Why Sylvanas is hated and Arthas isnt?

We have accepted the facts. The facts are that Sylvanas has repeatedly committed numerous atrocities in which she has expressed no remorse or regret similar to what she did to Anduin and what she continues to force people’s souls to suffer in the SL realms, a redemption simply makes no sense in light of numerous mass murders in the name of selfish self-preservation. Even Garrosh was disgusted by her methods, that should say something.

6 Likes

Popularity alone is not going to save a character.

Also you seem to be under the impression that people who dislike Sylvanas are simply uninformed or ignorant. They’re not. There is a LOT to dislike about her, and people rightfully do. Blizzard is simply following the logical next step in all of the story beats that have made people come to be critical of her.

Hell, YOU seem to be the one lost here. All of your “yay queen” threads aren’t going to change the objective truth of Sylvanas Windrunner, no matter how hard you crap yourself.

4 Likes

Well you know that you’re not majorith right? if u look at youtube videos, 70% of ppl likes her more than hate, its just here or wowhead with some nerd lores, u guys talk how you’re majorith but you’re not, Shes the face of WOW, and facts are facts

Speaking for myself, I absolutely despise what has become of Sylvanas and I frankly believe her inclusion not only in the story but as essentially the main character of the game for the past 2 expansions is dragging the entire franchise down.

That said, I really, really liked her from Frozen Throne until Wrath. The no-nonsense, do whatever it takes, ruthless to a fault, committed to her plan, third party villain. They had a great arc with her. While being relatable, you saw that she was heading down a path with no good ending. It was self-destructive and ending it with her accomplishing her goal but finding even that empty and thus killing herself upon the spikes of Icecrown was tragic and just beautiful honestly. Some stories have a sad or bad ending. And that’s okay.

But then Blizzard kept her around because she’s popular and ever since Cataclysm she’s just been a huge mess. She’s waffled back and forth between Villain, anti-hero, champion of the Horde (The most absurd version of her) back to villain, all the meanwhile doing things any other character would have been annihilated for twenty times over.

That is what ruined Sylvanas. And you can’t really salvage her, sadly. Even if Tyrande showed up and killed her, burned her with Elune’s fury, and spat on her ashes, that still wouldn’t be enough to justify all the things she’s done. She’s become such a one-note meme of her original self that there’s no coming back from it. And no matter what Blizzard does, some significant chunk of players will be forever upset at it.

It’s a problem they’ve created for themselves and frankly I don’t feel bad for them getting the heat about that that they are now.

(Now obviously I’m not excusing the psychopaths harassing and threatening developers, that’s terrible and embarrassing and just pathetic).

Having a finality to a character’s storyline is just as important as the arc you tell to get there. Stick to a beginning, middle, and end and deliver on it well and people will remember it forever, even if the character is no longer in the story. Blizzard’s problem is that they see characters solely as advertising fodder and so people very, very rarely die.

I can’t even think of what the largest death World of Warcraft has had. I guess the Lich King? And then probably Varian? Everyone of any kind of import stays alive and it kind of saps all the tension out of a story.

I don’t know how much these official forums support talking about other MMORPGs, so I’ll be brief. But FF14’s first expansion, Heavensward, has a major character death after a satisfying arc and the fact that they stuck to their guns and just kept them dead made the death SO much more impactful. So much so that they are STILL referencing it 5 years and 3 expansions later and players still get the feels for it.

Warcraft could have that if the developers saw the characters as more than just marketing tools to sell the game and as actual characters in a story.

18 Likes

Likes on YouTube are not a measurable statistic for a character’s popularity.

1 Like

It is not so much what she does, but more WHY she does it. We keep getting conflicting motives because blizzard can’t stick to one and run with it. Like in BtS we get a whole internal monologue about how she never wanted to be warchief because it puts her in the spotlight even more as she prefers to scheme from the shadows. Yet in the War of Thorns, its tie in mini novels, BFA and shadows rising we get a Sylvanas that acts like she always wanted to be Warchief because it thrusted her into the best position to cause the most of amount of deaths for her new boy toy.

Well if im judging popularity i’ll look at youtube/instagram/twitter/facebook and almost eveyone loves her character, u dont like the “yass queen” but most of ppl love, your opinion wont change that

Do you have a measurable statistic for “everyone loves her?” or are you just approximating completely free of bias? And furthermore, if you COULD verifiably prove that, could you prove that that would save her? Cause in many things, being a fan favorite does not mean the character is bulletproof. You should take your own advice here:

1 Like

man just google it, just make a search and u will see that im right

No, you made the claim, defend it. The burden of proof is on you.

If I go looking for pro Sylvanas stuff, I’ll find it. If I look for anti, I’ll find that too. Means nothing.

5 Likes

That is not how the game is played. You made a claim, you need to supply the evidence backing it up. It is called ‘burden of proof’.

There is a reason why people like flat earthers and anti-vaxxers are a meme. It is because all they can say is, “do your own research!!! look it up yourself!!!”

6 Likes

well i tried huh? we shall see

Defend your claim.

1 Like

Isn’t this thread just a cry of attention for a guy that just doesn’t want to see the queen of wow R34 to die?

I think OP is a girl.

1 Like

just go for Sylvanas choice cinematic, theres no comment talking bad of her, they’re just romanticizing her and anduin, talking about their voices. 15k of likes versus 500 lore nerds that hates her, its not hard to see that

No, we don’t. Sylvanas had to THINK before she had Teldrassil burned. She did not go in to the WOT with the intention of empowering the Jailer right away. It was a contingency plan that she was reluctant to go ahead with. People just misconstrued dev comments. It was always the Jailer’s or perhaps Mueh’zala’s plan, but it was not always her plan.

yes, i’ll make so much more, like i said if u dont like it move on, bye bye boo

That’s not verifiable proof though. That’s just saying “I like the cinematic,” and comments like that mean they think Josh Keaton and Patty Mattson did great.

Hell, I AGREE with the comments and I liked the video, and I still hate Sylvanas. I’m just a well adjusted adult who didn’t feel the need to spew hate for a character on the video. Try again.

2 Likes

Sylvanas has more plans than Dutch does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgdnQFUuodc&ab_channel=CommieG

1 Like