Will Cataclysm be Dead on Arrival?

Why can’t we have region specfic forums like we have region specfic servers?

1 Like

It won’t be dead on arrival however, within probably three months, you should expect to see a pretty significant fall off. People generally did not like Cata, It’s why so many people quit the game before WoD.

1 Like

i want a forever wrath server!! i dont care about cata, tbc or plus…

SoD is funny. its a wacky idea with wacky designs … but man, its easily the most unbalanced phase in WoW’s 20 year history.

2 Likes

I agree with everything

I enjoyed Cata when it was released all those years ago, but then again I do realize some people didn’t and that’s fine. I’ll still play it. /shrug

SoD basically killed wotlk and a lot of guilds. My guild has a lot of no shows and I’m sure people will leave. I’m not happy they released it so early into ICC.

Afraid I am going to have to correct you there. 25% of players unsubscribed from warcraft. So the reality isn’t ‘80% stayed they must have loved it’ but ‘it was bad enough that even with sunk cost a quarter of the playerbase left’.

4 Likes

Again, looking at a graph over a two year period and just considering the highest and the lowest point only shows how ignorant you are in statistical analysis. For 1 year 10 months more than 10 million people paid for a sub in Cata, that’s 83%. For a short period of time, about 2 months, at the very end of Cata subs dropped to 9 million. Then went back up to 10 million at the start of MoP. There’s a reason scientists use graphs over time but there’s no way you’d be able to understand that. You’d have to read a book or take a freshman level class in Statistical Analysis to understand it and there’s no way you would ever do anything like that.

I do not consider mop start subs to be part of cata and a record in the drop of subs, nor should anyone think that the only an idiot such as you would think that the raw data supports when we are indeed looking at the line of best fit. So the drop points to 9m is valid counting the pre-mop 10m subs as part of cata just shows how idiotic you are.

3 Likes

Of course the MoP subs aren’t part of Cata, but the fact remains that for 1 year 10 months over 10 million people paid a sub for Cata. To focus on the 2 months at the very end of Cata when subs dropped to 9 million ignores that fact. But then, ignoring facts is your standard operating procedure.

Read my posts, all of them and you will see what I am saying. The drop from wrath’s 12m to 10m mid cata then to ~9m near the end are all part of the trend and modeling catas decline.

4 Likes

Which was rather small, especially for seventh and eighth year of a game. While it’s obvious that Cata’s start at 12 million was due to the previous expansions the fact that Cata held more than 10 subs for 1 year 10 months is an amazing accomplishment solely due to Cata itself. It’s a testament to Cata’s strength. Clearly the vast majority liked Cata or they wouldn’t have continued to play and pay for 22 months.

1 Like

Can’t believe this thread is alive. Cata is alive and well and the only thing that will save the existing servers from the incredible decline in population that occurred with the release of something as terrible as SoD.

Even a full server, Whitemane, can’t even recruit or fill pug slots let alone get the 25 you have to show up. If they released Cata in like 3 months it would be full again and pumping along.

1 Like

Preach!!!

they’ll still all be there at launch then leave when done the content and claim the game is dead.

i mean, this is just another forum rerun with the added classic word.

Still cata has no claim to strength if it lost so many subs. I wouldn’t say that because before mmos relied on nostalgia it relied on sunk cost to keep people playing. It really is a testament to the power and genius wrath had that people trusted blizz because of wrath enough to play cata. I mean for an idiot like you who has trouble with comprehension cata classic could have lost 49% of players and you would have the same idiotic conclusion.

Final score wrath 12, cata 9 deal with it.

5 Likes

Wrath 12 Cata 9, every other game from every other company at the time, less than 5

1 Like

LoL imagine trying to claim losing 25% of your player base is a win by any metric.

4 Likes

Imagine looking at a 2 year period and thinking all you need to know is the peak at week one and the low for the last two months. Like nothing that happened for 1 year 10 months matters. This is just another case of something too complex for simple minds. I never thought you would be that stupid but apparently I was wrong.

1 Like