Why the lack of Customization?

Legion Zone Overview: Suramar
With the Nightborne, there are no slums—there are just grades of “How elite are you?” They’ve all been in this bubble for 10,000 years, and they’re trained in hand-to-hand combat and spellcasting. They’re these consummate warriors, but they train as sort of a sport. Because for most of that time, there was no threat. They were closed off from the world. They worked on becoming as elegant as they could, and now you’ve got this arrogant, super-refined culture

The Highborne that would become the Nightborne flourished while the Shen’dralar were driven to near extinction, eventually fleeing the ruins of their ancestral home to beg for acceptance in Darnassus. Their situations could not be more different.

3 Likes

Pretty much. Still waiting on Undead Heritage armor . I’d love to run around looking like the guards in the royal quarter of UC or maybe the Undead guard in Legion Dal , especially those sheilds

3 Likes

Why exactly are those transmogs not available to the player base? Blizzard needs to step their game up and release almost every transmog to the players.

3 Likes

Oh look, here is another Highborne.

https://imgur.com/a/rF2l8wn

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Estulan
https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Daros_Moonlance
https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Mordent_Evenshade

3 Likes

Thanks, I guess? But nobody asked you to provide that.

Your guess is as good as mine. Fans have been able to implement NPC options but the developers are unable to for what ever reason.

And that doesn’t change the fact they’re still the same people with the same taste, clothes and jewelry.

You very much did when you said there were no Night Elf Highborne, though.

1 Like

Thank you Fen

2 Likes

My overall message was that the Shen’dralar are Highborne in name only. In the many appearances they’ve had since their assimilation into Night Elf culture, no stock has gone into them being elegant or regal, only that they practice magic.

This discussion in large part was challenging the notion that Night Elves should be granted a regal, elegant, aesthetic with glowing tattoos simply because of the Shen’dralar’s association with the Night Elves.

If the Shen’dralar were intended to be portrayed as regal or elegant, that theme would have been made clear in the many instances the Shen’dralar were present in both novel and in-game, but that was never the case. The Shen’dralar are few in number, they’ve been humbled, and now they clearly seek integration within Night Elf society by teaching the Night Elves magic.

3 Likes

That’s not because “they’re no longer regal”, that’s simply because, storywise, the Shen’dralar aren’t as important as other races/characters to the extent of spending time to make them stand out from the rest of the Night Elves.

There’s no natural haired fair-skinned Void Elf either in the game (other than Alleria) and yet we’ve got them as customizations. In fact very few of the customizations we’ve been given for all races are reflected in their respective races’ NPCs.

The fact that, in game, they’re not depicted as “x” doesn’t mean they’re not “x” or that they shouldn’t receive “x” customizations when, in lore, they are actually “x”.

Indeed, and that is right. The Highborne has joined the Night Elf society. The Highborne like to wear regal, elegant, sleek clothes and jewelry. Thus it makes perfect sense for Night elves to receive a few elegant, sleek customizations.

9 Likes

Sadly, not many know the true meaning of the Highborne aka Quel’dorei.

People tend to believe that having golden eyes, having arcane powers, and having golden jewelry makes you a Highborne, however a Kal’dorei without Highborne blood — such as Illidan Stormrage - could master arcane power if he so wished (and had access to it). In fact, the mastering of the arcane arts was common among the populace, resulting in organizations such as the Moon Guard, the official military sorcerers.

The Eldre’thallasian Highborne who have joined the Kaldorei Resistance have lost their title of Highborne by obeying to the rules of the lowborne, they are no longer respected as it was in the times of the Empire, at the moment their purpose is to teach the young Kal’dorei the ways of Arcane, but nothing more. Moreover, being a Nightelf magi, does not mean you are a Highborne neither, you are one of those young Kal’dorei who is learning the ways of the Arcane.

People need to understand, that being an arcane mage does not make you a Highborne, it is something that passes by tradition, by blood just like the Shal’dorei say:

Quel’vala thonos- Nobility through tradition.

The Kal’dorei should accept the fact that the Shal’dorei is the definition of the Highborne, and move on. As the Shal’dorei are the only elven race, besides the Sin’dorei who kept true to their traditions, and nobility.

The Shal’dorei might not look like their Kal’dorei cousins, however, the Shal’dorei are the ones who the Highborne of the Empire would have become eventually, meaning arcane infusions and etc.

Suramar still has the division of the Highborne and the Lowborne, in the conversation below, which can be found in Court of Stars, proofs it.

Spellblade Aluriel says: Lowborn filths! Perhaps reducing their rations of arcwine will remind them who it is they serve.

Haughty Aristocrat says: I simply can’t fathom why some citizens resist the Grand Magistrix’s plan.

Spellblade Aluriel says: As their hunger grows, the rebels will turn on each other like starved rats. Any sympathizers will be exposed and order will be restored!

Aluriel implies to the non-noble citizens as lowborns.

That being said, playing as a Shal’dorei, you are the one to decide if you are coming from the noble family, or from the commoner family.

(Sorry for the wall of text, been late to party)

5 Likes

Um, you better call up Blizzard and tell them that.

5 Likes

funy cuz ur a nelf mage lmao

Nightborne Infiltrator:

• I cannot lose to a lowborn!
  • Lowborn scum!
  • Scum like you should obey your betters.

Advisor Vandros:

I have not survived for ten thousand years just to fall to a swarm of lowborn rats. (lowborn word been removed later patches).

There are many more examples, stop ignoring please.

Blizzard has added a group of Shal’dorei with title Highborne in BFA.

You think I am but I am not.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/eu/kazzak/lunaera

You’re not required to keep an impalpable social title to continue wearing elegant clothes and jewelry, Lun.

1 Like

And we see the Highborne of the Night Elf society in WoW, and also within the lore too. You’re point?

The Quel’dorei means being Noble.

This is how Nobles walk in Suramar.

https://imgur.com/a/rAH1yCG

The “Highborne” were added to Kaldorei to open the acesss for the mage class, their story has not been developed ever since, why the Highborne of Kaldorei resistance did not come to Nazjatar?

Where were they? Oh yeah, forgotten for another 10,000 years.

1 Like