World of Warcraft®: The War Within™ Goes Live August 26!

Hey like, I hate to be a downer, but you all said at Blizzcon that the expansion would be released Fall 2024. August is not Fall - Fall begins September 21. At a minimum, I’d accept Sept 1 as counting for “Fall”

Some of us planned vacations based around the stated fact of a Fall release. I’m now going to be gone during release, that I paid early for the epic edition, based on the statement of a Fall release.

August 26 isn’t Fall. How about Sept 26?

3 Likes

I don’t hide my gameplay so it’s not hard to see if I do or not, you should try it.

I guarantee a lot of the bugs being found currently (by myself included) will be fixed by launch. You actually think Alpha has the volume of invites to find a lot of the bugs that are being found now? Simple statistics refutes you silly statement. Go level from 70-80 on the beta or sit down hero.

Please don’t encourage “crunch” time. It’s terrible on the people.

2 Likes

Curious where the pre-patch is going to fit in though.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s is a good question. Normally prepatch is about a month. They might shorten it or it might just be the same length and run during the last month of remix.

Why is the dwarf crying, though?

Unless you guys are being forced to throw by your new MS overlords, theres no way this is stable by August

2 Likes

uhm that date is more towards the fall. at best its the last weeks of summer…

Times change.

Again, from the moment we got the 2024 Roadmap for World of Warcraft we knew that the War Within was releasing in late Summer.

And no, no one planned vacations around the Fall release, don’t lie. How can you possibly ‘plan a vacation’ for something when you don’t even know the month it’s coming out, much less the weeks or days.

No boss that I know of would approve vacations for an entire season, or even a month. They’d demand to know exactly what days you want off.

Now that we have a release date we’ll see people start to plan vacations, because people can tell their bosses: “Yeah so I need time off from the 26th of August to the 5th of September.”

Good luck and have fun. Can’t use dragonriding and refuse to try to walk on maps designed for flight, again, so I will not be joining you for this or any future expansions that do not allow “Steady Flight” at exactly the same time and level of effort as “Skyriding”.

1 Like

I think you misunderstand me. I planned a yearly vacation (in this case a trip out of town) that has some wiggle room to be pre-Fall (Sept 21). Since Blizzcon 2023 explicitly said “Fall 2024”, I felt safe booking this trip for the end of August.

The roadmap doesn’t mean anything so firm, if anything TWW there is right on the line. If an official panel says Fall 2024, which it did, and in the image it’s right on the line, to me that says alright, probably right at the last couple weeks of September, maybe it’s coming on like Sept 21 on the dot give or take a few days.

Saying it’s coming Fall 2024 and then launching nearly a month prior Fall is just dishonest.

2 Likes

Taking it with a grain of salt since I haven’t been in the zones myself, but from what I’ve heard, every zone has all their important areas completely accessible to ground travel, so you should be able to level your first character “every expansion before Dragonflight” style without issue.

Nope not fun first two weeks heroics dungeon can be queued you have hob take a group or apply to one like m0 or m+ and also comes with a weekly lockout good luck if you aren’t playing a FOTM class

Huh?

Dragonflight launched with just about everything in the world having some bugs, or being in a broken state. Feasts took several iterations of fixes after going Live, and were causing Azure Span to be unplayable. It wasn’t until the minor patch that they received some sort of overhaul. Hunts were broken. Phasing was broken. Several quests launched with bugs that caused them to be uncompletable. We still have the Climbing quests that get glitched on various shards, because that never got fixed properly through the whole of Dragonflight. Bugs like DF World Bosses not correctly giving credit on kills are literally still ongoing, and have been persistent since DF launch.

Dragonflight also ended up launching with several classes and specs not even received a single pass through Beta on their talent trees, and needing to receive the overhaul and design they should have received prior to Launch in the 0.5 and 10.1 patches. That itself also caused further issues of course. Hell, my Unholy DK still has the bug where I have Defile even though I haven’t talented it, which is a bug they introduced at the start of the expansion.

Crafting orders went live in an unfinished state, they had to put in the ability to make orders for mats after the expansion launched, fix and provide behaviour to ensure you had more control over the quality of mats that would get used, and the UI for it is still unfinished which is why we don’t have basic things like the ability to make multiple orders in one go for Trade Goods/Parts. Many elements of the newly “reworked” Blizzard UI are still missing basic functionality like the ability to resize them (which incidentally still isn’t available in the current Beta). A lot of them didn’t even have options or the ability to reposition them with the Dragonflight expansion launch.

There’s plenty more I haven’t gone into, because it’s not necessary to make the point.
What sort of low-standards historical revisionism are we trying to pull here?

1 Like

None.

When I played Dragonflight I had an extremely smooth experience, and when I did encounter bugs, it was -after- Blizzard rolled out changes or a hotfix for something else 90% of the time.

Which, sadly, is part and parcel of game development. You fix or adjust one thing, and it breaks something else. Then you have to try to fix the new thing that broke, but you need to make sure that it doesn’t bust another thing that might be more important (which is why some bugs take a long time to fix, because Blizzard is trying to fix it without busting something else).

Compared to previous releases however, Dragonflight’s launch was smooth.

Legion for example was very rough at launch, especially since their newly added scaling system didn’t function properly and made the entire experience abysmal. Warlords of Draenor for example, had bugs with the Garrison where you couldn’t even zone into it (the famous “Transfer Arborted: Instance not Found.” bug) and if you were playing Warlords of Draenor at launch, you’d know that it was so critical for the expansion that not being able to access it made the entire expansion unplayable.

Game launches have gotten smoother over time. The bugs that are present are, at best, minor, not game breaking to the point where you can’t play the game. Hell, even the Azure Span bug that hit the game only hit AFTER Blizzard added the Fyrakk Incursions, which caused zone wide lag as people swarmed in to complete the content there, but that same lag wasn’t present in Ohn’ahran Plains when Fyrakk’s incursion was in that zone instead.

By my reckoning, this is the first xpac trailer made with less than 30 seconds of newly rendered content. By comparison, the original vanilla trailer was 3 minutes long and made with tech from 14 years ago.

This was a cost saving “clips show”.

Given the advances in CGI tools, this seems exceptionally low effort. Is their budget and staff cut so close to the bone that they can’t even afford to do proper cinematics anymore?

There is no story being told here that couldn’t be contained in a single quest text box.

looking at their key art…thats exactly whats going on. low effort content for low effort cost.

Please consider adding an option to transfer Remix characters to retail beginning 3 weeks before release (obviously this is a transfer which cannot be undone).

Then there would be an option to outfit them for TWW start if someone wants to continue on a Remix character as main.

Otherwise there would be only a few days left between Remix end and TWW start, and Remix chars could not participate properly in the prepatch events.

Please… no more high schoolers. Lol