mutual defense of Quel’thalas.

4 Likes

I wonder if any Felblood Elves remnants would be involved in Midnight. Either joining their fellow elves in defending Quel’Thalas or them siding with the Void in their quest for power.

5 Likes

Definitely think they’d join the Belves if the manari quest line is to be carried on.

Plus, if the Velves are able to side with azeroth, why wouldn’t Fel blood elves do so? Especially since the legion has been pacified for now?

I have to be honest, I’m really not well versed with the Felblood Elves. How many of them after even still around after the events of Burning Crusade (expansion)?

No idea, but I also thought that the Druids of the Flame were done after Cataclysm and then they resurfaced in Dragonflight.

3 Likes

Im sure its more like a temporary alliance not a new Kingdom.

I don’t see the Night Elves really fitting in to the story just because they are elves and I hope Blizz doesn’t try to shoe horn them in. The Nightborne make sense because the marriage between Lor’themar and Thalyssra.

Im betting its the Void Elves fault the Well is in danger. Its kinda been set up with Alleria’s visit to the sunwell causing void minions to manifest and the exile of the void elves because the same danger. They come to help because they feel responsible.

You know what?

I really hope the Scryers get serious screentime for this. I want Voren’thal to show up. I want him and Rommath to be on the same wavelength. Like, they don’t even talk to one another. They just glimpse the battlefield from opposite ends and immediately know what the other is planning and how to support them, or ways to improve it, and any intervention made by the other in this way is instantly understood and reciprocated.

This expansion needs to be Rommath’s time to shine as Grand Magister, and having at least one other Blood Elf who is highly effective at working with him feels like a necessity towards that.

6 Likes