Why the Arena Changes are bad (From a Gladiator)

As soon as I read about this change I ordered popcorn off Amazon, should get here just in time for the next MadSeasonShow video once he gets wind of this change.

2 Likes

People WERE asking for it they probably just dont realize it. When all the people kept saying R14 is a time investment Arena is where the real skill is. Blizzard seemingly agreed on some level and told people to get rating to get gear.

The large and small playerbase was literally my entire point what are you talking about lol. My entire point was that if you have a small playerbase in arenas then this type of thing happens, this wasn’t an oversight, THAT WAS MY POINT.

When you eliminate people from the bracket, you will see rating that look more similar to these. Which is why I said you need casuals in the bracket.

Mfer population difference is literally my point. The arena crowd is obviously a niche group already in a niche group. If you make it even smaller, you will run into these issues.

It could literally be the difference in 2600 being a glad title and 2300 being a glad title. If people can log on to start a team and play 10 games for some random off piece, this helps everyone in the arena system. When this is gone you create a ton of issues with q times, rating inconsistencies according to actual skill, among other things.

Rating requirements on gear such that only the top 5% can get it is so god awful for PvP participation that it had to be completely scrapped by Cata and kept out of the game through Legion. Then they went ahead and put lower rating requirements back in for BFA and SL, and participation is tanking. When the casual player can’t get anything, sub numbers go down, so this decision is idiotic from both a gameplay and business stand point. The top 5v5 team’s rating will be sub 2k from so few people doing it. Rank 1 but unable to buy weapons or shoulders (at least from that team). That’s hilariously bad design.

12 Likes

The titles and glad mount was always the real prestige and show of skill, most of the arena gear was the same as classic ranking a testament to patience.

4 Likes

I was planning on getting my ten Ls every week.

Now?

Nah.

3 Likes

Best post on this topic. Blizz has to change this garbage!

4 Likes

Which is the biggest issue right here. All the try hards can sit and act like this is a ‘good’ thing because they want to feel all high and mighty, but when you kill off the casuals you kill off your area of the game.

8 Likes

can’t wait to take all the BIS pve caster weapons now since prot pallies wont be getting gavel due to this change. hope you warlocks and mages can get 2050 rating to use your PVP weapon. tank prio on PVE weaps… sorry bud, thank blizzard. xd

9 Likes

asking for changes don’t mean the changes are to be bad :roll_eyes:

Well put.

10char

But your point is bad cause you have zero idea how many people are going to play. All you said was that you cant get to glad because P-servers dont have enough people. To which i pointed out that pservers are literlayy % of total players in wow as a whole. And even if we were to take 10% of the people doing arenas. That number still DWARFS p-servers. In a big way.

So your whole point is bad math.

So your worried about the number of Slots in that top .5%? Thats an entirely different discussion to be had mostly because now you are more worried about how good your team is compared to other teams. if your idea is to inflate the pool to make it so More people are glad. Tiny violin for you and all the other “Glads” that are not going to get it this time.

I’m sorry maybe my memory is garbo, but werent there rating requirements on some of the pieces always?

Yes, but only in Season 3 and 4. And during those seasons it was only required for helm/shoulders/weapons, not every piece of gear.

4 Likes

Ok I’m going to walk you through this because you are having issues and this needs to stop.

I explained to you, the less people play in arena, that these issues come up right?

You said, that there is no mathematical proof of this.

I explained to you in a hypothetical how this would work, as well as showing you pserver data.

My whole point was the smaller amount of people you have in arena, that this is how these issues come up.

Now my post was explaining how these changes will push out the casuals. This change will 110% make arena participation way smaller, period. I don’t need factual data to explain this, this is common sense.

So when I show you the pattern of smaller participation and the issues that come up it’s pretty easy to put two and two together.

So even if the playerbase of clsssic is bigger than pservers, this doesn’t mean that these issues still won’t come up.

If you went without these changes, these issues would not be as blatant. I’m not explaining this any further to you, if you don’t get it, then you don’t get it, I do not care.

5 Likes

I followed all your logic and tried to show you the flaws in your logic. To show you that the world isnt ending even if only 10% of the current player base played arenas. When you get to sub 1% of the player base taking part in arena your points start to have merrit.

However, saying that people that play just to get 10 losses a week or dont even play is some how a BETTER system to have because “pools deeper” is just awful. Some people gain some easy wins with no challenge. There is no Fun in that for the other side just make your pool deeper.

In the end removing the people that were not going to play outside to get free items from standing in areans and resetting each week is healthier for the system as a whole. Does it mean less Glad? Sure does. Time for the PvPers saying how great they were to show that in this one Battle Group they can hack it again. I think its going to be intersting how many former glads do not get glad again.

1 Like

Hit the nail on the head. I saw this also. Look at classic and how god awful it was for casuals to even pvp casually but that was ok ya know bracket stacking for fast GM/HWL. I like the change. Another thing i found amusing was casuals in rated. They can play skirmishes. Rated was never meant to be played by casuals. It was meant to be played by the tryhards and almost every game has a casual system for those that want to just play for the fun of it. I just hear you’re taking away something easy and replacing it with something you actually have to work for. If i as a prot pally cant get the weapon there are plenty in the game that are sufficient. Time to edit your easy glad spreadsheet peeps. It’s not going to be as easy as you thought.

3 Likes

If anyone played much in the sub 1700 bracket in shadowlands over the past couple months then you’d see good and well why this change is kinda bad. A ladder isn’t really functional if you take out a few steps. You need players populating the whole bracket and not just parts of it. Common sense should prevail here.

9 Likes

Then get more people to actually play rated to rank not for easy points. Its supposed to be competitive isnt it?

This has nothing to do with percentages. It’s a consistent problem. The less players you have, the lower ratings will go. Full stop. Period. End of discussion. If you threaten the casual playerbase, which is the MASSIVE MASSIVE majority of the arena system, you will have this problem.

The only thing we don’t know is exactly how bad the problem will be. But when the casual playerbase is the one that is in the crosshairs of being X’d out. You are running the risk of the issue being massive.

1 Like