Will Cataclysm be Dead on Arrival?

“I’m not bothered YOU’RE bothered!!!”

Ok champ lol.

Heh, wanting to experience a 14 year old expansion (by the time it comes out) makes you a retail player. LOL.

1 Like

I think we will see a population decline but not anywhere near as bad as people think. Many of the people still playing are the die-hard WoW fans and will keep playing.

I highly doubt it. There are a few detractors, but there are more people wanting Cataclysm than not. Otherwise I doubt Blizzard would be releasing it and migrating all the servers to it.

Thanks.

It’ll be “dead” a few months in if they rehost it the way it was originally. I did suggest a way it could be done better: A Better Way To Do Cataclysm

2 Likes

Here is a hot take, Cataclysm Classic will be more popular than WOTLK classic why?

Because more retail tourist might stick around this time making its playerbase higher overall.

(To me Cata is just WOTLK+)

I mean population decline will exist but it won’t be as bad as the ~30% decline we saw in retail cata. But that won’t be because cata is good it will be because of bots, and the presence of alternatives.

4 Likes

Today in the forums I learned that 12m to 10m is -30%.

2 Likes

I hope Cata falls harder than it did the first time. I hope it’s so painfully bad for Blizzard that they scrap this project and close it down. Keep the Classic servers and Season of Mastery and retail.

5 Likes

Worst take

Why? I don’t care what happens to classic era, or SoM, or SoD, or retail. I don’t play those games. I also don’t care what happens to Grand Theft Auto or the Elder Scrolls since I don’t play those games either.

1 Like

Good old fashioned “I don’t care about winning, I just want them to lose” mentality

2 Likes

I dont get what people are actually excited for, most of catas content was revamped leveling zones.

That’s exactly what I’m excited for. The revamped zones are way more enjoyable than the current ones

Also I never got to experience the raids back then and I’ve heard they’re actually really good

2 Likes

The only zone i genuinely liked better was thousand needles, but they ruined Ashenvale which has always been one my favorite zones in WoW so it’s a net loss.

The first two raid teirs are good, Firelands is one of the best raids they’ve ever made. But Dragonsoul which should be the iconic raid of the expansion, title boss and what not, is one of the worst raids they’ve ever made.

DS was not a great raid but it lasting forever also made it much worse. A shortened version is just okay

1 Like

That’s what has me excited. My work changed and I had to cut back on wow during cata and wasn’t able to raid too.

1 Like

The 10m you see is re-subs at the start of mop.

The dip near endphase is ~9.1m, now what is (100%)*9.1/12?

If you want proof look at the data, it shows cata dropping to about 9m then jumping a bit back to 10m after mop drops.

4 Likes

Good take and it might need to be the case, at least mandatory cata without wrath era. Because the real thing classic people want is vanilla-tbc-wrath. We didn’t know we wanted sod, but it seems they are willing to see what can be done there.

5 Likes