Will this Samsung SSD work for what I need in SL?

Samsung - T7 500GB External USB 3.2 Gen 2 Portable Solid State Drive with Hardware Encryption - Indigo Blue

Was going to grab this from BestBuy. I have no idea if this is what I need or not. Also, am I just plugging this thing in, and moving WoW over to it?

External is limited to the USB bus (which isn’t always consistent) vs. internal SATA which is faster and better.

Is there a reason you don’t want to get an internal drive?

1 Like

I think the main barrier is not knowing wtf an internal SSD entails. Like, I’m planning a wedding and money is tight. I don’t want to buy a new system.

old video, but same basics.

another one

1 Like

In case you missed it, Blizzard has updated the minimum requirements:

The text of the Systems Specifications for Shadowlands was updated a few minutes ago on our Support Site: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/256565

The minimum requirements section for Storage now reads:
Solid State Drive (SSD)
100GB available space
Or
Hard Disk Drive (HDD)
100GB available space (depending on the performance of the drive, player experience may be impacted on HDD)

It will still be a better experience switching to SSD, but if money is tight, I didn’t want you to think that you have to do it.

It’s just having to justify everything. I can afford it. But if I do something like this I don’t get to say “Do we really need a photography for $2k?” and Iv’e got to pay that off, you know?

As lame as this is, can I just bring this to Best Buy and have them install it? I want someone on the hook for any potential screw ups.

If money is tight then that external SSD is going to cost you $30 more then internal one.

Do you have any buddies who know about PCs? It takes literally a minute to install it.

I saw the videos above. I guess I could go for it. I’m just a little worried I don’t have the discs for Windows 10. I’ll man-up and just figure out how to clone it.

clone what? Are you moving over your entire OS? You could just install the game itself with no need to move anything over.

One of the videos above said you need to get the internal SSD in, and then reload the OS. Is that not the case?

not the case, get the SSD and install it. Wipe WoW (and battlenet if needed) from your old HDD. download WoW (and battlenet if all you play is WoW) to your new SSD.

First of all, thank you. I don’t know why information like this isn’t being put out by Blizz since it’s in their interest to reduce anxiety around these new reqs.

Secondly, I saw that installing the SSD required a few auxiliary things:

1. An open port
  2. some connector cable (I assume this comes with the SSD)
  3. The brackets to fasten it

I’m going to check to make sure I do have an open port today. But is there an SSD you’d recommend?

If you are on a HDD for boot, it’s in your best interest to move your OS to the new SSD anyway

1- most motherboards come with four ports, I doubt you are suing more then two
2 you need a SATA cable and SATA power connector from your power supply.
3 you can probably connect it with a screw to your hard drive cage

For WoW, any SSD will do the job as there is not a major difference with that specific client. Get the largest one you can afford with the best warranty.

For quality of life, I agree 100%. For Thundahstahm? Baby steps first

1 Like

Thanks, Lily. I’ll give it a shot myself then. I’ll order a SATA cable and power cord in addition just to cover me tail.

the power connector should already be on your power supply, no need to order anything

1 Like

So, ok, if not the whole OS, what I’m hearing you guys say is move as much over as I can? I use a whole host of programs of varying sizes. So I should move over things like all other games, the tableau program, ArcGIS, photos?

SSD’s start to lose performance the fuller they are - that doesn’t mean they will stop working or be terrible, but it does go down.

I would only move things you frequently access to SSDs. Like most used games and programs. OS is the single most useful thing to have on your SSD, in my opinion, because it speeds everything up.

You’ll also need to remap your shortcuts to software you move.