Will blizz start banning people for racism and sexual harassment then?

for an interview with the person and a display of the controversial comment watch this video:
20% of WoW Community Council BANNED! Asmongold Interviews Most Active Ex-Member - YouTube

i’ll let you make your own judgement call on whether the guy deserved what happened… i personally don’t think he did.

1 Like

In that instance, the ban wouldn’t necessarily be for the harassment as much as the hate speech. That should be fairly obvious.

I’ve been Godwinned (Godwon? :man_shrugging:)! The fact that you would resort to drawing such a ridiculous parallel suggests you couldn’t muster a better counter-argument.

3 Likes

no, it just means that we think you can’t understand actual feminist theories or you would probably instantly reject them and make fun of them if we even tried to educate you… so we make a simple analogy that we think you would be able to handle. and you can’t even handle that.

4 Likes

And you still haven’t intelligently countered anything.

13 Likes

You generally don’t get banned for chat infractions you get silenced so I’d guess no.

2 Likes

Doesn’t matter what we think. This person attempted to offer exclusive access to a Blizzard-sanctioned group. A racist troll joined that discord and posted that comment. Whether or not the intent of this person (not the troll) was in good faith, this person was linked to that racist troll’s comment in a matter that could be seen as justifying racism. Especially during this time, with horrible PR, this person was forced to take responsibility for that comment. Again, regardless of intentions or acting in good faith, they risked making Blizzard look like they supported someone tied to racist comments.

Whether or not you agree is besides the point – Blizzard has full control of who they invite into the program. They can just as easily remove them, including for no reason at all. (To quote this person, “It’s the first line in the email we received.”)

Now, for your issue of ongoing harassment. It’s really, really difficult to stop a persistent person on the internet. Some of my friends are victims like yourself. There was one particular person who we’ve had to ban from a public Discord server at least 50 times. There’s only so much you can do.

I know many of the exploits used (and of course I’m not going to describe them), but I understand it’s very frustrating when it seems helpless and the company isn’t doing enough. All I can say is that having good friends helps a lot.

4 Likes

Sadly, the in game report function is all automated now and only flags a response if a single person receives enough reports to automate the silence feature. It’s been like this for some time now

1 Like

I think it’s weird that people are interrogating the OP on whether or not the harassment she faced was real.

I hope it gets fixed for you, OP.

Long story short, yes: they’re supposed to ban them. But I’m not sure how often they do.

12 Likes

People want proof :man_shrugging:

No, they are supposed to take action if they find a reason to, what action they take is unknown

If something happens they will tell you :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It can be both. We all know women receive this kind of crap online, stop making excuses for it.

Just typical day on the internet tbh.
:disappointed:

11 Likes

You’re a bit late to the party my guy.

Using the Council to make his own discord, then advertise it as a place to talk to the Council was an issue - and it was unmoderated and full of problematic discussions.

The rest of the story - formatting is better if you read the linked post. It has a quote in it and stuff that does not display right in the preview.

And yes, he did reply stating that the summary there is accurate.

Further 1 person was removed out of 40. Not “20% of the Community Council”. He was also not banned from the game or forums.

The penalty tends to start with a Silence removing them from social functions and group tools. However, it can include a Suspension, and even a game ban if bad enough.

Here is a recent example of someone complaining they got a Suspension they felt was unjustified. Forum Support Agent pointed out that yes, it was justified for ongoing harassment. They also went over the increased penalties for chat violations. It should answer some of your questions about the current reporting and punishment systems.

7 Likes

They do silence and suspend people for both of these, though.

Why? Context/perspective are important.

2 Likes

Exactly. With the wide range of sensitivity about what players would consider harrasment, it’s really hard to just take someone’s word for it.

According to the OP, Customer Service took no action so we have to assume it was deemed acceptable behavoir

3 Likes

Blizzard bans people for legit and bogus reasons…what they don’t do is make sure you personally know when someone you reported got theirs. Also it takes 2 to tango and I personally find it very sus when one manages to earn the continued ire of, supposedly, an entire guild and yet they themselves are blameless.

On a positive note though…good to see a CC member get theirs.

1 Like

I reserve my sexism for my GF; she seem to like it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They don’t tell you if they punished somebody you reported, though.

When you report someone it usually puts them on ignore and removes their chat from your logs. So are you being harrassed by someone specifically making alts just to internet stalk you?

Something smells fishy here.

3 Likes

That has no bearing on reality, though.

Blizzard punishes people for this.

My understanding is that the game notifies you when you have been reported.

As long as the offending behavoir stops, does it really matter what action Blizz took?