Will Old Survival (WoD and earlier) ever come back?

t. I play ranged Survival in BCC because I enjoy crippling myself for a meme

(BC specs don’t even work like that)

Also did you seriously switch to a classic toon when people implied they were muting you?

Survival in BC earned a raid spot by providing Expose Weakness:

Note how it procs off RANGED attacks.

I have to wonder if you didn’t know this and confidently posted something incorrect without checking or if you knew this and tried to lie about it? Because in my experience melee Survival lovers sure love to revise and lie about history all the time to support their views.

1 Like

SV has 2 ranged skills that makes it a pure range spec

lmao

edit: lmao the build takes passive buffs to melee skills and all its actives are cribbed from MM.

And the rotation guide still has a chapter on melee weaving like vanilla SV

1 Like

“SV had one melee DPS talent at the very top of the tree, accessible by all Hunter PvP builds, but this made it a melee spec :D”

Savage Strikes is the only talent in the tree that exclusively buffs melee and it gets taken because there’s nothing in the tier 2 talents worth taking for raids. I take Savage Strikes on my Hunter. It’s helpful if a mob runs up to you and you want to Raptor Strike before getting out of melee range or if you want to squeeze out some extra damage on a mostly stationary fight. BM and MM do this too at times. This doesn’t make SV a melee spec. It still has a ranged weapon and prefers to fight at range most of the time.

It also had Hawk Eye which buffed your range but let’s ignore that I guess :smiley:

I wish it would come back too, reducing the number of physical ranged specs from two and a half to one and a half (BM is more like remote control melee) was an odd decision, even if old survival felt “samey”. Also kinda ironic… somehow the uniqueness argument falls flat when the “solution” is to add yet another melee spec to the mountain-sized pile.

3 Likes

I do not know, nor care about Maizou.

You however, are so completely unhinged it’s absurd. This is stalkery yo.

Unfortunately, you’re the one that’s posting incorrect information here.

Black arrow was indeed good, taken, and used, in WOTLK. It had a chance to proc LNL. Sadly you can’t gaslight me, I actually played WOTLK and it was peak wow for me in raiding and arena.

I have no idea how you are in the council but you most definitely should not be.

:-1:t4:

9 Likes

No. I’m not. If you actually read the guides bepple posts as “proof” they literally back me up. And when someone pointed that out, they got attacked as well. It’s disgusting that you support that, but I’ve come to expect that from you.

Also my entire argument, which you seem to ignore, was that Black Arrow was never a core identity spell for survival. And it wasn’t.

It was used as a way to proc the actual core identity spell. You know, Explosive Shot. And before explosive shot? Survival didn’t really have an identity. In BC it had expose weakness and that’s about it. Hell just look at icys bcc guide. You still have to melee weave if you play survival lol.

If you gave black arrow a priority in wrath? Great for you. It was not suggested in guides to at the time. Even the guides Bepples links states as such. Could it become a priority in wrath classic? Absolutely. We play the game with more knowledge now than a decade ago.

This is no different than if you said serpent Sting nowadays is a priority for marksman. You are more than welcome to think that, but if you check wowhead, icy, etc they will very much tell you most things take priority over it.

I also love that Bepples doesn’t seem to understand what a priority list is, as he says icy doesn’t list one when they quite literally number the priority list.

Also, I’m just outright putting anyone on ignore who say things like “Why are you on the community council?” etc. Not just directed at me, but at anyone in the CC.

Newsflash, people were invited for varied views. You don’t agree with my views? Good. That’s your right. Stop attacking me for them like Bepples is doing. And don’t you dare say he didn’t because he literally necrod a 3 year old thread just to insult me and tell me I have no place on the CC.

Also a fun newsflash, if I posted false information in the CC forums, I’d be corrected by another CC member. It’s almost like there’s more than one person on the CC. The CC isn’t an ecbo chamber, and if you took more than 5 seconds to read the forums for once, you’d see that.

My belief that black arrow was not a priority in wreath is no less important than your belief it was. The only difference is the guides state it wasn’t. Guides are shockingly not the end all for what’s true or not. Have you seen some of the WFR guilds thoughts on rotations compared to the icy/wh guides? Some of them are like night and day. Shockingly, guides are written by a single person most of the time. No different than you or me. And they post their opinions on the guides as well.

And the only reason I reference them so much in this post is because Bepples likes to use them. Otherwise I rarely reference guides, because again, guides are made by a single person most of the time. If you look at say, methods spec guides and compare them to say icy, 90% of the time the suggested talents and even stat priority will be radically different. I had to enter a class discord for one of my toons cause I was genuinely confused cause icy, wowhead, method, and like one other site all said completely different things.

Guides are not absolute. There is no one true playstyle. If you prioritized black arrow in wrath, good for you. I did not. Many others did not. Many others did. And I’m sure plenty of us still managed to do endgame just fine.

Again, MY ENTIRE ARGUMENT IN THIS THREAD was that black arrow was not a core identity spell of survival. And I will stand by that statement. I had no intention of this being an argument about rotation.

And the fact Bepples and you decided to turn to personal attacks is disgusting. The fact Bepples circumvented an ignore by posting on a second character is even worse. That’s literally harassment. But you apparently support that.

As per usual I’m putting this thread on mute. It’s a 3 year old necro that needs to die and the only reason it was bumped was to attack me. I’m not dignifying Bepples with further responses. (In b4 “Just like Maizou, running away from confrontation” - no one should have to deal with harassment. Period.)

1 Like

Here we go.

" so weak that it was not suggested to be grabbed by any of the guides"

Have you even looked at the Survival talent tree? You can’t get Explosive Shot without picking the Black Arrow talent, so what you are suggesting in the quote above, is that people shouldn’t have taken Black arrow and thus Explosive Shot when playing survival in WOTLK?

You seriously have zero clue mate. Admit you are wrong and move on please.

I didn’t bother reading the rest of the gibberish past this part of your post, so i’m happy/sad for you or whatever. Please point out who is arguing this? In addition, who actually said Black Arrow was a core survival identity spell? You’re literally arguing with yourself.

:-1:t4:

5 Likes

Not unless they have us another spec because for some reason they feel a ranged class needs to also be a melee class in some sort of weird mashup.

Look at this dumb dumb Hunter on the world first Mimiron kill keeping Black Arrow up on the target. Don’t they know anything? That’s like speccing into Lacerate!..

/s

Apparently Maizou is so used to gaslighting that she thinks people can’t read earlier posts in a thread where she claimed that Black Arrow was added in WoD, only to move the goalposts to saying Black Arrow didn’t proc Lock and Load until WoD and that taking Black Arrow in WotLK is comparable to taking Lacerate in 1.1. Now it’s all “Black Arrow wasn’t a core identity spell” whatever that means, and “Guides agree with me that it wasn’t a priority!” (false). In fact it seems she thinks it’s equivalent to MM speccing into Serpent Sting so she’s still lying and factually incorrect, just not as catastrophically badly as before.

Like I said, honest people research. Dishonest people bluff. We should not have dishonest and uninformed people on the council. It’s a bad look for the playerbase. I don’t want to hear crying about “harassment”. Council members should be held to a higher standard than this.

3 Likes

A man can dream, I miss DoT hunter

4 Likes

https://classic.warcraftlogs.com/reports/9TfhXDCwkFPRGqHn#fight=71&type=damage-done

99th percentile Illidan SV parse without using a single melee ability. Can you parse 99th percentile now as SV in Sepulcher without using melee abilities?

Yes, melee weaving is a way to squeeze out more DPS. This is true for any Hunter spec in BC as melee and ranged swing timers are separate and there’s no 5-8 yard deadzone, and Savage Strikes was high enough in the SV tree that any build could take it. SV also doesn’t have the +20% ranged haste that BM has meaning it has more time to do it without sacrificing ranged shots. But as guides say and as is evident by the fact that many high end parses don’t include it, it’s largely optional. You can do just fine without melee weaving at all.

Remember, the point of contention is whether SV counts as a ranged spec before BC and whether modern SV is representative of Classic/TBC SV. Evidently the existence of melee weaving as a strategy is not enough to make modern SV similar to those original versions and SV is still very much a ranged spec.

1 Like

I was never a BM player with my hunter back before WoD. Was either MM or SV. They both played so much better before then.

I miss both specks back before WoD!

2 Likes

Asked in 2019.

3 years later, I can confidently reply
“NO”

Not going to talk about the CC, but honestly, if this is how you claim that RSV was designed to be played, seriously, please stop talking about it. If you’re actually sincere when you post this, you really have no clue about its intended gameplay.

Is Assassination just Subtlety, but with different skill names? Or Outlaw?

Is Affliction just Destruction with different skill names?

Mages; Arcane, Fire, Frost, all the same eh?

As someone who claims to have played the class for 17 years, it’s strange how you seem to be unaware of what specs actually are/are meant to do(be).

The core identity of Survival between WotLK and WoD was that of a munitions expert and trapper. One who focuses on augmented shots and enhanced traps.

Augmented shots?
Explosive Shot :white_check_mark:
Black Arrow :white_check_mark:
Serpent Sting :white_check_mark:
Arcane Shot :white_check_mark:
Cobra Shot :white_check_mark:

All of these fit the supposed core identity/fantasy just fine.

5 Likes

If it ever does, I want it to come back as a fourth spec and not outright replace the new survival.

Same goes for demonology.

Agreed.

#[Updated for Dragonflight] Munitions - If RSV was to return

3 Likes

They were no more the same than, say, the 3 mage specs which if you want to generalize all come down to hurling balls of magic at enemies, the only difference being the color of the balls — orange, purple, or blue. Yet no one at Blizz seemed offended at the “sameness” of all mage specs and thus felt compelled to make a melee mage.

So, yes, I have played a mage and I know each spec has a unique feel to it, each has its own play style. But the point is, so did the old 3 hunter specs. There certainly was as much difference among the hunter specs as there is among mage specs.

Still, I don’t see Blizz ever going back, but it would,be nice if, for example, they created a SV talent build that allowed for real SV ranged play.

2 Likes

Less returning Survival, more give other classes ranged weapons, please.

Holy, at the very least, should have sacred bolters to spread the word of the Light.