Why the new mount equipment system feels so underwhelming

I addressed that part of your comment and why it can’t be per mount. We’ll all put water walking on one mount, anti-daze on another, parachute on a different one and a flier…so we’ll have 4 mounts on our bar that we’ll ever use.

What do I do with the rest of my 347 mounts?

Put relevant abilities on them and use them as you will, crazy, I know

4 Likes

Right, so you disagree with me on that. Like I said, you could have just as easily made a post disagreeing with me without lobbing any personal attacks on me. Because frankly, I can understand what you’re saying, it does make some sense to me about why maybe it shouldn’t be per mount.

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

What do you do with them now?

Personally, I rotate through my mounts, and have different ones as the main mounts for all my numerous alts. If it was a per mount system, I would put different gear on far more than four mounts.

2 Likes

Don’t be crazy, man. Everything has to be equally bad, because if one thing is good, it’s OP. The only way to have choices is for all the choices to be bad!

9 Likes

Time to rename the mount “WhateverBlizzardWantsItToDo Strider”!

2 Likes

I use a random mount addon but the use-list is pretty small. I only ride mounts that don’t flap all over the sky or bounce up and down on the ground, and most importantly fit through small doorways like in Org. Have you ever flown a wide-body mount into the Inscription building and get stuck hard in the door?? Yeah I avoid fat mounts.

If the mount equipment is per character, then I guess they’ll all water walk. I’ll keep making no-daze on my leather worker and engineer will keep making gliders and blacksmith will make “interact while mounted” things. /shrug

Stridey McStriderface

4 Likes

Strider-man, strider-man, strides on whatever blizz says he can

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice. Didn’t really ask for it, but hey if that’s your feedback for bliz well then…

/salute

Hopefully they don’t end up changing something travel related that you like into a piece of mount equipment or then we might have to actually talk about it.

So if there’s no real use for no daze and parachutes and the only real bonus is cosmetic variety why not simply make all the mounts that should walk or hover over walk able to do so? Like the flying Titanic or Cloud Serpents?

It would seem to be from what Blizzard stated that the problem isn’t water walking per se, just everyone using the one mount (even the 49% who don’t have one).

2 Likes

Cry me a river. You receive a free mount equipment in the mail, apply it and the mount still walks on water; in fact every mount will.

If they keep its water walking and let you equip mount equipment it will still be the only mount anyone uses; if they make it still water walk and not have a mount equipment everyone will equip anti daze on other mounts and most of the time be on the water strider incase the come across some water anyway.

If you can suggest a better implementation which will not end up with half the player base running around on the same mounts go for it, but let’s for a moment imagine 8.2 has been released, you have received your free water walking mount equipment and ‘socketed’ it.
Your water strider walks on water, all your mounts do. Explain to me in this situation what you have lost? Nothing at all, you have only gained the ability to click on any mount in your stable and walk over water.

• Mount equipment that works at the mount level not at the character level.
  • Mount abilities that are assigned to mounts based on type of mount.
  • A mount transmog system so mounts keep their functionality but can be made to look like other mounts.

Just to name three that have been mentioned countless times in many of the threads on this topic. Now ask yourself why Blizzard isn’t implementing any of those features since those would have the benefit of really adding player choice and mount variety.

3 Likes

I think the trader, transmog dud and the AH should be available for all other mounts too.

Make it so Blizzard.

Why just take away what I earned in the water strider?
Why make me, now, have to purchase and equip ALL of my alts with this new equipment when, right now, they all have access to the strider and there is nothing I have to do.

I think we need to look at ALL of the special abilities that Blizzard has given to mounts, since we now recognize how Blizzard has no problem with taking MORE things from players (obviously not the first time).

The excuse that this will allow other players to have something new is, admittedly, a slick move on their part. As presented, it serves to split the players on this change and make those, who want to keep the strider as it is, look like they are taking something from other players.

You have to love the irony.

All of my alts, on all servers now have access to my water strider. If I ignored everything else about this change that annoys me, I would still be ticked off that I have to pay more (I don’t care how much or how little) to get back something that I already earned, paid for and have in my possession.

The very idea that they could actually be asking how much would be too much for us to pay really is that “slap in the face” that I always annoyed me when used on these forums, because asking someone to pay for something they already have IS a slap in the face.

This time they are overtly taking something previously earned in the game and telling us that we can have a lesser version of it back, along with the hassle of having to equip ALL alts (45 on just this account), if we will now pay…for what we already have.

The very idea that they keep giving us stuff, then later deciding that they are going to take it back, is bad enough.

They are now pretty much admitting that they are giving us things, then want to take back what they give us like it never happened.

I am done with working too hard for anything in this game when I cannot trust that they will respect what I have earned and not try to nerf it later, or take it back. Really, what is the point any more?

Maybe this change is more of a new carrot for getting players to spend more gold on equipment items that they will have to pay over and over again and causing the purchases of tokens to be more appealing, maybe it is related to time played metrics, I don’t know.

I do know that they are treating a lot of players with enough disrespect that many are leaving and a lot of us, who are left, are hanging on by fingernails, to a single straw which is balanced on the head of a needle …yadda yadda…you get the point.

I used to be a major supporter of the devs here on these very forums. It has only been since post MOP that I have seen so many things that have been badly done and mismanaged by this current iteration of devs and the really bad impact on players, that I have had to acknowledge that things have really changed with Blizzard.

They have all but ceased to seriously communicate with the players/customers and the more that they nerf and take things away from players, the more players keep leaving and even many of those who remain are now perpetually skeptical of most changes that Blizzard makes.

This is just one thing out of a lot of things that have been stirring the pot among players about why Blizzard is doing some of the things that they are doing.

The treatment of flying in WOD, then in Legion, was nearly my last straw and the only thing that has given me even a smidgen of hope is that it, so far, appears that flying will not require dungeons and/or raids in BfA.

That means that players who do not, or are unable to participate in group instance content will not be denied the ability to fly as they were in Legion (among many other things that they could not do).

We will see if that stands when the patch goes live.

Anyway, the water strider, to me, represents a disrespect of the time and gold that I put in to obtain a mount that both water walked and all of my alts could use.

Now the devs tell me that they are going to take it away then give me back a lesser version of my current strider as long as I go through the hassle of paying (for something I already have, only better) and setting up each of my alts to be able to use the new water walking equipment.

To me, if they were actually going to do something like this, the only decent and honest way to do it would have been to GIVE those who currently have the strider the equipment to water walk free on a permanent basis.
Grandfathering us in, so to speak. The alternative is to leave this mount alone just as you are doing with the herbing mount.

Otherwise, it is a really cheezy move and won’t be soon forgotten by a lot of us who are already feeling that Blizzard is not really interested in “being friends” any more.

Like it/Don’t Like it JMO

3 Likes

Ya know, I am submitting my feedback and opinions on this. You’re submitting yours. There’s no need to get in a huff or cop an attitude. Feel free to take it to someone else.

I’ve said repeatedly that I don’t care if they gave every single mount currently in the game a water walking passive and every mount coming, so that solves your little issue about “everyone riding the same mount”. They won’t do that, but that’s not my issue to fight about that’s yours.

Right now I can use an item and not get dazed while riding my water strider or my golem. Do you think they’re going to let those sort of items stay though or update them for new zones when they have mount equipment that does the same thing? So no I can’t just “put water walking on and it will be exactly the same as it is now” or whatever.

Oh I am glad you asked. I’ve stated my ideas over many threads, but here they are again so anyone can take their pick.

1. They can leave the water strider with it’s passive ability AND implement the water walking equipment piece so that anyone who wants to just use the strider doesn’t have to mess with the equipment while still giving everyone the option to use another mount if they prefer. If the players insist on using the strider after that then that’s on them, but the choice is there now so that no one is crying about having one mount for water walking.

2. They can give us more than one slot because as far as I am concerned we already have the ability to get water walking, use an item to avoid being dazed, and gliders if we get dismounted in the air or whatever. Limiting those to just equipment where we have to choose between the 3 is ridiculous. This is pandora’s box. They opened it and they can’t take it back. It’s not even something game breaking, so why are they trying to suddenly make it matter so much?

3. They can dump the equipment idea and go back to mounts with their special abilities while adding to the mounts so that people have options. Need more water walking? Let’s get some boats, rafts, ducks, hover vehicles, pool floaties… Take your pick or they can get creative and think up some more. Want a mount so that you can’t get dazed on? Well, I am sure they can come up with some believable options that give players a choice. I am also sure they can think up something for the parachute idea as well.

6 Likes

1/3 of all accounts have the waterwalking mount.

You really can’t have it both ways. You can’t whine that you see 90% of all players on the waterwalking mount at all times (“Waah, it hurts my eyes, daddy blizzard, get rid of it!”) and then turn around and complain that it’s so rare that people will lose some bizarre sort of prestige.

6 Likes

I guess I will just be switching back to using nothing but the sky golem then, well till blizzard nerfs that passive ability it has for picking herbs while mounted.

It’s underwhelming bc garrison stable abilities were retooled and presented to us as a new and over-hyped patch feature called mount equipment. If Blizz wants to restrict movement and then they need call it what it is and stop doling out kool-aid.

It just occurred to me… and this is going to sound crazy… but WoW players need to unionize for crap just like this. It will never happen… but just imagine the impact it would have if 500k subs cancelled in unison and “we’ll be back when you revert ( whatever horrible change was made that particular day)”.

The Players Union has spoken!

Source please?

I only ever see people using this mount in areas with lots of water that are designed to waste time by making travel less convenient(Nazmir, I’m looking at you!).
Even then, I see many people just swimming and others using class abilities to cross water(leviate, path of frost, water walking).

Also this would not even be an issue if flying wasn’t so heavily delayed after Blizzard made it into the boogeyman for why the game has declined.

1 Like