Worgen Heritage Armor Story could have been Better

I mean the Armor set looks good but… Its no where near as Good or Better as Genn’s Armor Set from Heroes of the Storm or pretty much his Trench Coat overall.

I mean the Armor Set could have been Better in terms of the longer Trench Coat with Silver Plate or just Gold that isn’t Blight.

But my main problem with the Worgen Heritage Armor Story is the Story about it. Its Terrible. Its just a Dream about Genn’s Daughter learning about the worgen curse and then that’s it. She never turns into a Worgen and retakes Gilneas, Gilneas is never retaken, nothing.

I’m honestly disappointed how Blizzard really treats the Alliance Players with such disrespect in terms of the actually good development and well etc. I mean I wanted the Worgen to have their lands back so that Gilneas can be Alliance Controlled again. To this day Gilneas still remains as a Ghostland Zone with all of that Amazing British Grim Dark Gothic Art wasted. Such a shame.

13 Likes

She actively spurns both the idea of the curse being part of the Gilnean identity and the idea of retaking Gilneas. This isn’t helped by the fact that, starting with the anniversary event and the NPC that gives the heritage armor quest, the Gilnean crest has been replaced with the Stormwind lion on the Gilnean flag.

21 Likes

I’m sorry, what?

1 Like

I uninstalled the PTR for disc space, so here it is in Nobbel’s video of the quest. Ignore the thumbnail, it’ll play from the right timestamp.

Alternatively, just fly through the Caverns of Time and look at the racial flags.

2 Likes

This is the part that really gets to me. Not only is the heritage armor itself a bland disappointment, but the lore behind getting it pretty much stomps worgen identity into the mud. I’ve always preferred the focus to be the worgen’s Gilnean heritage, but this is too much. Ironically, there’s no balance to it. The whole thing is just a dream for Tess to come to the conclusion that being a worgen sucks and it has nothing to do with who the Gilneans truly are. WTF? Who came up with this? Between this and the lore that worgen can’t reproduce naturally (a baby born to two worgen will be their base species without the curse), I get the feeling that Blizz isn’t fond of the worgen at all.

20 Likes

Gosh, wow. With Blizz being 5+ years late on any update to their model, entirely ignoring the plight of them having absolutely no claim to their own home, and then burning down the only refuge they’ve ever had, trashing their lore and story through numerous plot threads, and also stealing away any chance of ‘revenge’ or ‘justice’ for Gilneas, I’m truly shocked that anyone would ever subscribe to the thinking that Blizzard wasn’t fond of the Worgen.

dead stare into the camera

In all seriousness though, I really don’t understand how we’re all getting surprised at these revelations. Blizzard hasn’t cared about a lot of stuff for a long time now. E.G. legit sensible narrative progression for either faction, Night Elves, Forsaken, Horde getting villain batted, Alliance being the punching bag forever, etc etc.

25 Likes

Wow. That’s so bad lmfao.

Worgens = humans in fursuits confirmed

10 Likes

Basically. Blizzard has decided that Worgen are just Anduin bootlickers now. We are no different than Stormwind Humans other than the fact that we can turn into a werewolf.

It sucks. They have completely taken away the Gilnean identity and aesthetic which is wrong because it was infinitely better than the boring Stormwind aesthetic.

13 Likes

The flag thing is really going to bother my obsessiveness. It’s almost in opposition to the quest’s message that there’s more to being Gilnean than being worgen. Gilnean identity should be an inherent part of playable worgen just as Forsaken identity should be an inherent part of playable undead.

For me, the Gilnean population being a mix of humans and worgen is more interesting because it adds variety when Blizzard often tends to simplify and streamline things. But at the same time, there should definitely be at least some Gilnean humans that now make the decision to become worgen (especially as it’s not inherited). This quest could have been an opportunity to show that or expand on Gilnean identity/culture but it seems like a missed opportunity for both.

28 Likes

you know what? i am not even mad anymore.
this is blizzard being blizzard, screw it. there is no point for me to be angry.

At least i can remove those horrible shoulders on the heritage armor so i can actually use it… RIGHT?

And the questline itself… haha, we recover gilneas and kill nathanos IN A DREAM :joy:

ohoho no that is not the best part, the best part is that who is going to be the future of our race decides that the our heritage
is NOT being a WORGEN.

Yay! racial pride! awooooooo.
:japanese_goblin:

8 Likes

Yeah, the Worgen questline is really … awful. The Heritage Armor is uninspired, the questline actively has Tess shirking the Worgen Curse and having the Worgen reclaim Gilneas in a dream. I mean, the least they could do is have Lorna accept the curse if Tess will never do it right?!

Its … super weird to me that as a Horde player I’m apathetic as hell, but damned did I get the royal treatment in BfA as a Gob player; while Worgen got shafted.

• The Horde Mechagon intro questline has some of the best Goblin content we’ve had since our Cata intro. Everything GobSquad is great! Even the Wix content was fun!
  • We got the Goblin with the most history and lore with the Horde as our Racial Leader, while Gallywix still survives and is fine to continue to do what he does best.
  • The heritage questline is small scale sure, but the entire content is about freeing Grapplehammer and his inventions from Wix, to fully join under Lowe; while Sassy returns to show she’s already made that shift in allegiance.
  • The remodels are a bit lazy in certain parts, but they are just so much more expressive than their prior iterations; for what should be an extremely expressive race.
  • Hell, even the Kelfin and Unshackled were well done; and should they become customization options in Shadowlands for Gobs … which means their people, NPC accessory races, and reps are joining the Horde for future stories … WOW!

Blizz, whatever intern you have writing the Goblins in BfA … give them a bigger role in your main writing team. They clearly retain some vestige of the creativity, passion, and respect for Racial Fantasies that is needed everywhere else in this game!

15 Likes

Tess doesnt say anything about spurning the retaking of their kingdom. She just says gilneans are gilnean regardless of the curse

9 Likes

Leaked footage of worgen players telling blizz that they should change the heritage just a little before patch goes live.

austin powers is the players and the guard is blizzard, the steamrolller is patch 8.3 before going live.

5 Likes

Exactly! I love that not every Gilnean is a Worgen, it’s makes our race unique in that way. But even though Gilnean humans are, well Humans, they are still different from the Stormwind Humans because aesthetically, culturally, and overall the Gilneans are different from Stormwind Humans.

This is why the Worgen Heritage Quest and the flag… Are horrible and upsetting. It’s like Blizzard decided to just say screw the Gilneans being unique they will just be a subsection of Stormwind Humans now.

Like if Blizzard never wants us to reclaim Gilneas, that’s fine, but then they need to add a section to Stormwind that is built around the Gilnean themes and aesthetic and let their remaining people live there. Give us some kind of identity back!

16 Likes

Gilneas has to be in the weirdest position lore wise. At first I thought it ended in a stalemate- Windrunner gets the Gilneans to stand down and retreat but as that’s at Greymane’s Wall I thought it meant get out of Lordaeron.

This would also explain the Battle for Gilneas BG. The war’s technically over but it’s a flashpoint where the Forsaken and Worgen will battle forever. The Werewolf VS Vampire thing has sold as a concept in a lot of places and that’s our settings best rough approximation of it.

But then I learn, depending seemingly on who you ask, it was either conquered by the Forsaken (which was news to me, that’s never once suggested from the Undead perspective- you leave to secure Hillsbrad immediately) or so thoroughly destroyed by Cataclysm and conflict that it’s functionally abandoned.

It’s simultaneously conquered, still being fought over and destroyed.

9 Likes

It also was briefly controlled by a crazy dragon cult in Cata despite allegedly being left uninhabitable by the blight

It’s absurd how little the writing team cares about Gilneas and the Worgen, specially considering how much screentime Genn has gotten these last two expansions.

10 Likes

The curse of BfA strikes again.

Don’t worry though, you can sit at the table with us and the gnomes for races that got shafted. We’ll be getting more members soon!

1 Like

I guess at least we got to be part of the Army of the Black Moon, which was momentarily relevant for a single patch. Woo-hoo?

1 Like

Genn even turned up in the cinematic. Looking more like a friendly husky than a savage prowler of moon lit forests in my opinion but ya know, still there.

Just to give you an idea of how little the Worgen are mentioned- I got a friend back into WoW recently and we’ve been leveling. He rolled a Darkspear so we quested in Kalimdor. After a Korrak’s Revenge match he asked me what the deal with that werewolf class was. I explained it was a race. He’d seen so few Worgen he just assumed it was some new class ability he was unfamiliar with. Never realized they were a whole faction in the Alliance.

4 Likes

Well yeah, they effectively only existed for themselves and Forsaken players, and only at the low levels. Worgen completely stayed out of most of Cataclysm, Mists of Pandaria and Warlords of Draenor. Three expansions in a row without existing, including the one that introduced them.

We got decent enough screentime in Legion, a lil bit now in BfA… but I guess now we’re going to be absorbed by Stormwind. Gilneas is dead, long live Stormwind?

1 Like