World of Warcraft, 20 years later, is STILL the best game the world has ever seen

Guys its 2024.

Yet, here we are enjoying the hell out of a game designed 20 years ago in an outdated world.

This speaks volumes to what a masterpiece the team created.

Newer MMOs STILL can’t even come close to beating wow in terms of staying power.

Guys, I know there is a lot to complain about, but please take a moment to stare at your computer screen in awe next time you login.

I’m literally in tears right now.

16 Likes

I’ve done this upon several occasions, But I wouldn’t cry over it.

1 Like

It’s pretty damn good but BF1942 is still the best.

I feel like it is because of the things people consider mistakes. Like imbalance(faction,class,spec,prof), horrendous travel time, annoying quests, many endless grinds for minor payoff, gear and resource competition.

2 Likes

World of Warcraft is based on Everquest.

Just saying.

When you think about the history of video games, they are fairy recent inventions.

I would posit vanilla wow (Era) is probably one of the best games ever made, if not the best game.

I would not be surprised if in the future Era has more active players than vanilla (or wotlk) ever did at their peak.

Blizzard just needs to master Era season (without changes, on 2 year cycle) and market it to new audiences. The game is super enjoyable and welcoming to new players.

3 Likes

Best game for casual fishing too, hands down. :wink:

1 Like

This reminds me of D&D. Many of us play a version from 1981 (Basic/Expert) not one of the later or current editions, because B/X is a classic masterpiece.

5 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment if we’re talking about Era. I prefer other games to all other iterations of WoW.

So, yes, very grateful to be able to experience Era nearly 20 years later!

1 Like

Yeah just a way way way better version with better graphics

When do we get a second season? Fresh please

Yep, if we’re talking 60 WoW, there are very, very few MMOs that can be mentioned in the same breath with it. Classic isn’t just a name.

1 Like

The fact that combat is so smooth, the world beautifully designed, and journey promotes community - it may be the best MMO ever made.

It is a bit sad how cartoony retail has become in comparison, 20 years of work and the art only became worse.

2 Likes

Season of discovery has been out for a while

You said it so Beautifully! Its a Fun Game to play, and a great place to Leave your Frustrations behind and become the Hero you dreamed of becoming.

1 Like

Orcanica of Time was a dope fishing game

As was the original, Oregon Trail. I still have the fishing sound in my head to this day. :slight_smile:

You should check out John Staats The World of Warcraft Diary.

Idk why they don’t do seasonal fresh servers with free xfers at the end of the season.

Feels like a no-brainer to keep Era going.

People say, “WoW is 20 years old.”

True, but…

…WoW has more development time put into it over those 20 years than any game ever made.

There’s been big milestones that’ve reshaped the way the game is played, including Dragonflight.

The best argument I’ve heard against Modern WoW vs. Classic is Modern feels like an ARPG instead of an MMO. You play in instances and chase a far more rigorous loot grind compared to the original game.