World of Warcraft: Dragonflight Talent Preview - Priest

Could we please get something a bit more substantial on this than ‘Heres a preliminary draft of a thing for just a single class at a time, come back next month and hope we give you more info’ when you are taking pre-orders?

I’m less concerned due to it not having an original talent design as I find outside of tree inspiration there is very little in common with the talent trees of old.
However I would prefer to see it earlier rather than later due to the nature of only having 2 specs, as well as like you said a fairly limited selection of class skills in general.

I can’t really see how it will pan out with the class tree, unlike other classes I can’t see it not essentially filling out the entire tree unless there are just a ton of new class skills/passives added.

Yeah, still going to be a huge sticking point to a bunch of players.
I’m still not going to make gross whisper macros that spam Priests to PI them, so I guess I’ll just continue to not compete with those who do :man_shrugging:

I’ll preface my opinion with this: I have never played Spriest seriously. I don’t know how things implicant subtleties of the spec or things to that nature.

With that said.

I’m absolutely loving the Old God Idol talents, and it’s making me want to get a Priest up to 60.

Y’Sharaarj’s seems a little convoluted. But the others, although not necessarily rotation changing, seem like they’re going to pack a ton of flavor and visual aid. I want to make an Idol of C’Thun & Void Aspirations SPriest and just flood the screen with Void goodness.

Still boggles the mind that Blizzard removed DI, PI and FM because they didn’t like the social ramifications of abilities like them, but then brought them back?

Like it’s good that they’re making the PI legendary a talent (and not so deep from PI it feels like a waste to invest them), but that still has the issue of cooldowns needing to line up. It’s not gunna feel great as a raiding priest to say “hey, delay your cooldowns until the demo lock/fire mage/whatever is OP uses theirs”, and it’s gunna happen.

If Blizzard really wanna give Priests offensive utility, just make it so Fort gives Versatility instead of Stamina.

And playing a spec which is tuned around PI being applied at the perfect time does not feel great whatsoever if you aren’t the one getting PI’s, or their timing being off. In Sanctum, I’d constantly get PI’s way too late in Frenzy (or even out of Frenzy) and it just feels like a complete waste.

2 Likes

Yeah absolutely, personally I think they should flip it. Make PI as baseline self cast only, and then have the talent upgrade provide reduced benefit to the group/raid.

Probably like 5% haste to the other 4 players in your group.
It still makes it somewhat restrictive (but WF already is so that’s clearly not an issue for Blizzard), but still allows other players a benefit, but not overwhelming to the point where it’s restrictive on the Priest’s use or hugely skews a players performance which can cause issues between raid/group members.

1 Like

Still loving the hell out of Disc., after a second, third, and fourth glance. Very glad to be a Disc. main.

Shadow spec Tree needs to be tightened up. Vampiric Touch has a number of bonus spec options…so WHY are they separated by the Psychic Voice/Mind Bomb option?

Also, all of the Shadowy Apparition oriented abilities look SO sweet…but for them to be so deep in the tree, they are WAY too separated.

Void Apparitions, Living Shadow (MUST HAVE!!), Eidolic Intuition, and Idol of Yogg-Saron are all last tier abilities…and it’s weird. I really feel that the full Void Eruption branch should be moved to the last tier, and Void Apparitions should be attached to the Shadowy Apparition branch directly.

Eidolic Intuition doesn’t really strike me as ‘last tier material’, and it should be moved to the mid tier, along with the Psychic Voice/Mind Bomb option.

I have to hand it to you Blizzard: Shadow spec has WAY more customization than I was expecting. I see more than a few fun builds where I don’t even have to play the standard Void Eruption → Madness combo anymore, and that is exciting. Just tighten the tree up. Worse comes to worst, bite the bullet and combine a few matching passives.

Yes! I need more armies of spooky ghosts! Every time I do this in Stormwind on target dummies everyone nearby comments how cool it looks and I just love that.

1 Like

Flash Concentration should definitely be included in some form. I get that the current implementation may be a bit too strong, but some of the mechanic should definitely be retained.

There should be a talent choice for strong single target, and a reason to use Heal.

1 Like

I am 100% on board with this priest talent system. Just read the whole dang thing and not one word stuck out to me as wrong. Whoever mocked this up knows priest real good.

I posted in the CC forum, but just to echo my biggest concern here:

Where is Mass Resurrection? :sweat_smile:

It’s not in the baseline spells or the Holy/Discpline trees. I’m slightly worried. I don’t think anyone wants to go back to having to res every raid member one by one.

Other things to note:

Holy Priest’s only magic dispel is now Mass Dispel. All healers were given magic dispels so encounters could be better designed, why was this changed?

Luminous Barrier not making a comeback saddens me.

There’s a few “dead” talents - such as Inner Light and Dark and the Holy Nova doing 10% more damage while shielded talents. Hopefully they get adjusted.

I would rather offer personalized care. These one size fits all medical programs are hurting everyone!!

Also, it may be a hint that they are taking some of the feedback about the long raid walk backs. If they moved the dang spawn points in, mass res is a very easy cull.

1 Like

My initial feedback here…

I will post the important bits here…

General / Shadow Spec concerns…

• Quick fight encounters
    Shadow is very weak when it comes to on demand damage outside of a Voidform Cooldown.
  • PvP / movement
    Situations where the more you move or get Crowd Control chained, the less affective you are as very weak when it comes to movement (no blink, teleport, charge, root, immunity etc.)
  • Damage Reduction / Prevention
    As a Priest, (but especially Shadow) generally we have very little when it comes to preventing damage (immunity) Reducing damage (Damage reduction) and Mobility (Avoiding damage).
    Instead we rely on self healing and offensive tools (Silence, Psychic scream, Psychic Horror or Damage Reduction/Healing cooldown that incapacitates us etc.) as a means to prevent taking damage. So anything that we do that results in anyone coming up and smacking us in the face, we quickly fall to the wayside.
  • Voidform / Insanity Drain
    Once again, any movement or CC against us severely cripples any momentum you need in order to actually do anything or to be a threat (In Voidform and get silenced and watch your 2 min CD go to waste because it will knock you out before you can cast again and fight an uphill battle to do anything).
  • AoE
    Proper AoE abilities that don’t fight/conflict with our dotting ramp up. In the past, prior to us having Mind Sear, we basically didn’t have any means to AoE. We then got Mind Sear and it worked great for a while, until balancing came into play and it quickly got nerfed down. Now it struggles to be good but not too good. Its not supposed to be better then Mind Flay for single target yet it needs to be better then just multi dotting 4-5+ mobs.

Talent Concerns…

• New WoW 10.0 Shadow Talent Layout
    I see several things that I just don’t like that are requiring to progress further and make no sense.
    Examples like…
    • Shadow Crash & Void Torrent needed to progress further down to the last section of the tree.
    • Void Touched talent needing to be picked up to progress the tree that only affects Voidbolt but getting the ability to use Voidbolt can be missed altogether.
    • Insidious Ire actually able to be picked yet nothing is branching down to it. This is fine mechanically, but it it not intuitive to know this until you finally have 20 points already picked.
    • The Old Gods Choice Talents. Without really testing them, things like… Idol of Y’Shaarj is just to cryptic to understand what that actually means and how it can fit into your talent build.

Goals to work towards fixing

• New WoW 10.0 Shadow Talent Layout
    • Shadow Crash & Void Torrent are now optional and no longer required to progress.
    • Void Touched talent is moved to only being able to be picked up after you have locked in the ability to use Voidbolt.
    • Insidious Ire moved to be connected to a path.
    • The Old Gods Choice Talents. Moved all 4 into 1 talent that is only an option after you are able to have Voidform. These talents will ONLY proc while during Voidform and only 1 can proc at a time.

New Abilities from past incarnations of Shadow.

• Pain and Suffering
    Shadow Word: Death Damage increased by 250% to targets at or below 20% health. Reduces the damage you take from your own Shadow Word: Death by 30% & you instantly gain 20% of your total mana.
  • Mind Melt
    Increases your Mind spells critically strike chance by 3/6/9%.
  • Paralysis
    When you critically hit with your Mind Blast, you cause the target to be unable to move for 4 sec.
  • Clarity of Power (Took out the instant Mind blast because we get procs that grant this)
    Your Mind Spike, Mind Sear, and Shadow Word: Death deal 40% additional damage to targets not affected by your Shadow Word: Pain or Vampiric Touch. Also reduces the cooldown on Mind Blast by 3 sec.
  • Mind Spike
    Blasts the target with Shadowfrost damage, but extinguishes your Shadow damage-over-time effects from the target in the process.
    Mind Spike also increases the critical strike chance of your next Mind Blast on the target by 30%. Stacks up to 3 times.
  • Surge of Darkness
    Your Devouring Plague and Vampiric Touch have a 10% chance to make your next Mind Spike instant, deal 50% more damage, and not consume your damage-over-time effects. Up to 3 charges.
  • Shadow Power
    Increases the critical damage of your Shadow spells by 10/20%.
  • Dark Archangel
    Increases the damage done by your non-periodic Shadow damage abilities by 20%. Lasts for 18 sec. 90 sec cooldown.

This is my Cata Variant of Shadow for 10.0 Talent revamp…

This is my WoD Variant of Shadow for 10.0 Talent revamp…

Conclusion:

Priests in general are a punching bag. We have little escapes and easy to shut down. So don’t tie in our gameplay to suffer at this weakness and become unplayable. Specially Shadow cant heal unless it casts, which then can be interrupted, which then locks us out of anything we can do (Because we no longer have basic Holy school healing spells like in the past WHY? We are a priest! put those in the CLASS tree… Prayer of Healing for group heals and Flash heal be it baseline or talent).

If we can cast, Shadow Priests heal via leeching from damage. But most of our damage comes in the form of hard casting thus rooting us and making us vulnerable to CC and getting shut down. If we run, we cant do anything. We have very little ways of escaping.

Why is Spectral Guise not an option!!!? STOP with this Void crap. Lets get back to shadow roots PLEASE!

• Spectral Guise
    Your shadow blurs into the darkness, leaving your true form behind. As a shadow you are stealthed, but remain in combat. Lasts 6 sec or until your true form is hit by 3 direct attacks.

We simply do not have the toolkit needed to support all these while and crazy void ability ideas when it comes to anything but long not moving fights. If your going to keep this Void theme nonsense, then PLEASE allow the option of the OLDER shadow lore.

Discipline is a balance between Holy and Shadow, its Shadow is OLD shadow lore. Has nothing to do with Void and Old gods! Why all the sudden when you go full shadow, its NOTHING but Void and Old Gods!? I am sick of it! Give me an option to play with the theme and style before you ruined Shadow with the ungodly void them from Legion and onwards.

See below for how I approached this new talent system before todays release (lots of similar ideas to the one released today)…

My take on the Shadow Tree

My take on the Class tree

1 Like

Purify is automatically learned by Holy and Disc Priests.

Developer Note: Purify is currently a talent on the Discipline tree, but will be moved to be a baseline Discipline ability at a later time. A talent will be moved to its current position to keep the overall tree structure intact.

Holy Priest Baseline Abilities

Purify: Dispels harmful effects on the target, removing all Magic effects. Combines with Purify Disease if known.

1 Like

…how did I miss that. I even used the Find in Page function searching Dispel and Purify. Weird. :confused:

Thanks. One concern gone. :slight_smile: Mass Res is still worrisome though. I’m hoping it was just an oversight in not including it in the baseline stuff. Lol.

Where are the Developers notes? Can you provide link?

Why are classic abilities like Prayer of healing and Purify not CLASS abilities? An on demand group heal and a magic dispel? Those are not “Priest” Abilities?

It’s literally in the OP.

Regarding the Old God Talents…

Why does this just seem like its a Void / Old God flavor of borrowed power procs?
You have no control over what’s happenings… thing will just happen. Boring and not engaging.

Current 10.0 Priest Talent Old God abilities…

• Idol of N’Zoth
    Damage dealt by Shadow word: Pain, Vampiric Touch, and Devouring Plague has a 20% chance to apply Echoing Void. Each time Echoing Void is applied, it has a chance to collapse, dealing Shadow damage to all nearby enemies untill no stacks remain.
  • Idol of Y’Shaarj
    Shadowfiend causes you to gain a benefit based on your targets current emotional state.
  • Idol of C’Thun
    Mind Flay and Mind Sear have a chance to spawn a Void Tendril or Void Lasher that channels at your target for 15 sec, generating 3 insanity every 1 sec.
  • Idol of Yogg-Saron
    After conjuring 50 Shadowy Apparitions, you summon a Thing from Beyond that serves you for 20 sec. The Thing from Beyond blasts enemies for Shadow damage.

Instead, here is my idea of how to make these familiar to the priest and give us the choice on how and when these are used…

My take on the Old God abilities and how they might work…

• Whispers of the Old Ones
    While Voidform is active, Your Mind abilities have a chance (chance equals current Insanity level) to obtain an Old Gods gift. You will be empowered by a random Old God, receiving their gift. This effect lasts for 10 sec or until consumed. You can only have a single Whispers of the Old Ones buff active at any one time.

• Whisper of C’Thun, your next Mind Flay becomes empowered, increasing damage and insanity generated by 300% and horrifying your target.
    • Whisper of Yogg-Saron, your Mind Control becomes empowered, becoming instant cast and usable on any type of creature. Your Mind Controlled target has its damage and haste increased by 300% for 5 sec. This effect does not cause you to loose control of your character.
    • Echo of Y’Shaarj, your Mind Sear becomes empowered for 10 sec. Increasing damage and insanity generation by 100%. This effect pulses 200% faster.
    • Whisper of N’Zoth, your next Mind Blast becomes empowered, dealing 300% more damage and is replicated on 2 additional nearby targets.

These can be made to proc randomly as I have indicated, or they can proc via the spell your using… so for example, you can be spamming Mind Flay and if this procs, it will be the Mind Flay Version. Or it can proc and it will only empower 1 of any of your empowered abilities or maybe you have 1-4 charges. Anyway you want.

1 Like

It being weak before doesn’t mean it will be weak now. They could easily have it buffed into reasonable standards. Having to be clicked was a mechanical weakness of the spell. Weak heals is just a number weakness which can be fixed.

Here’s to hoping it gets a good buff to it.

Here’s hoping they stop development on it and work on something not DOA like Lightwell.

Why are some of you so stuck on this. It hasn’t been like this since like WotLK. Lightwell up to Legion before its removal was stick janky crap.

1 Like

And your complaint is literally just numbers, why so angry?