Why the lack of Customization?

I can live with that, yup.

It’s about mirroring the player model. I’m pretty sure they would land in the Horde.

I see them rather Horde. The Alliance is bland (as the developers love to make them), the corrupted ones will be likely Horde because I cannot see them landing anywhere elsewhere.

I think the Ethereals will stick with the Alliance due Alleria and her Void Elves.

As I understand it, WoW’s art assets aren’t set up in such a way as to work with a color wheel. That’s why, for example, a Blood Elf character picks from specific eye color assets rather than being able to adjust the exact hue and saturation of green, gold, or blue as the player pleases, as the colors are baked into the art asset. Making customization work with a color wheel would require completely overhauling the art assets, which isn’t necessarily impossible, but would be a considerable amount of work. That’s why it was such a big deal that in 9.0 eye color could be chosen separate from a character’s face, because previously the eyes were part of the face art asset, so picking a different eye color required picking a different face. When Blood Elves first got golden eyes, they were only applied to some of the face options, so there was a chance that if you wanted to change to having golden eyes, you’d have to change which face option you used.

This is also why any time a new hair style and color combination appears in the game, it involves more work than may be apparent to us players, because it’s not as simple as adding a new color option to an existing selection of hues and calling it a day. Each available hairstyle has to have a separate art asset file for each color that it will be available in.

3 Likes

Reading through the current news about the upcoming Warlock glyphs: Can some of the Voidwalker enemy npcs colorization made available for the Warlock class? Flame Red and Fel Green to fulfill the Blood Elf & Orgrimmar Orc Fel-fantasy.

An example found through google:

7 Likes

Not sure about why it would be orcs and blood elf related, but yeah I’ll support the Fel Elemental as a glyph for Voidwalkers. :stuck_out_tongue:

Though even better Blizzard is adding a system more like the hunter pet and taming system for Warlocks…

Maybe like in this thread?

6 Likes

I thought the Ethereals hated the void, like really really hated the void. In fact aren’t the void based Ethereals seen as extremists by the friendly Ethereals?

Theres a few types of ethereals.

The void ones are a bit nuts, but Locus-Walker and a few others show that there are non-nuts ones about.

The Arcane type seem to be arranged mostly into trade groups.

Suppose while I’m here. Lore has a thread on them.

1 Like

Got those reversed something awful.

The Horde needs a race with a Void connection and space-faring tech way more than the Alliance needs it’s third or fourth race with such.

1 Like

Great write up, makes sense. :+1:

For real though Blizzard, you guys gotta hook Void Elves with some actual Void skintones.

https://i.imgur.com/9OmyqCU.png

There’s more ‘natural’ than Void. Needs to be fixed.

4 Likes

I mean velves’ racial is that they are friends with ethereals, that’s why transmog and that bank-like thing are cheaper for them.

I’d make my humans gilnean.

Naga and Satyrs are elves tied to the void in a way so I think that can work with velves and the whole theme of “hey, they void is not so bad” that blizz has been pushing.

And if Tyrande can forgive Sylvanas, then anything is game for nelves TBH.

Sethrak being Alliance and Saberon being Horde is the proper decision.

I disagree, especially since the Alliance still needs a mercantile race whereas the Horde have 2 races that fit that already.
Horde also already have a Void connection through the Forsaken (Cult of Forgotten Shadows).

3 Likes

It makes absolutely no sense.

Orcs hunted down the Saberon on Draenor, using their hearts as reagents for rituals.

Sethrak live on Horde lands, have stronger connections to the Horde players through the story, and political ties to both the Vulpera and the Zandalari.

Sethrak belong on the Horde, and if the Saberon are going anywhere it should be Alliance.

1 Like

What would horn glow effects look like for Lightforged Blizzard :thinking:

Why no facial tattoos for Lightforged Blizzard?

One of mine would be Lordaeronian, and another would be Stormwindian… Might make myself a few side characters if that were a thing. A stromgardian, and Alteraci. (Though I want Alteraci humans to go Horde.)

Naga are tied to the Void.

Saytr are mostly tied to the Fel. Though through their tie to the Nightmare they do have some void. but they are literal Demons.

I don’t know who this tyrande is.

No leader of the Night Elves would ever forgive Sylvanas and still be able or willing to show their face in Night Elven lands.

Personally, I made these mockups, for different lightforged horns.
They aren’t like super intricate or anything but was a quick edit to illustrate my ideas.

Crystal, Metal and Naaru texture for their horns, including glow

https://i.imgur.com/wBbj2IU.jpg
3 Likes

I like the first one the most myself.

2 Likes

Metal horns would fit well with their “forged theme”

Also, maybe horns that are like half normal, and half metal, like it broke (they have broken horns customization) and then replaced the rest with metal, that would be quite hardcore and fitting for their race.

3 Likes

If Sethrak go Alliance I’ll quit this game.

2 Likes

And if they go Neutral? (not gunna lie I don’t much care which side they go nowadays, as long as they’re playable. I just want them on both for selfish reasons.)

1 Like

I won’t be as upset but I could get over it.

1 Like

I’d say nothing race-wise is worth quitting the game, to me anyways, but I hope you don’t have to quit if they become playable whichever side. :frowning:

I know I personally want whatever side they go to make sense in the end, which is really easy for the Horde right now, but I still think is doable for Alliance as well.