Will blizz start banning people for racism and sexual harassment then?

So, a community council member gets banned/removed from the council for responding to a racist person.
Does this mean Blizzard will actually start banning the people I report for racism and sexual harassment ?
I mean honestly, if Blizzard assigned GM’s to watch the most populated servers trade chats for just 15 minutes a day. I’m sure they would see first hand at the VERY least 1 racist comment every week. And just as many misogynist comments. and i’m pretty sure it would be a lot more than that.

46 Likes

You do get banned for racism and sexism.

I don’t want to tell you to do it and find out. But I assure you if you went and tested the waters you’d find out fairly quickly that action is taken against you.

51 Likes

No, they usually just take performative action whenever one of the many racist/griefer guilds steps too far out of line and forces their hand. But those people just buy new accounts and make new toons so it’s part of their biz model to not take any sort of meaningful action against hate speech and sexual harassment

7 Likes

false. as a female player i have frequently and repeatedly reported people in chat for sexually harassing me multiple times. from the same person.

33 Likes

omg imitchell im a BIG FAN

1 Like

Harassment is neither sexism or racism.
But still bannable. Maybe you should make a ticket.

Also, if it’s from the same player, why are you not ignoring them…?

29 Likes

the ignore feature is glitched/broken rn just like reckoning

2 Likes

no im a big fan

1 Like

they will only act on anything when its time to score pr points

2 Likes

not only did i ignore them, but i had to ignore their entire guild. and multiple alts they created to continue to harass me. because it became a group effort, I not only submitted multiple tickets, but i got someone on the phone because i was so incensed by their behavior. NOTHING changed. the guy was super sympathetic on the phone, but the most he could do was tell me that he would elevate this issue for me. Then, the response i got after that was: well, you made a community, so you have to put up with that. people will try to join your community and some of them may harass you.
considering the drama thats going down with blizz employees and the harassment inhouse, I understand why they clearly had no inclination to do anything to stop harassment in their game.

27 Likes

exactly, it isn’t that they’re broken, the problem is that they’re functioning as intended and it’s demonstrated via their actions/inaction. ive seen the same exact thing you’re describing taking place on every server, and most of it is tied back to one of the griefer/goon guilds from 4chan/somethingawful forums

1 Like

Seems rather inefficient; it’s an awful lot of time, effort and manpower to punish two people a week. Not to mention the unintended consequence that players would inevitably stop reporting such behavior, instead assuming that the GM would catch it.

Are you engaging with this player? Once you do, it stops being harassment and becomes a dialog.

Are you submitting tickets for ongoing harassment?

10 Likes

I remember the incident on the Blizzard Customer Support-Twitter a few weeks ago, when a young lady complained about getting sexually harassed by a guy from her server and shared some screenshots, while asking for help and explaining that this stuff is still going and ticket waiting times were shown to be up to 9 days. The only answer from customer support: “Ticket wait time isn’t that long.”.

But I can confirm that Blizzard isn’t very strict about their rules. Sometimes nothing’s happening, sometimes players get a slap on the wrist and muted (not suspended) for one day for doing really f’d up stuff.

Sounds like victim blaming to me. It’s still harassment, it doesn’t matter whether they’re answering or not.

24 Likes

They had a lot of reasons to remove that player from the council. He wasn’t banned at all. He’s just no longer a member of the council.

Harassment is against the rules, and you can get suspended or banned for it if your behavior is determined to be sufficiently offensive.

Not at all. In order for Blizzard to consider it ongoing harassment, the victim needs to place the harasser on ignore. (to establish that further contact is unwelcome), and the harasser has to somehow circumvent the ignore in order to continue contact.

3 Likes

If their behavior is heinous enough, this is not necessary. A one-time outpouring of hate speech could get somebody banned.

6 Likes

Are you kidding me right now? I already said that i ignored them. Are you the kind of guy who thinks a woman’s outfit is an invitation?

Yes, yes i did.

I don’t think Blizzard is the best authority on judging what constitutes ‘harassment’ based on their recent issues… Maybe it’s time for them to re-evaluate these policies too.

23 Likes

Twilight Zone… the haystack has become ALL needles. Ears to hear, Eyes to see.

If the harasser is writing creepy stuff, he should still be punished. Harm is already done, even after putting him on ignore. Words cannot be taken back.

This guy. His explanations sound like one of our German politics back in the day when there were mass harassments in Cologne on New Year’s Eve from a huge group of young men. “Maybe the distance of one arm length would’ve done the trick”

12 Likes

Responding at all, or responding the same way the other person did? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like