Worgen Heritage Armor Story could have been Better

didnt you hear, they will be giving you a choice to have no exposed bones so your armor wont be torn up

That’s no what Genn says in Before the Storm though. It’s apparently both desolate and blighted and occupied by Forsaken.

And I think the Heritage Quest also implies it’s still up for grabs? Or at least not in the Alliance’s hands?

I wonder if the current writing team will ever do something with Gilneas or just continue to get farther and farther away from Warcraft after Shadowlands.

At long last. Cloth robes, plate and even a lot of leather can look good on Forsaken males but Mail? The Season 2 PVP / Darkshore armor was so far the only set that looks solid on em.

We’ll have so many more options now. Pants! Sleeves! A chest and cloak option that doesn’t have bones jutting out of them! The skies the limit!

1 Like

have fun with your untorn armor

3 Likes

Worgen can’t be unique humans with pride, normal humans are boring since they were abonded a long time ago. The world of humans don’t seems to be cool, heh?

I remember during TBC I thought Silvermoon was the most beautiful part of the game. Flash ahead a decade, and I’m walking through there during the Nightborne unlock quest after spending an expansion in Suramar. The comparison was…not a kind one.

I’m not sure about what Genn is talking about in Before the Storm because in game, during Cataclysm, we see Gilneas isn’t a blighted mess in the Silverpine Quest line which takes place after the Worgen starting zone. And then in the level 85 Rogue artifact quest we see a black Dragon and his cult taking up residence in Gilneas City. So Gilneas clearly isn’t THAT blighted.

With that, and based in Varian’s comment in MoP it sounds like Gilneas is kind of just there, the Alliance might have control over it but because of the Horde presence in the area around Gilneas they might not want to put civilians back in Gilneas.

This might change considering the Alliance won Arathi, and the Forsaken were pushed out of Lordaeron.

The Forsaken weren’t pushed out of Lordaeron. From last we heard, places like Alterac and Andorhal, plus places across Hillsbrad and Silverpine, are still in Horde/Forsaken hands.

Loosing Arathi doesn’t mean the Horde got forced from Lordaeron, it doesn’t even mean they got forced from Arathi, since in the Alliance-version of Arathi Hammerfall is still functioning and in Horde hands.

We also see Forsaken meet up with Calia in Tirisfal at the Bulwark, which is also still in Forsaken hands post-war, in the most recent patch.

2 Likes

The city is so ugly now it makes me want to cry. Belves are maybe my 4th favorite race but I hate how I can’t even get a good screen shot of my Belf Lock around Belf looking stuff because he looks so much better than the background.

The Belf Child model has been in game for awhile now - but they have a Belf child running around Silvermoon that is a horrifying shrunk model of an adult belf. Instead of cute little girl playing with a toy it comes off like a fever dream.

I’ll be the first to argue that graphics don’t make the game. But when you’ve graphics from different decades trying to exist in harmony you just get a deep uncanny valley effect.

Classic WoW looks better than Silvermoon as at least all the art assets work together. In SM it’s just unnerving. I find it creepier than any Scourge structure.

3 Likes

My bad, I meant Lordaeron as in their main capital in Undercity which was the closest thing to Gilneas as far as being a clear threat.

Without the Forsaken having a big presence in Tirisfall and Silverpine, I think we could see the Alliance move to reclaim Gilneas permanently and resettling. Especially now that we are looking at peace talks and everything, there really is no reason not to resettle Gilneas.

Then again, this is Blizzard and they hate the Worgen and don’t give a crap about them so they most likely will leave Gilneas a wasteland.

Fair enough, fair enough.

Honestly I think the Forsaken should move to like Andorhal or even Stratholme to give the worgen room to reclaim Gilneas.

4 Likes

i think you would have to update them but i dont see why not

1 Like

Agreed, I’d love to see the Forsaken move to Stratholme and get that as their new capital while the Worgen reclaim Gilneas.

2 Likes

I’d be 200% down for a Strathome remade with Forsaken architecture. While I did love the Undercity - it was a Scourge fortess we conquered. It didnt have that unique Forsaken feel we started getting in Wrath.

I’d also love it for more buildings in that style. They’re jam packed with little nuggets of Forsaken world building. There’s Forsaken versions of Grant Wood paintings in some of them. I get the joke, that painting is called American Gothic so here’s Forsaken Gothic but I am now wondering if the Forsaken have a Social Realist painter. A Norman Skullwell if you will. Also interestingly the only structures with beds are the manors. Is this implying sleep, or at least comfortable sleep, is a luxury only Forsaken of wealth and power enjoy?

I just adore little stuff like that and would drool over the opportunity to inspect every little detail of a city rebuilt in the Forsaken’s image.

1 Like

stratholme is the dungeon correct?

1 Like

Yes. There are two versions. The culling of Stratholme and then the version with all undead and fire.

i think its big enough to be a capital, but again it will have to be updated a bit.

1 Like

Absolutely so it’s one of those doubt that’ll happen hopes.

Gee imagine a better version of Battle for Azeroth that actually focused on resolving the Cata conflicts?

Maybe the Worgen seize Gilneas and Silverpine but the Forsaken consolidate their power in the Plaguelands. Then the Hinterlands and Hillsbrad turn into desperate war zones as the Forsaken try to sure up supply lines to their holdings and the Alliance try to secure southern Lordaeron.

You could also do crazy stuff with Kalimdor. Maybe the Horde obliterating the Alliance bases in the Southern Barens creates that War of Thorns Scenario and then Teldrassil’s destruction- while still cruel - would feel less jarring. Then the Battle of Lordaeron could be both a warfront and a raid like Dazar’Alor. So the exciting climax to a war between super powers could come at the end instead of the beginning.

And then Windrunner could come off like a mastermind for orchestrating all this death instead of a weird person with bad plans that fall apart because the centuries old ranger general and queen of the undead has a teenager’s temper.

Sigh

5 Likes

The alliance help reclaim it shortly before the Forsaken side of the plot in Silverpine begins. From there, Darius and his forces (the Gilnean Liberation front) push into Silverpine in an attempt to create a sphere of influence. A buffer zone if you wish. Sylvanas has Godfrey risen and then has him (and his goons) kidnap Lorna. Who is then used as a bargaining chip against Darius. The deal is, Darius and the Gilnean liberation front will leave Silverpine and stay in Gilneas. In return, Lorna will not be turned into an undead. Darius agrees and Sylvanas lets Lorna go. Ivar Bloodfang is angry at this, so he still fights the good fight independently.

Which would explain how dragon cult rogues sneak through in the dagger chain for Wrathion to kill Lord Creed exists.

You can notice that when you look at the Cata lore only, the forsaken vs Gilneas conflict is set similar to the Korean War. The forsaken (backed by the horde) lets a blitzkrieg style attack on Gilneas. This makes the Forsaken North Korea and Gilneas South Korea (horde = USSR in this). After Gilneas joins the Alliance, Gilnean troops still in Gilneas get reinforcements from the Alliance (NATO). From here the alliance pushes the Forsaken out of Gilneas and deep into Silverpine Forest. However, reinforcements from Sylvanas and her Val’kyr (so China in this) help the forsaken forces repel the alliances advance and pushes them back into Gilneas. Unfortunately for Sylvanas, more alliance reinforcements arrive so she makes the decision to bring back Lord Godfrey and his minions in an attempt to create an armistice. Which the terms of said armistice I have said earlier.

However at the end of SoO, we learn that no-one has control over it and it got blighted to hell. Which never happens on screen as the finale of Gilneas is destroying the forsaken blight machines via a horde gun ship. And when the horde are able to make a second attempt, they get overrun by more alliance forces. Which horde players see while flying their way back to Sylvanas with Godfrey.

So we now have schrodinger’s Gilneas simply because blizzard needed to milk more drama from this, as seen in Legion and BFA between Genn and Sylvanas.

I do like the contrast between Forsaken and Gilnean architecture. One is based on more modern gothic elements. While the other is based on the Gothic themes in Victorian England. The gothic Victorian England themes matches well with Gilneas and their history with the Worgen Curse.

7 Likes

One of the biggest issues with Blizzard’s writing, IMO, is the lack of resolution for stories that they start. Part of it is not wanting to go back and revamp old zones, but the other part is that (similar to the Tyrande’s vengeance thing) they are wholly content with really unsatisfying conclusions, or just moving on from stories they’re not exactly wild about. It leaves a lot to be desired.

I did a rewrite of the WoW canon/narrative sequencing, from Vanilla till the current stuff with some heavy rewrites included, and one of the biggest changes I suggested was a complete shift in how the Siege of the Undercity/Wrath Gate/Fall of Gilneas happened.

Gilneas would be invaded earlier (during BC), and then during WoTLK, when the Wrath Gate incident occurs, we get the siege of the Undercity with Varian and Genn at the helm, and not Anduin. It would be through this siege that the Forsaken lose the Undercity completely, and eventually resettle in the eastern sections of Lordearon, allowing the Worgen to take back Gilneas.

if you care to look at that proposed revision at all: