Will this Samsung SSD work for what I need in SL?

Yeah you’re running on Haswell iGPU, which is pretty old and isn’t really a gaming application.

I don’t know what your CPU is from that screenshot (if you could tell us it would be good) but presuming its some kind of Haswell, you’ll get an enormous improvement by adding a modest GPU like a $150 1650, which should run off your PCIE slot alone.

So I bought this in 2014 off the shelf at Best Buy. I really only use my computer for the internet, WoW, and occasional software programs like Tableau, and I’m start to try and learn Python. Occasionally some GIS stuff.

I guess my question is, should I dump money into this thing? Or just get a new computer in total?

I mean, it’s hard to say. If all you do is what you’ve listed, you can probably get some more life out of it (presuming it’s an i5 at least) by adding an inexpensive GPU.

If you’ve managed on it this far, you’re probably going to be happy with the SSD and a new GPU.

WoW will feel like a completely different game if you switch to a dedicated GPU.

Is a dedicated GPU something I should try installing myself?

it’s pretty easy, especially if you’re going with a low-powered one like a 1650.

I can’t tell for sure, but it doesn’t look like your PC is a super slim profile, but in either case, something like this would fit in your case almost certainly without needing to upgrade your PSU:

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GeForce-Profile-Graphics-GV-N1656OC-4GL/dp/B087R7V2Q6

Installing is just using software to remove old drivers, plug it in, turn it on, install new drivers.

Possibly need to go into BIOS to enable PCIE graphics.

Also note that Intel 4400 isn’t officially supported anymore in SL; seems you need at least HD 630. Although that’s all arbitrary IMO.

With the cost of the SSD and a new graphics card a new PC may be better but without a price range how much better may be up in the air.

Bestbuy has this on sale atm.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-gaming-desktop-intel-core-i5-9400f-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-super-1tb-hdd-240gb-ssd-black/6400463.p?skuId=6400463&intl=nosplash

Speaking of air, get an air can and blow out that dust! Also something to look into if just upgrading the parts is a larger cpu cooler like a Cooler Master hyper 212 but those 3 things will cost around $250.

Installing them is easy enough. Just watch some YouTube videos on it.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s why I said it’s difficult to say - i mean obviously a new system is better, but if the guy was playing on an old Haswell and iGPU for all this time…maybe just $180 worth of upgrades is enough to keep him enjoying WoW, and it’s already a huge boost to what he’s used to.

That price range is solid. I can work with that. But uh, just one thing…that tower looks like a disco ball. I know this is a dumb request, but I’m approaching 40. Is there anything a bit less…eccentric you think?

Alright lets be real, my lady is going to roast me for months if I buy that thing. It’s why I love her but…you know.

lol well, you can assemble a competent PC to your own tastes.

That said, if you go my route…she’ll NEVER KNOW. :thinking:

fair enough, fair enough. Screw it, I’ll buy the disco ball. I caught hell when she found out the SSD was for WoW and not work. In for a penny; in for a pound.

1 Like

Do you have a microcenter nearby?

This one’s just a liiiiiiitle more expensive, but way stronger.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/624825/powerspec-g228-gaming-computer

i mean you did say in for a penny in for a pound

1 Like

I do! I didn’t know they were a chain. I’ve heard mixed reviews, but I’m up for it. I’ll give it a shot. Thanks again for all of this!

All prebuilts come with caveats. But if its local, they should be able to resolve any issues you have with it.

They have custom BIOS on their motherboards, but i don’t think you’ll have to worry about it that much.

Assembling your own is the better option since you have complete control over everything, but its more hassle and takes a little more time investment.

1 Like

Sorry, one last question here. Will I notice a difference with only the SSD?

Just the load times.

1 Like

And I assume I need this cable to connect the SSD to the motherboard.

Insignia™ - 2’ SATA III Hard Drive Cable - Black

(I can’t link)

Yes if your SSD didn’t come with one.

if you can wait, get one online. Bestbuy has good deals on some things and price matches, but they make profit off cables. They have an in-house brand for this type of thing only so they can sell for a markup.

you can get a 3pack for the same price elsewhere -

1 Like

You can actually gain game performance from going from HDD to SSD - especially in larger open world games.

As you move from one part of the game to the other, since it’s seamless, it loads assets off storage constantly. If storage is too slow, you get a lot of pop-in and potential stutter while transitioning.

I bought PowerSpecs for myself, my son and my brother last black Friday. I went to look at parts, but they were on sale for less than the price of the parts.

They have all been very solid and we’re happy with them.